Low Toxin Logs First Labs back and Thyroid / Metabolic Rate question

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
VITAMIN A (RETINOL): 51 mcg/dL
Range: 38-98

As I don't have a true starting number and I've been loosely following low Vit A / low toxin for about 4 months (about 2 more seriously), I'll have to see where things go from here. I understand that blood measurements often go up before starting to go down. I'm also aware that reference ranges can be very skewed.

I pulled some thyroid numbers at the same time and was surprised to see that almost all the results were showing some problems (TSH VERY up, T3 down, T4 down, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies up).

I had been working with my endocrinologist to reduce my T3/T4 dosage and this was about six weeks after that change. I don't FEEL bad though I am fighting the dreaded weight creep. But I also remembered that I had bumped into a study that showed flush niacin interfering with TSH testing (and maybe other thyroid tests? ). I had slowly worked up to 500mg niacin twice a day - was loving the brain boost. But maybe it was liberating Vitamin A a little too quickly?

Two things I pulled out of my notes (these are paraphrased from bits picked up on Garret Smith's YouTube channel):

[GS] There is an antagonistic relationship (i.e., they are fighting against each other) between Vitamin A carotenoids and Thyroxine thyroid hormone.
[GS] One study gave participants Vitamin A and noticed a decreased metabolic rate.

Has anyone else run into this? Would the best course be to decrease niacin a bit, maybe increase thyroid dosing again, and decrease calories temporarily?

Last edited:
OP
C

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
I think biotin can do this too.
I haven't supplemented biotin but I have a hearty cycle of beans going and just a tiny sliver here and there of spelt bread (along with beef, a bit of rice and oatmeal, apple or banana here and there). But thanks for that reminder about how it might influence test results.

Peater

I haven't supplemented biotin but I have a hearty cycle of beans going and just a tiny sliver here and there of spelt bread (along with beef, a bit of rice and oatmeal, apple or banana here and there). But thanks for that reminder about how it might influence test results.
I don't think that much from food would cause a problem.

Are you getting plenty of sunlight now it's summer? Light depletes VA/speeds up metabolism etc etc. Infra red has benefits too.

OP
C

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
I don't think that much from food would cause a problem.

Are you getting plenty of sunlight now it's summer? Light depletes VA/speeds up metabolism etc etc. Infra red has benefits too.
I live in Southeastern US on the coast and do get outside everyday a bit - walks, going to beach or pool. It's shorts and flip-flop season now, which I love. Did a bit of gardening this afternoon, that type of stuff. I'm not very good about the "go outside at sunrise and get first light in your eyes" thing. Not sure why though - I wake up easily about 530am each morning.

frederic

Forum Supporter
Two things I pulled out of my notes (these are paraphrased from bits picked up on Garret Smith's YouTube channel):

[GS] There is an antagonistic relationship (i.e., they are fighting against each other) between Vitamin A carotenoids and Thyroxine thyroid hormone.
[GS] One study gave participants Vitamin A and noticed a decreased metabolic rate.
By any chance, do you remember which video/s these quotes were taken from?

OP
C

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
By any chance, do you remember which video/s these quotes were taken from?
I'm sorry, I didn't note that (so take my info as unconfirmed). Twice a month, I have a longer drive I need to make and so bring my hand held digital recorder to make a few notes for myself while the YouTube podcast is playing. Then I transcribe later. But it's really just been for my own use to help with learning the details.

But I have seen this study before:
The impact of vitamin A supplementation on thyroid function and insulin sensitivity: implication of deiodinases and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in male Wistar rats - PubMed

Results: The findings demonstrated that long-term supplementation with high doses of vitamin A palmitate resulted in hypothyroidism (lower T3 and T4 levels and elevated TSH levels) as well as upregulation of Dio1 and Dio3 expression levels. This effect was associated with elevated glucose and insulin levels, enhanced HOMA IR, and decreased HOMA B index. In addition, prolonged vitamin A supplementation significantly increased RBP4 levels that upregulated the expression of PEPCK.

Conclusion: High doses of vitamin A supplementation increased the risk of hypothyroidism, modulated insulin sensitivity, and over a long period, increased the incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus associated with oxidative stress and hepatitis.

youngsinatra

A collective thread on this:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals