A "cutting" period

Zigzag

How long should a good cutting period last, ideally? I've been restricting calories since november and combined with PPL type of lifting program. While diet has been on point (IMO), micro/macros calculated well (I focused on maitaining proper c/p ratio) with additional, basic supplementation: mag citrate 400mg a day, 3,5g l-citrulline before workout, 5g creatine and 10mg riboflavin post workout, 100-200mg thiamine hcl with carbs heavier meals.
I might have gotten to the point my body wants to tell me: "stop!". Hair is simply...falling out and while I do suffer from MPB, it's never been like this. I can run my hand through the scalp and 5-6 strands come out each time. Everytime I look at my desk it's at least 10 hairs. Kinda depressing. I suspect thyroid was downregulated, androgens dropped HEAVILY and it's some sort of telogen effluvium. I still need to recomp, some BF needs to be dropped, but I guess I have to take a break for now and get back to maintenance caloric balance, because 8 months cut, even in slow paced took its toll.
Should I do a slow "reverse dieting" or just blast more calories, starting today?

nigma

No supplement/diet thing helped my hair more than doing the scalp massages in all the areas with pain. I no longer have any significant hair fall. Even when stressed out.

Treat your scalp like a dough that needs to be kneaded with a rolling pin. Thats how rough you have to be with it. I think the correct term is detumescence therapy.

whit

How long should a good cutting period last, ideally? I've been restricting calories since november and combined with PPL type of lifting program. While diet has been on point (IMO), micro/macros calculated well (I focused on maitaining proper c/p ratio) with additional, basic supplementation: mag citrate 400mg a day, 3,5g l-citrulline before workout, 5g creatine and 10mg riboflavin post workout, 100-200mg thiamine hcl with carbs heavier meals.
I might have gotten to the point my body wants to tell me: "stop!". Hair is simply...falling out and while I do suffer from MPB, it's never been like this. I can run my hand through the scalp and 5-6 strands come out each time. Everytime I look at my desk it's at least 10 hairs. Kinda depressing. I suspect thyroid was downregulated, androgens dropped HEAVILY and it's some sort of telogen effluvium. I still need to recomp, some BF needs to be dropped, but I guess I have to take a break for now and get back to maintenance caloric balance, because 8 months cut, even in slow paced took its toll.
Should I do a slow "reverse dieting" or just blast more calories, starting today?
Check out Danny Roddys work

Hans

Forum Supporter
No longer than 6 months, and that's slow dieting the way bodybuilders do it. Ideally, you wouldn't want to focus on cutting at all. Optimizing thyroid and dopamine should reduce hunger to the point where you simply eat less and lose fat. Androgens are also very helpful. Clash (Mike Fave) and I discussed it in this vid:

View: https://youtu.be/d1rZvqB0F1Y

Rather do morning walks in the sun, do sprints every now and again (preferable without a shirt in the sun) and focus on stress reduction. That alone should help with fat loss.
How many calories are you currently consuming and how much activity are you doing?

OP
Z

Zigzag

No longer than 6 months, and that's slow dieting the way bodybuilders do it. Ideally, you wouldn't want to focus on cutting at all. Optimizing thyroid and dopamine should reduce hunger to the point where you simply eat less and lose fat. Androgens are also very helpful. Clash (Mike Fave) and I discussed it in this vid:

View: https://youtu.be/d1rZvqB0F1Y

Rather do morning walks in the sun, do sprints every now and again (preferable without a shirt in the sun) and focus on stress reduction. That alone should help with fat loss.
How many calories are you currently consuming and how much activity are you doing?

I've dropped 10kg already and definitely built some muscle mass. That's undeniable. I still need to drop some though, I'm simply not there yet. I probably eat around 2k kcal a day and as I mentioned above, 4-5days PPL type of training a week (I really enjoy it, I don't want to do less :/). I also walk to my office every single day, which gives me a lil bit over 10k steps.
I'm almost positive my body wants me to stop for a while. The worst part is this gynoid fat distribution in legs. I seem to struggle with it the most, while my upper body and arms are super vascular. A very disproportionate look.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've dropped 10kg already and definitely built some muscle mass. That's undeniable. I still need to drop some though, I'm simply not there yet. I probably eat around 2k kcal a day and as I mentioned above, 4-5days PPL type of training a week (I really enjoy it, I don't want to do less :/). I also walk to my office every single day, which gives me a lil bit over 10k steps.
I'm almost positive my body wants me to stop for a while. The worst part is this gynoid fat distribution in legs. I seem to struggle with it the most, while my upper body and arms are super vascular. A very disproportionate look.
It might help to eat at 2500-2750cal for 1 month and then deficit further. 3:1 ratio of diet vs maintenance phase.

Excess fat in lower body can be a sign of estrogen. Estrogen, prolactin and cortisol can promote hair loss since they promote each other.

OP
Z

Zigzag

It might help to eat at 2500-2750cal for 1 month and then deficit further. 3:1 ratio of diet vs maintenance phase.

Excess fat in lower body can be a sign of estrogen. Estrogen, prolactin and cortisol can promote hair loss since they promote each other.
So no slow reverse dieting, but rather a sharp temporary spike and then back to cutting? I'm going to try it.

Hans

Forum Supporter
So no slow reverse dieting, but rather a sharp temporary spike and then back to cutting? I'm going to try it.
Well the spike is just up to or slightly higher than maintenance. Your metabolism will increase and you won't stores any of it. Temporary weight gain might happen if you eat starches, but that will be mostly water weight and will drop when you go back on the deficit.

OP
Z

Zigzag

Well the spike is just up to or slightly higher than maintenance. Your metabolism will increase and you won't stores any of it. Temporary weight gain might happen if you eat starches, but that will be mostly water weight and will drop when you go back on the deficit.
I dropped starches which was probably the biggest factor in my weightloss. I'm perfectly fine with fruit and honey. I'll eat a pizza from time to time with my friends but that's about it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals