Artichokes as a carrot salad/bamboo shoots/mushrooms substitute?

Logan-

This is from @Rinse & rePeat:

1700593470790 2.png

What do you think? Obviously, he didn’t openly claim they can be a substitute, but it would be great if they had similar effects on the intestines. Him writing he doesn’t know of any harm from them is worth noting.

Source: Peat's Carrot Salad Strips Endotoxin - Same as Dinkov's Cellulose Fiber?

Last edited:
This is from @Rinse & rePeat:

View attachment 58432

What do you think? Obviously, he didn’t openly claim they can be a substitute, but it would be great if they had similar effects on the intestines. Him writing he doesn’t know of any harm from them is worth noting.
I don’t know where exactly I read it on this forum, but Ray Peat endorsed mushrooms, but he gave them up. I cannot tolerate those long cooked mushroom, because on both occasions they gave me bad stomach pain, my girlfriend too. I can eat all the mushrooms I want otherwise, cooked normally. Lately I have been seeing cellulose endorsed on this forum, but I never heard Ray Peat talk of that, but it seems to have the same action. I think Ray Peat talks about what he knows, but it doesn’t mean he has explored everything. It just seems to me he didn’t eat artichokes much, probably because of the cost and maybe inconvenience.

OP
L

Logan-

I think, instead of steaming or roasting, I will boil the artichokes in water to reduce its fodmap content. Then put them on a plate, add salt and EVOO. Then eat.

OP
L

Logan-

It still sounds yummy to me!

For a veggie meal, it’s rather bland; but thanks for the encouragement. :)

If I could tolerate them, I would at least add garlic and lemon to that. One can also get a little creative and add some sliced, cooked pears and other things too, I think.

mushrooms can be problematic if you do too many. A tablespoon of well cooked ones seems like a good amount.

For a veggie meal, it’s rather bland; but thanks for the encouragement. :)

If I could tolerate them, I would at least add garlic and lemon to that. One can also get a little creative and add some sliced cooked pears and other things too, I think.
I think they are most effective eaten away from food, like most antibiotics. I like my roasted ones with the garlic too and rosemary for a power boost, so I eat my cooked artichokes as THE meal.

OP
L

Logan-

I have eaten more than a kilogram of well cooked button mushrooms in a day on numerous occasions without any noticeable problems.

mushrooms can be problematic if you do too many. A tablespoon of well cooked ones seems like a good amount.
I have always eaten lots of mushrooms in any amount, cooked any which way, even stuffing big potabellos and baking or grilling them, but the two times I did those Ray Peat recommended long cooked ones, letting the liquids run out, it was painful, for more than 24 hours. It concentrated something in them or changed something. They were really tasty cooked that way, but the weren’t very nice.,

I tried cellulose but couldn't tolerate it. Something about it is very unnatural and weird.
It depends on what the cellulose is made from…

“The FDA is warning pasta and pizza lovers that cheese labeled “100 percent Parmesan” are often filled with cheese substitutes—like wood pulp.

Yes, you’ve been eating wood, thanks to companies like Castle Cheese, which produced Parmesan cheese containing no actual Parmesan for almost 30 years. The president of the company, which supplied megastores like Target, is scheduled to plead guilty this month to charges that carry a sentence of up to a year in prison and a $100,o00 fine, according to Bloomberg.

Bloomberg ran experiments on store-bought grated cheese to test for wood pulp content in a lab and found that many cheeses have cellulose, which is made from wood pulp. Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, from Jewel-Osco, contained 8.8 percent cellulose. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese had 7.8 percent cellulose. Whole Foods 365 brand didn’t list cellulose as an ingredient, and tested at 0.3 percent. Kraft had 3.8 percent cellulose.“

I have always eaten lots of mushrooms in any amount, cooked any which way, even stuffing big potabellos and baking or grilling them, but the two times I did those Ray Peat recommended long cooked ones, letting the liquids run out, it was painful, for more than 24 hours. It concentrated something in them or changed something. They were really tasty cooked that way, but the weren’t very nice.,
that's very strange.

lvysaur

Diet should be based on instinct

raw carrots are the gold standard of antibiotic foods. They are both chemically and mechanically (scraping intestine) antibiotic
raw coconut is mechanically similar to carrots, but lacks the chemical antibiotics. Its fiber has the same "hard to swallow" quality as carrot. I think it can cause gas in people with bad microbiome, because it's just cellulose-fermenting bacteria. If coconut gives gas, it probably means the gut has few cellulose-eating bacteria, and other bacteria instead (which is probably a bad thing?)

bamboo shoots, hearts of palm, and artichoke are fundamentally the same vegetable, and are different from raw carrot (maybe because they're cooked)--they are not as mechanically abrasive as carrot/coconut, but they are still good regular sources of fiber that are easy to ingest

apples are a good fruit fiber and probably abrade the intestines, blueberries likely do this too
mango is not, it's gummy and soft and should be eaten as a dessert. Same with pear and peaches and strawberries.
if you blend mango/strawberry/peach in a blender, it will form a "gel". Apples and blueberries will form no gel, but will be gritty.
Only a gritty mass can actually scrub the intestine (provided you walk around enough). A gel mass does little

"Some fibers, such as raw carrots, that are effective for lowering endotoxin absorption also contain natural antibiotics, so regular use of carrots should be balanced by occasional supplementation with vitamin K, or by occasionally eating liver or broccoli."

OP
L

Logan-

I have been eating artichoke hearts that were “canned” in glass containers - uncooked version. Just water, citric acid, salt and the artichokes.

I think the canned versions may be better digested and less problematic, less inflammatory because the process decreases the FODMAPs in the artichokes, provably even some toxins. Just make sure to discard the liquid in the glass container before you cook the artichokes.

I cook them with salt, water (new water), olive oil. In a pressure cooker, six minutes of cooking is enough.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals