Ayahuasca Question

NommyWommy

Hi just wondering if someone can help me I have been on a waiting list for an Ayahuasca ceremony which I didn't really expect to get on. I got an email today to say I have been accepted however it is in 4 days and for the last 3 days I have been taking 2.5mg of Bromocryptine. My last dose was 8am today if I stop now will I be okay to take Ayahuasca? Please any help would be much appreciated.

FiveAsh

Most ayahuasca shamans are very sensitive to any pharmaceutical medication being taken close to the time of ayahuasca. I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you if your taking any medication and if they let you proceed if you were honest with them about the bromocryptine; regardless of whether there is a toxic interaction between the two.

When i was in south america in 2012, a boy died while on a ceremony, the papers in England tried to blame it on the psychedelic but there was no mention that the boy was actually on anti-psychotic medication and its known that those are a seriously toxic combo.

-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2613804/Pictured-British-tourist-19-dead-remote-Colombian-road-tribal-drug-ritual-went-wrong.html

From Wikipedia:

-"It can be mixed with the leaves of Chacruna or Chagropanga, dimethyltryptamine (DMT)-containing plant species. It has been reported that some effects can be felt from consuming the caapi vine alone, but that DMT-containing plants (such asPsychotria viridis) remain inactive when drunk as a brew without a source of monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as B. caapi.[2] "

keith

Drug Interactions With Bromocriptine
Lists MAOIs as a potential drug interaction, but doesn't explain why. I might try to reach out to a pharmacist if you can, to see what the potential issues would be taking that amount of bromocriptine and taking an MAOI 4 days later.

I would make sure you are very certain about any potential impact before you take part. I've never taken ayahuasca myself, although I am very curious, but have taken some substances with similar effects in the past, and in addition to possible significant health concerns, the experience itself could be significantly altered by any safety doubts you may have going in. While health concerns are the top issue, state of mind is high priority going into an intense experience like ayahuasca is reported to be. Hope that helps. I would be interested in hearing about your experience if you do move ahead with it, but make sure you will be safe and at peace with your decision.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
When I took it 9 or so years ago I was instructed to avoid any SSRI and MAOI drugs for two weeks prior but I honestly don't know if there are any other possible interactions. If you can't get a definite answer I can ask someone I know who is a pharmacologist and used to brew his own ayahuasca from Syrian Rue. I think there might be different 'strains' of ayahuasca as well which could add another layer of concern/confusion. As far as I know DMT is the active component in all types though. Just message me if you want me to check with him.

OP
N

NommyWommy

Thanks for the replies. I have confirmed my place but I think unless I can get a clear answer this may play on my mind as Keith mentions. I read the half life of Bromocryptine is 12 hours if that helps. Blossom would you mind asking your pharmacology friend? The brew I will be taking will be Banisteriopsis Caapi' and the leaf of a plant Psychotria Viridis.

Thank you so much for your replies.

OP
N

NommyWommy

Bit late in replying but just thought I would update this to say all went fine with the ceremony. Had a very powerful experience along with an ego death which this time was fine as in the past I resisted heavily. I realise that my only job during the process is to observe and face whatever is bought up which is often painful and uncomfortable and it seems almost to be fear testing me pushing me into very challenging situations with death, sex etc. but the more I accept everything it seems that lesson is learnt.

Makrosky

Bit late in replying but just thought I would update this to say all went fine with the ceremony. Had a very powerful experience along with an ego death which this time was fine as in the past I resisted heavily. I realise that my only job during the process is to observe and face whatever is bought up which is often painful and uncomfortable and it seems almost to be fear testing me pushing me into very challenging situations with death, sex etc. but the more I accept everything it seems that lesson is learnt.

Don't forget ego is important and necessary. We need the ego. We just only have to tame it.

And also I think visionary substances like Ayahuasca are... Visionary. To see. But it is you who has to act upon what you saw. The plant won't make the changes in your life you need to do.

This is just my experience. Thanks for sharing!!! I hope it all goes well from now on.

Ayahuasca is an amazing substance.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals