Bladder stones in 9 year old dog

Yggr

Dear anyone, please can you help find a solution for my dogs bladder stones? I searched the forum and for any commentary from Peat and can’t seem to find any solution for eliminating or reducing bladder stones.

Thank you for any assistance.

Dr. Peat once told me through email that bladder stones often have to be removed surgically. I think they are a result of not voiding the bladder fully over a long period of time. I will do some research on this topic as it has come up with people I know.

OP
Yggr

Yggr

Dr. Peat once told me through email that bladder stones often have to be removed surgically. I think they are a result of not voiding the bladder fully over a long period of time. I will do some research on this topic as it has come up with people I know.
Thank you, that seems to be the solution I’m finding as well.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I am using Zeta Aid daily. Dr. T.C. McDaniel, who formulated Zeta Aid, claimed that kidney stones can get dissolved in 48 hours (hard to believe!) with the use of Zeta Aid. So I must assume that it therefore should also be able to dissolve bladder stones. One of the main ingredients in Zeta Aid is potassium citrate. But sodium citrate should work, too, according to Thomas M. Riddick who wrote a book about colloidal stability and the Zeta Potential. You can easily make sodium citrate yourself: take the juice of a lemon and add baking soda until it stops fizzing. This releases the CO2 from the baking bicarbonate and then the sodium ion binds with the citrate acid to form sodium citrate. Give this your dog to drink, I think a single lemon given in three servings should be fine: dilute 1/3 of the sodium citrate into 16 oz of water for each serving. Depending on the amount of water your dog consumes each day, you may have to adjust the dilution. You could add a bit of sugar to make it taste better. If your dogs doesn't want to drink it, you could use a smaller dilution and put it into a type of syringe and force-feed it to the dog. You can look through my past posts on the Zeta Potential.

Nokoni

I've had literally dozens of stones over the past couple dozen years. I eventually found chanca piedra, which seemed to help some. I don't get them anymore, and I'm not sure what made them go away, but it might have been from explicitly supplementing with a variety of minerals. But I have one odd clue that might be helpful.

A dozen years ago I took the family on a vacation to the Outer Banks. We spent many many hours in the water over the course of the week. On the day we were leaving I felt a stone coming out. When I relieved myself a half dozen or so stones came out. Then at the first potty break on the drive home, several more came out. And over the next few days four or five more came out. I knew they were stacked up in there because for some years prior I had suffered the pain of them moving down my ureter, but then nothing came out. About that time I had serious abdominal pain so went to the ER with what I assumed was a really big stone, but the doc said the pain wasn't where it should be. Imaging showed that I had an inflamed diverticulum, but it also showed that there were a pile of stones stacked up at the entrance to my bladder.

Anyhow, the point is that something about that vacation was really beneficial to my urinary system, and the only thing different that I could think of was all the time spent in the ocean water. And ocean water if full of minerals. Best explanation I've got for a truly bizarre event. Since that time I've only had a few stones, and it's probably also true that I wasn't supplementing minerals prior to that time. Not proof by any means, but in your situation I'd try both the chanca piedra and mineral supplements.

OP
Yggr

Yggr

I am using Zeta Aid daily. Dr. T.C. McDaniel, who formulated Zeta Aid, claimed that kidney stones can get dissolved in 48 hours (hard to believe!) with the use of Zeta Aid. So I must assume that it therefore should also be able to dissolve bladder stones. One of the main ingredients in Zeta Aid is potassium citrate. But sodium citrate should work, too, according to Thomas M. Riddick who wrote a book about colloidal stability and the Zeta Potential. You can easily make sodium citrate yourself: take the juice of a lemon and add baking soda until it stops fizzing. This releases the CO2 from the baking bicarbonate and then the sodium ion binds with the citrate acid to form sodium citrate. Give this your dog to drink, I think a single lemon given in three servings should be fine: dilute 1/3 of the sodium citrate into 16 oz of water for each serving. Depending on the amount of water your dog consumes each day, you may have to adjust the dilution. You could add a bit of sugar to make it taste better. If your dogs doesn't want to drink it, you could use a smaller dilution and put it into a type of syringe and force-feed it to the dog. You can look through my past posts on the Zeta Potential.
Thank you so much Stephan! I will definitely give this a try. Most likely will have to use the syringe.

OP
Yggr

Yggr

I've had literally dozens of stones over the past couple dozen years. I eventually found chanca piedra, which seemed to help some. I don't get them anymore, and I'm not sure what made them go away, but it might have been from explicitly supplementing with a variety of minerals. But I have one odd clue that might be helpful.

A dozen years ago I took the family on a vacation to the Outer Banks. We spent many many hours in the water over the course of the week. On the day we were leaving I felt a stone coming out. When I relieved myself a half dozen or so stones came out. Then at the first potty break on the drive home, several more came out. And over the next few days four or five more came out. I knew they were stacked up in there because for some years prior I had suffered the pain of them moving down my ureter, but then nothing came out. About that time I had serious abdominal pain so went to the ER with what I assumed was a really big stone, but the doc said the pain wasn't where it should be. Imaging showed that I had an inflamed diverticulum, but it also showed that there were a pile of stones stacked up at the entrance to my bladder.

Anyhow, the point is that something about that vacation was really beneficial to my urinary system, and the only thing different that I could think of was all the time spent in the ocean water. And ocean water if full of minerals. Best explanation I've got for a truly bizarre event. Since that time I've only had a few stones, and it's probably also true that I wasn't supplementing minerals prior to that time. Not proof by any means, but in your situation I'd try both the chanca piedra and mineral supplements.
Thank you Nokoni, that's a very interesting story, I will have a look if there are any pet formulated mineral supplements available and also give this a try.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals