CO2 and demethylation

Milklove

Ray Peat mentionend that increased tissue CO2 levels trigger demethylation. Is anyone familiar with the process and can explain it to me? And how fast is the demethylation process?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Milklove said:
Ray Peat mentionend that increased tissue CO2 levels trigger demethylation. Is anyone familiar with the process and can explain it to me? And how fast is the demethylation process?
Ray Peat has an article on his website http://www.raypeat.com entitled Protective CO2 and Aging that discusses this issue and is a great read if you haven't seen it yet.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Yes, that is the article that got me interested about the demethylation process.

Ray Peat said:
Moderate methionine restriction (for example, using gelatin regularly in the diet) might be practical, but if increased carbon dioxide can activate the demethylase enzymes in a controlled way, it might be a useful treatment for the degenerative diseases and for aging itself.

Peat doesn't say more about the process. But how does co2 activate the demethylation enzymes?
And I was wondering whether a spike of co2 is enough to activate the enzymes or constantly high levels of co2 are necessary?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
He probably does say more and I'm just not aware. I just knew that specifically that particular article discusses the topic. You raise some great questions that I'm sure some of our more scientific members might know the answers to hopefully. If I run across anything helpful I'll be sure to post!

He cites a study from 2008 which I can't find. At the very least carbon dioxide shields protein and nucleic acids from damage, though.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Milklove said:
Yes, that is the article that got me interested about the demethylation process.

Ray Peat said:
Moderate methionine restriction (for example, using gelatin regularly in the diet) might be practical, but if increased carbon dioxide can activate the demethylase enzymes in a controlled way, it might be a useful treatment for the degenerative diseases and for aging itself.

Peat doesn't say more about the process. But how does co2 activate the demethylation enzymes?
And I was wondering whether a spike of co2 is enough to activate the enzymes or constantly high levels of co2 are necessary?

Try to search the forum for "methylation". Other forum members and I posted some studies and articles. Perhaps the most direct way for demethylation, other than raising CO2, is either methionine restriction, BCAA or niacinamide supplementation. Niacinamide depletes methionine in the body and this may be one reason why some people experience elevated liver enzymes briefly while taking niacinamide, however it looks like this elevation is not worrisome. Also, a relatively low dose of BCAA inhibit methionine absorption from food in the gut by at least 35%.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Cool. Do you know what is more effective: bag breathing 3 times a day or supplementation of niacinamide/ BCAA?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Milklove said:
Cool. Do you know what is more effective: bag breathing 3 times a day or supplementation of niacinamide/ BCAA?

I'd go with both if possible, b/c they have different pathways of reducing methylation. Bag breathing probably has more immediate benefits since more CO2 means better oxygenation and more energy.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Try to search the forum for "methylation". Other forum members and I posted some studies and articles. Perhaps the most direct way for demethylation, other than raising CO2, is either methionine restriction, BCAA or niacinamide supplementation. Niacinamide depletes methionine in the body and this may be one reason why some people experience elevated liver enzymes briefly while taking niacinamide, however it looks like this elevation is not worrisome. Also, a relatively low dose of BCAA inhibit methionine absorption from food in the gut by at least 35%.
Haidut,
Would you know what "a relatively low dose of BCAA" is?
Thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals