Cortisol Lowers Estrogen - Cortisol Used To Treat Cancer, Autoimmunity, And More

haidut

Forum Supporter
Let me put it different :

Most of the supplements and research chems from idealabs have cortisol lowering abilities.
If someone suffers from chronic low cortisol, should one avoid substances that lower cortisol even more?

Reverse T3 (also called Reverse Triiodothyronine) - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Yes, if cortisol is confirmed low then I think a person should work with a doctor to find out what the reason is and not take supplements which may lower the cortisol even more.
That link does not really have much reliable information. It also says high cortisol increases rT3. Saying both high and low cortisol increase rT3 does not say much. They list only 2 studies and they only say that 1) systemic illness increases rT3 and lowers T3 and 2) fasting increases rT3 and lowers T3. No mentioning of cortisol but the first study lists cirrhosis as one of the conditions and those people usually have high cortisol and high prolactin. The second study discusses fasting, which also raises cortisol. So, I am not seeing anything provided as explanation as why low cortisol will raise rT3. If you have any references please let me know.

Last edited:

sele

Let me put it different :

Most of the supplements and research chems from idealabs have cortisol lowering abilities.
If someone suffers from chronic low cortisol, should one avoid substances that lower cortisol even more?

Reverse T3 (also called Reverse Triiodothyronine) - Stop The Thyroid Madness
Stop The Thyroid Madness (STTM) is one of the 'theories' I followed and took cortisol because my cortisol was low.
Reading Ray Peat has given me more scientific knowledge and understanding that I will not be mislead anymore into snake oil treatments.
Low thyroid will always lead to stress.
High stress will release high cortisol.
Cortisol is not supposed to run your metabolism. Raw materials for cortisol will deplete and cortisol will be low.
Low cortisol does not cause RT3. It's the other way around.
So I think we are looking at low cortisol from a wrong standpoint.
I will never trust STTM. Anyone who wants to is very welcome and good luck!

sweetpeat

So how did you fixed your low cortisol state?
I wish I could say I was “fixed”, @Bodhi. Still working on it, but I'm currently holding out hope that it's the hypothyroidism causing low cortisol. At least in my case: I have below range t4 when I don't supplement thyroid. NDT didn't work for me though because it's not the right ratio for my needs. Other people do well on it, so I don't want to seem to be putting forth the idea that NDT is no good. For me personally, I need a higher t4 ratio and very little t3. I fear my thyroid may be damaged from years of under-eating and stress, but I really don't know why I need so much t4. Finding the right ratio, dosage, and timing is my current project. It's slow going because I make small increases. I find too big of an increase to be too stimulating. Reducing stress and getting enough nutrition, light, and rest have also been important for the healing process.

Also, as mentioned in posts above, I'm cautious about taking anything during the day that will lower my cortisol or cause sleepiness. This takes lots of trial and error. Pregnenolone is kind of hit or miss for me in terms of immediate results. I continue taking it because I figure I need it at my age, but I'm only taking 10mg once or twice a day.

I've also just started experimenting again with caffeine/coffee. Caffeine stimulates the ACTH, but I think it's important not to push too hard on the adrenals if they are weak and the metabolism isn't well supported. In the past, coffee didn't do too much for my energy levels. Lately, I've found that 25-50mg caffeine early in the day gives me a little boost without disrupting my sleep. I'm hoping the caffeine is a temporary fix that I can mostly drop when I've optimized my thyroid. I did a thyroid increase just yesterday and was able to skip the coffee today.

Georgina

I have some experience here.

I have a condition called hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism, which means that I do not ovulate, produce estrogen or have periods because of chronically elevated cortisol levels. What happens is that over time, high glucocorticoid levels inhibit the production of gonadotropin releasing hormone, which in turn stop the release of luteinizing hormones, which then prevents ovulation, estrogen production etc. What high cortisol levels also does is OVER stimulates androgen production and suppresses immune responses in he body, which include eosinophils, important proinflammatory cytokines and T cells. So being in this state where you have little or no estrogen production, no ovulation, raised androgens and suppressed immunity means you are basically infertile, you are at risk of hereditary hairloss, your normal growth factors are thrown out of whack and your bones, skin - everything is affected, oh and you become sick easily. Lowering your estrogen with cortisol is a really really bad idea. I would suggest you see an endocrinologist and get a professional to help you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals