Low Toxin Studies "Dextrose Therapy in Diseases of the Liver", paper from 1933

mosaic01

"Of the greatest importance in deficiency of glycogen in the liver is the impairment of the hepatic function of detoxication. Experimentally, Sansum and Woodyatt found that animals treated with phlorhizin are easier to kill with chloroform than are normal animals ; while Davis and Bollman noticed that such hepatic poisons as chloroform, carbon tetrachloride and a reduced phosphorus are more effective in animals with a reduced glycogen content of the liver. Guttmann found that undernutrition markedly increases the incidence of arsphenamine icterus. Baehr and Klemperer observed similarly that diabetic patients on a low carbohydrate diet stood arsenical therapy poorly and frequently developed jaundice."

"There are several ways in which dextrose, and the same applies to glycogen, has been proved to have an allaying action in hepatic injury. In the first place, dextrose neutralizes many exogenous and endogenous toxins. This may be accomplished by partial oxidation to less toxic compounds or by complete oxidation to carbon dioxide and water. Another path lies through conjugation to nontoxic glycuronates. The latter is known to occur with cresols, phenols, salicylates, camphor, and many substances containing these compounds (e.g., morphine). Confirmatively, Becher found that the phenols of the blood are increased, and Sauer has shown that the glycuronic acid of the urine is diminished in patients suffering from various types of diseases of the liver. In the second place, under carbohydrate therapy, repair of the injured liver proceeds much more rapidly. This was demonstrated in dogs by Davis, Hall and after poisoning with chloroform and by Whipple Ravdin in experimental obstructive jaundice following removal of the ligature of the common bile duct."

"SUMMARY

1. The presence of a certain amount of glycogen in the liver is essential for the proper functioning of this organ.
2. In diseases of the liver, insufficient gluconeogenesis causes "internal" carbohydrate starvation, which results in a reduction of hepatic glycogen, probably largely through depletion of that part of it which serves as a storage form of carbohydrate.
3. Both in experimental animals with hepatic damage and in patients with diseases of the liver, it is possible by administration of suitable amounts of dextrose to relieve the internal shortage of carbohydrate and, as a result of this, to bring about glycogen storage.
4. Dextrose therapy is indicated in all cases of primary and secondary hepatic disease.
5. Oral administration of dextrose is the method of choice unless contraindications are present."

One of the most important endogenous substances for detoxification of the liver is glucaric acid (glucoronidaton). It is derived from glucose, and in german it's also called sugar acid.

A single apple contains up to 150mg of glucaric acid. Glucose intake boosts glucaric acid synthesis. Intake of 30-50g of dextrose per day is probably helpful to support liver detoxification and sufficient glycogen storage.

Attachments

• DEXTROSE THERAPY IN DISEASES OF THE LIVER -- ALTHAUSEN, T. L. -- JAMA The Journal of the Ameri...pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Peater

I bought some bulk dextrose but paused using it as I wasn't sure if it agreed with me. I think it might have just been a natural part of the low A adaptation.

The only thing I thought is are there any concerns with contamination in how it is manufactured?

youngsinatra

Verrrrrry interesting find!

I prefer white rice for glucose personally.

OP
M

mosaic01

A week or two of "glycogen loading" with pure dextrose may be helpful for some, as not everyone may be able to get sufficient glycogen from starches, due to the energy intensive digestion process.

The study notes that around 300-400g per day have been used in a clinical setting, and from what I've heard bodybuilders tend to use up to 100g per day. 30-50g seems to be a reasonable dose on the background of a high starch diet. Easily available dextrose should solve cases of "internal carbohydrate starvation" of the liver.

"It is desirable to give to patients with hepatic disease rather large amounts of dextrose because, by supplying enough of it for all energy requirements, one is sparing the liver the effort of producing dextrose from non-carbohydrate sources. The human body at rest requires 30 calories or 8 Gm. of dextrose per kilogram of weight. An individual weighing 70 Kg. needs, thus, 560 Gm. of dextrose. Assuming that daily about 300 Gm. of carbohydrate can be readily obtained from the diet, there remains 260 Gm. of dextrose which can be supplemented advantageously. This figure will be higher if the patient is permitted physical activity. Sections from the liver of patients who received dextrose in amounts satisfying all energy requirements demonstrate by their high content of glycogen that the desired objective had been reached."

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Will of Europa right again.

valzim

"Of the greatest importance in deficiency of glycogen in the liver is the impairment of the hepatic function of detoxication. Experimentally, Sansum and Woodyatt found that animals treated with phlorhizin are easier to kill with chloroform than are normal animals ; while Davis and Bollman noticed that such hepatic poisons as chloroform, carbon tetrachloride and a reduced phosphorus are more effective in animals with a reduced glycogen content of the liver. Guttmann found that undernutrition markedly increases the incidence of arsphenamine icterus. Baehr and Klemperer observed similarly that diabetic patients on a low carbohydrate diet stood arsenical therapy poorly and frequently developed jaundice."

"There are several ways in which dextrose, and the same applies to glycogen, has been proved to have an allaying action in hepatic injury. In the first place, dextrose neutralizes many exogenous and endogenous toxins. This may be accomplished by partial oxidation to less toxic compounds or by complete oxidation to carbon dioxide and water. Another path lies through conjugation to nontoxic glycuronates. The latter is known to occur with cresols, phenols, salicylates, camphor, and many substances containing these compounds (e.g., morphine). Confirmatively, Becher found that the phenols of the blood are increased, and Sauer has shown that the glycuronic acid of the urine is diminished in patients suffering from various types of diseases of the liver. In the second place, under carbohydrate therapy, repair of the injured liver proceeds much more rapidly. This was demonstrated in dogs by Davis, Hall and after poisoning with chloroform and by Whipple Ravdin in experimental obstructive jaundice following removal of the ligature of the common bile duct."

"SUMMARY

1. The presence of a certain amount of glycogen in the liver is essential for the proper functioning of this organ.
2. In diseases of the liver, insufficient gluconeogenesis causes "internal" carbohydrate starvation, which results in a reduction of hepatic glycogen, probably largely through depletion of that part of it which serves as a storage form of carbohydrate.
3. Both in experimental animals with hepatic damage and in patients with diseases of the liver, it is possible by administration of suitable amounts of dextrose to relieve the internal shortage of carbohydrate and, as a result of this, to bring about glycogen storage.
4. Dextrose therapy is indicated in all cases of primary and secondary hepatic disease.
5. Oral administration of dextrose is the method of choice unless contraindications are present."

One of the most important endogenous substances for detoxification of the liver is glucaric acid (glucoronidaton). It is derived from glucose, and in german it's also called sugar acid.

A single apple contains up to 150mg of glucaric acid. Glucose intake boosts glucaric acid synthesis. Intake of 30-50g of dextrose per day is probably helpful to support liver detoxification and sufficient glycogen storage.
Thanks for posting this. I need to up my dextrose a bit. I'm not entirely sure of Dr. Smith's stance on dextrose. He said dextrose wasn't the panacea some people think it is. But does he think it's harmful? To me, it seems to be a valuable tool to help liver detox.

Nick

Is 150mg a lot for food? I find that apples are particularly good at satisfying a certain kind of hunger that I think is related to glycogen depletion due to detox demands of the liver. Unfortunately I can't always tolerate the fiber in apples if I am already producing too much bile. I wonder if apple juice also has glucaric acid.

OP
M

mosaic01

Is 150mg a lot for food?

It seems so. It's actually more than I read elsewhere - if an apple weighs 150g, then the glucaric acid content is more than 500mg per apple:

"In the present study, d-glucaric acid content in various fruits and vegetables was found to range from about 0.1 g/kg in grapes and lettuce to about 3.5 g/kg in apples and broccoli."

So why take calcium glucarate supplements when one can simply eat 2-3 apples every day.

Edit: The above is a pretty old study, and this newer study shows a combined glucaric acid and 1,4-GL content of around 100mg per 100g in apples.

Last edited:

Nokoni

I tune up my sweet tooth daily with Charlie's low-A cake surmounted by a generous pile of dextrose. Delicious way to start the day. Thanks Charlie.

Nokoni

What is the recipe for the Low A cake if I may ask?
Here you go — Easiest Vanilla Cake (No eggs, No milk, No butter!)

No eggs, no milk, no butter needed. But it does call for sugar. We substitute dextrose instead (I think one for one, but I'm not the actual cook), which is less sweet. That's why I put dextrose on top when I grab a piece. I think she may also add a bit of baking soda but I'm not sure. Good luck.

Edit: Forgot to add, we also substitute coconut oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals