Feeling Bad On Raw Salad

Wagner83

I didn’t know potatoes can be ingested raw. Spud fit did it wrong I guess. Greens should always be boiled or steamed. There’s no reason to eat large amounts of olives onions and peppers in one sitting. The olives and cheese are high fat which fills your blood with fat quickly. Peppers are not optimal for most. Could be poor quality enzymes in the cheese.
Cooked then cooled potatoes have much more resistant starch than simply cooked potatoes, it can make a big difference, at least it does for me.

Cooked then cooled potatoes have much more resistant starch than simply cooked potatoes, it can make a big difference, at least it does for me.

I was being sarcastic about raw. Even if you cool them as soon as you swallow them they warm up to your nearly 100° body temperature. The concept of resistant starch is futile. The way people talk about it sounds like they should just eat oat bran or psyllium husk. Most of it is in beans anyway which most who got over their potato fear still avoid. And the small amount of RS in potatoes still doesn’t compare to the amount of non RS thus showing its futility. There’s still plenty of starch in it all.

And what’s the point of trying to resist the starch, the main source of sugar in that food? It’s odd. Just eat a fiber supplement if you don’t want the sugar.

Wagner83

I was being sarcastic about raw. Even if you cool them as soon as you swallow them they warm up to your nearly 100° body temperature. The concept of resistant starch is futile. The way people talk about it sounds like they should just eat oat bran or psyllium husk. Most of it is in beans anyway which most who got over their potato fear still avoid. And the small amount of RS in potatoes still doesn’t compare to the amount of non RS thus showing its futility. There’s still plenty of starch in it all.
It's not futile because I can tell the difference. Amazoniac has a post on the relevance of cooked then cooked potatoes /rice in terms of increased resistant starch content. I wish it wasn't true because life would be easier.
I can link to the post but have to go through all the pms.

tara

I didn’t know potatoes can be ingested raw.
I wouldn't recommend it. Apart from the taste etc, I think they contain some protease inhibitors. Maybe other things too.

dbh25

I wouldn't recommend it. Apart from the taste etc, I think they contain some protease inhibitors. Maybe other things too.
In addition to cooking veggies, why not have 2 eggs cooked in coconut oil?

tara

Can anyone explain to me from a Peat standpoint why I feel my brain is cloudy and my energy is low after a big raw vegetable salad (pepers, feta cheese, olives, onions, spinach leaves, potatoes)?
Could be any number of things, your personal state determining which is most bothersome for you.
- Was it supposed to be lunch? Are you still hungry?
- There is plenty of opportunity in those ingredients for gut irritation.
- I don't know if anyone digests raw potato well - they contain some enzyme/protease inhibitors.
- All the other foods are ones that some people manage fine with, but some people find too irritating.
- Spinach is high in oxalic acid
- Peppers irritate quite a few people (others are fine with them, or better with them cooked)
- Some people don't tolerate dairy
- Raw onions can be irritating
- Stretching and friction in the GI tract tends to stimulate serotonin release.
- Did you have a dressing with it? If so ... ingredients?

If it were me, the feta and raw potatoes would do me in.
I seem to benefit sometimes from a small amount (but not a large amount) of raw greens like spinach along with or followed by more easily digested energy-dense food. For me, raw onions (and garlic) have pros and cons.

Wagner83

Along with my own experience those below are what I referred to when I said cooked-then-cooled potatoes are not the same as freshly cooked ones:
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/the-travis-corner.21611/page-37#post-321569
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/boiled-and-mashed-potato.16990/#post-232457

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals