Feverfew to lower Serotonin?

Peata

Has anyone used Feverfew? It's supposed to be good for lowering serotonin and is known to help migraines, rheumatoid arthritis, digestion, stop inflammation, and more. I'm interested in the lowered serotonin part since I may not be able to get cyproheptadine. Feverfew is available easily and cheap too.

pboy

I have not...but one thing is for certain, you will have few fevers

aguilaroja

I experimented with Feverfew, with little difference good or bad, many years previous to studying Dr. Peat's work. After later reading report of anti-serotonin activities, I thought about using it again. But I did not feel knowledgeable enough about parthenolide and the sesquiterpene lactones to proceed. Also, feverfew has other ingredients such as flavonoids and volatile oils. I would be interested to hear the feverfew experiences of others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3210009/

"Researchers have demonstrated that parthenolide noncompetitively inhibited serotonin (5-HT)-mediated spasmogenic response of indirect-acting 5-HT agonists in isolated rat stomach fundus preparation. Parthenolide noncompetitively antagonized the contractions elicited by the serotonergic drugs fenfluramine and dextroamphetamine on the fundal tissue. The mechanism of action associated with parthenolide does not involve the inhibition of 5-HT2 receptors directly, but rather occurs at the level of 5-HT stored in vesicles of the intramural neurons of fundal tissue....."

"Feverfew action does not appear to be limited to a single mechanism. Plant extracts affect a wide variety of physiologic pathways. Some of these mechanisms have been discussed previously, including inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis, decrease of vascular smooth muscle spasm, and blockage of platelet granule secretion."

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, A, much appreciated. I'm planning to pick some up this week.

I wonder if it can be used "as needed" or if you have to take it a while to build up in one's system. Do you remember the dosage you used?

OP
Peata

Peata

I guess the powder (capsule?) form is the more potent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11603284

Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2000 Dec;21(12):1106-14.
5-Hydroxytryptamine-inhibiting property of Feverfew: role of parthenolide content.
Mittra S1, Datta A, Singh SK, Singh A.
Author information
Abstract
AIM:

To study the mechanism of antimigraine activity of Tanacetum parthenium (Feverfew), its extracts and parthenolide, a component of Feverfew, by observing their effect on 5-HT storage and release, and stimulation of 5-HT2B and 5-HT2A receptors. Also to standardize a dosage form of Feverfew with respect to its parthenolide content.
METHODS:

Isometric responses to 5-HT and an indirect acting serotonergic, d-fenfluramine, were obtained on rat fundus and ileum. In one set of experiments the effect of dichloromethane extract of Feverfew and parthenolide was observed on the above. The extract was then thermally degraded upto 10%, 23%, and 33% with respect to its parthenolide content by keeping at 60 degrees C and 75% relative humidity and the experiments were repeated. In another set of experiments rats were fed with 20 mg/kg Feverfew powder (equivalent to a human dose of 500 micrograms parthenolide per day) for 30 d or were i.p. injected with parthenolide (23.4 micrograms/day) for 7 d. In the same set of experiments one group of rats were fed with 15% and 77% degraded Feverfew powder in the same dose as mentioned above. After 30 days the effects of the above were observed on 5-HT and d-fenfluramine. Feverfew was specially formulated and tested for stability under accelerated conditions.
RESULTS:

Parthenolide (1 x 10(-5) mol/L) non-competitively antagonised the effects of d-fenfluramine but had no significant effect on 5-HT2B and 5-HT2A receptors in rat fundus and ileum at 30 min which turned significant on increasing the incubation time to 1.5 h, in rat fundus. Parthenolide (5 x 10(-5) mol/L) followed the same trend. However, Feverfew extract (1 x 10(-5) mol/L) potently and directly blocked 5-HT2B and 5-HT2A receptors and neuronally released 5-HT. At 5 x 10(-5) mol/L the extract potently and irreversibly blocked the above. Both parthenolide and Feverfew extract showed a time-dependency in their action. The extract when degraded thermally upto 10% could significantly block the 5-HT receptors and neuronal release of 5-HT, however, on further degradation it lost its inhibitory capacity markedly. Similar results were observed in rats fed orally with undergraded and degraded Feverfew powder and injected i.p. with parthenolide. Feverfew powder was more effective than any of its extracts or pure parthenolide.
CONCLUSION:

Feverfew powder is more potent than any of its extract or parthenolide alone in its antiserotonergic activity. Degraded Feverfew extracts show a marked decrease in their antiserotonergic activity. With thermally degraded Feverfew powder containing less contents of parthenolide no built-up antiserotonergic responses were observed after one month. This ascertains that Feverfew should be dispensed in a properly stabilized form wherein its parthenolide content is not degraded to less than 90% of the original content.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Free full text

OP
Peata

Peata

Too late cause I'd already bought an extract. :roll:

natedawggh

Hi Peata,

I tried Feverfew last year. I didn't actively notice any benefits, I was new to Peating and didn't really understand how to see serotonin/tryptophan actions in my health yet... but I took it for about two weeks. One day I started developing my first and only ever migraine (I suppose that's what it was—so painful) and I realized I had not taken Feverfew for two days. In retrospect, I think that it must have very well lowered serotonin and the rebound when I stopped accidentally caused a massive headache that didn't go away for about 12 hours even after retaking some plus advil (or aspirin? whatever was in my shelf at the time).

Recently I have found to be more effective in returning noticeable health results is to make sure my glycine ratio is much, much higher than tryptophan, so if I have milk or cottage cheese I put gelatin in it and notice immediate effects of decongestion, better sleep, and even some minor weight loss (1-2 lbs/day).

OP
Peata

Peata

natedawggh said:
Peata said:
Too late cause I'd already bought an extract. :roll:

Hey Peata did you end up taking Feverfew? How was it?

No, it was another waste of money for me. It was a tincture and the taste was horrific. I think I went on to try Cyproheptadine after that. It worked well but my appetite had me gaining weight while I was on it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals