Hypothyroid 4 yr old?

J

j.

Make sure to read the labels of everything you buy and check for carrageenan (often found with chocolate, yogurt, chocolate milk). It's bad news and alternatives without it are usually available. Also, if you buy chocolate or ice cream, make sure it doesn't have vegetable fat among the ingredients. Many companies add these things.

J

j.

Using incandescent lights instead of so-called energy saving bulbs is good. The red wavelength helps cells generate energy. The incandescent has more red wavelengths than any other, while the energy saving bulb barely has any. When it is cold, you could use something like 700-1000 watts of incandescent lights to produce heat and warm the place at the same time you're doing a little light therapy. You could use as many watts as it's comfortable when it's hot.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Yes, we've tried egg yolk only and in about 30 seconds he's vomiting for the next hour and having difficulty breathing. We've tried on purpose and accidentally and so far, no go.

I've been really hoping for dairy! It's been on my mind a lot lately...Can't stop thinking that he might be able to tolerate it in small amounts. It's tough to make the decision to do it considering how much he's suffered in the past. I think we'll try soon or possibly yogurt as you suggested.

Your suggestions mean a lot!

OP
kofimama

kofimama

We've also gone back to all incandescent bulbs in the last year. I was uncomfortable with the mercury in the others but hadn't really thought about energy production and warmth in incandescents.

We recently stopped buying coconut milk in a can (Native Forest) because of the guar gum and we avoid carageenan, though in the past I may have let it slide a bit in order to provide some variety in his diet. No longer.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

Thanks, Charlie. I think all signs point to hypothyroid. I wonder if this is a generational thing. I just posted some lab results in the get-help section because I think I'm hypo, too and I know my mother was, along with many of the same symptoms: digestive dysfunction, allergies, insomnia, eczema, anxiety, etc. Hoping someone can shed light on my lab results so I can get a clearer picture of my own health as well. Much appreciated!

J

j.

About dairy, cheese and yogurt aren't the only variables. Goat's milk or dairy is something else to try.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

We've tried goat's milk in the past, too and IgE labs came back in the moderate range so we've stayed away to keep inflammation at bay. Will consider all the above.

J

j.

Avoid plastic bottled water, too! At least while the problems get fixed. It's estrogenic. Mountain Valley Spring Water comes in glass bottles and tastes great. I used to have somebody deliver the water once a month.

OP
kofimama

kofimama

We're on well water and zero plastic water bottles...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
kofimama said:
Thanks, Charlie. I think all signs point to hypothyroid. I wonder if this is a generational thing. I just posted some lab results in the get-help section because I think I'm hypo, too and I know my mother was, along with many of the same symptoms: digestive dysfunction, allergies, insomnia, eczema, anxiety, etc. Hoping someone can shed light on my lab results so I can get a clearer picture of my own health as well. Much appreciated!

I have been looking for a specific Ray Peat quote all morning for you. But I cannot find it. :( Hopefully someone else will remember where it is because its a really great quote that really hit the spot for me. Basically it went like this, and I am keeping it as simple as I can so I dont mess up the quote too much:

We do not pass on genetic diseases, we pass on metabolic rate. The offspring inherits the metabolic rate of the parent.

This really hit home to me because my mom was really sick when she had me, she was extremely hypothyroid. From the moment I was born I ended up being incredibly sick. So I started with her metabolism, and it was not good.

jyb

Maybe it's closely related, but I think we inherit other things too. Those studies on plastic's effect on fertility on several generations and epi-genetics (not genetics) don't explicitly mention metabolic rate.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb said:
Maybe it's closely related, but I think we inherit other things too. Those studies on plastic's effect on fertility on several generations and epi-genetics (not genetics) don't explicitly mention metabolic rate.

Thats why I wanted to be careful on trying to quote it. Because he might have made sure to say something about that. I will find that quote eventually and post it up again.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
I have been looking for a specific Ray Peat quote all morning for you. But I cannot find it. :( Hopefully someone else will remember where it is because its a really great quote that really hit the spot for me. Basically it went like this, and I am keeping it as simple as I can so I dont mess up the quote too much:

We do not pass on genetic diseases, we pass on metabolic rate. The offspring inherits the metabolic rate of the parent.

This really hit home to me because my mom was really sick when she had me, she was extremely hypothyroid. From the moment I was born I ended up being incredibly sick. So I started with her metabolism, and it was not good.

I found these quotes.

Ray Peat said:
We are "imprinted" by our mothers' hormonal and nutritional conditions, but we can intervene to correct these "inherited" conditions, by maintaining optimal hormonal and nutritional balances.

Ray Peat said:
When the mother's hormones are imbalanced during pregnancy or nursing, the baby is "imprinted" with an altered sensitivity to hormones.

Estrogen, memory and heredity: Imprinting and the stress response

Fantastic article!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No, not those but they are good too!

J

j.

Charlie said:
I have been looking for a specific Ray Peat quote all morning for you. But I cannot find it. :( Hopefully someone else will remember where it is because its a really great quote that really hit the spot for me.

I think the words he used were that we inherit a physiological state or something like that.

HDD

Is this it, Charlie? This is the one you posted to me on another thread.

We pass on our metabolic rate to our children.

Ray Peat wrote:
"Although he was a geneticist and bred the mice that demonstrated the inheritance of cancer, he also showed that simple therapeutic measures would not only prevent cancer in a susceptible individual, but would also prevent cancer in many generations of the treated animal's descendants... Inheritance isn't indelibly fixed. A physiological state is passed on…"

Source

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Diane, thats it! And of course I totally messed up the whole quote. :lol:

Thank you for finding that, Diane. :hattip

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals