Nixtamalizing Grains

Wagner83

Nixtamalization - Wikipedia
"Nixtamalization
typically refers to a process for the preparation of maize (corn), or other grain, in which the corn is soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually limewater, washed, and then hulled. This process, originating in Mexico, is famously known to remove up to 97-100% of aflatoxins from mycotoxin contaminated corn. [1] The term can also refer to the removal via an alkali process of the pericarp from other grains such as sorghum."

"
The primary nutritional benefits of nixtamalization arise from the alkaline processing involved. These conditions convert corn's bound niacin to free niacin, making it available for absorption into the body, thus preventing pellagra.[citation needed] Alkalinity also reduces the amount of the protein zein available to the body, which improves the balance among essential amino acids, although the overall amount of protein is reduced.[citation needed]

Secondary benefits can arise from the grain's absorption of minerals from the alkali used or from the vessels used in preparation. These effects can increase calcium (by 750%, with 85% available for absorption), iron, copper, and zinc.[citation needed]

Lastly, nixtamalization significantly reduces (by 90–94%) mycotoxins produced by Fusarium verticillioides and Fusarium proliferatum, molds that commonly infect maize and the toxins of which are putative carcinogens.[citation needed]"

"
Everything You Ever Needed to Know About Nixtamalization But Didn’t Know to Ask
How Did Ancient People Learn to Nixtamalize Their Maize?

This is a question I get asked all the time.

Alkaline cooking is not unique to the Americas. Throughout history, there have been a number of other “independent” inventions of culinary techniques that utilize alkaline substrates. For example, within the Scandinavian culinary tradition, lutefisk, fermented stockfish or salted whitefish, is a centuries old traditional food made by soaking the fish for approximately two weeks in a solution made from water and lye (McGee 2004:231-232). In the Chinese culinary tradition, pidan, or the thousand-year-old-egg, is an egg, typically duck, that has been preserved by coating it in a clay/salt/alkaline mixture (McGee 2004:116). Olives have been and still are routinely cured using lye in order to reduce the amount of time it takes to fix the the extraordinarily bitter phenolic substance oleuropein found within the fruit. In Roman times, olives were traditionally fermented in wood ashes, which successfully cured olives in a matter of hours (McGee 2004:295). And in the present, lye is still routinely used to make pretzels, giving them their characteristic shiny brown finish."

I'm curious about improving the calcium/phosphate ratio of various starchy foods and wonder if nixtamalizing can be done for things like buckwheat, millet, wheat, pasta, even potatoes etc... Any thoughts?

Hugh Johnson

I tried this with potatoes and baking soda, since that is alkaline. They break apart.

But, yeah, I looked up some studies and alkaline treatment does do something to potato starch.

OP
W

Wagner83

I've been using a high-calcium, pretty-high-magnesium mineral water to cook the rice, maybe it's worth considering if you're not into distilled water. A wild thought occurred to me that if someone is into supplementing minerals/metals, perhaps, given some of Ray's comments on zinc supplementation (for instance), adding them to the cooking water of rice can be a safer way to have them in the diet.
With that in mind, given Ray's comments on most supplements, zinc supplements, and generally speaking how the body functions I'd bet he'd be against such supplementation, and most people would tell one to get nutrients from his/her diet. Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I'm curious about improving the calcium/phosphate ratio of various starchy foods and wonder if nixtamalizing can be done for things like buckwheat, millet, wheat, pasta, even potatoes etc... Any thoughts?

The answer is yes-

This post suggests it's something specifically about the calcium (which may explain why baking soda disintegrated potatoes). They used various different formulations-

I picked up some Tortillas made by a local Mexican Grocery Chain near where I live, and they do them the traditional way. I also got some Calcium Hydroxide (aka CAL, aka Slacked Lime), and am soaking some potatoes to to make fries tomorrow (done is HCO). It was very cheap at the store, you can also find it online.

Peat suggested this might also be good for wheat.

Apple

I picked up some Tortillas made by a local Mexican Grocery Chain near where I live, and they do them the traditional way. I also got some Calcium Hydroxide (aka CAL, aka Slacked Lime), and am soaking some potatoes to to make fries tomorrow (done is HCO). It was very cheap at the store, you can also find it online.

I once tried to boil corn in CAL with the following soaking. (aka nixtamal)
My concern was that after thorough washing several times and warming it up in clean water in aluminum pot its surfice turned black, ie there was a chemical reaction.
I was afraid it could be damaging for teeth so I discarded that batch...
I know aluminum pot is not good but I used it only for warming up already prepared and washed nixtamal on the following day.
Now I'm happy with wheat tortillas from local grocery...:) They somehow digest better than common bread

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Well, did the fries, and the result was good. The CAL really firmed up the potatoes, both before cooking, and after frying. I think slicing them really thin, like chips, would have been excellent. The thin pieces had the best crunch of any homemade fries I can remember. The insides weren't soft and fluffy, they were firm as well, but not overly hard. I can see where some people would absolutely love these, and some not like them so much. I would think most people would say they are good.

They kinda reminded me of these Belgain Fries I once had, but that was decades ago.....

If some place wanted to start "Nixtamalizing" Fries and then started deep frying them in HCO (or Tallow), I can imagine they would get quite a following.

Next up for me..... Trying to Nixtamalize apples.

OP
W

Wagner83

The answer is yes-

This post suggests it's something specifically about the calcium (which may explain why baking soda disintegrated potatoes). They used various different formulations-

Interesting experiment, I wonder how it is going to affect the digestion of the starch,and if mixing calcium and magnesium hydroxide could be worth a try.

tankasnowgod

Interesting experiment, I wonder how it is going to affect the digestion of the starch,and if mixing calcium and magnesium hydroxide could be worth a try.

Digestion the past day has been good. It's improved a lot over the last nine months or so, and I give a lot of credit to both a (mostly) no starch diet and regular cyproheptadine use. I say mostly, as I was usually eating a potato once a week (as fries cooked in HCO). Also, vacations, anything went.

kyle

Is their a particular concentration or alkalinity that is ideal for this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals