Personal Thyroid Status

Jsaute21

I would like several educated opinions on my current health state. @DaveFoster @haidut @Such_Saturation @sladerunner69 and any others.

Average temp during the day at rest is anywhere from 97.3-97.8. Average pulse rate is 57-65. Below are recent test results. Some notes of significance are that i work out often, have about 10% BF, sometimes suffer from a stress response from coffee, and sex drive has been up and down lately. My doctor thinks i am very healthy and crazy to have the interest i do in my health. I am fully aware i am not in a dire situation but i definitely seem to have relative hypo.

VALUE REFERENCE RANGE
F T3 Total 1.0 0.8-2.0 (ng/mL)
F Free T4 1.08 0.80-1.80 (ng/dL)
F TSH 2.42 0.30-5.00 (mcIU/mL)

F White Blood Cells 7.6 3.6-10.2 (k/cu mm)
F Red Blood Cells 4.8 4.4-6.0 (m/cu mm)
F Hemoglobin 14.2 13.2-18.0 (gm/dL)
F Hematocrit 43.8 41.0-55.0 (percent)
F MCV 91 82-99 (fL)
F MCH 30 27-33 (pg)
F MCHC 32 31-34 (percent)
F Platelets 244 150-450 (k/cu mm)
F RDW-CV 14 11-15 (percent)

F Glucose 84 70-99 (mg/dL)
F Urea Nitrogen 25 H 6-20 (mg/dL)
F Creatinine 1.0 0.5-1.2 (mg/dL)
F GFR(African American) 114 60-300 (mL/min/1.73 m2)
F GFR(Others) 95 60-300 (mL/min/1.73 m2)
F Sodium 141 136-145 (mEq/L)
F Potassium 4.7 3.5-5.1 (mEq/L)
F Chloride 101 98-107 (mEq/L)
F CO2 28 23-31 (mEq/L)
F Anion Gap 17 8-20 (mEq/L)
F Calcium 9.8 8.4-10.5 (mg/dL)
F Total Protein 6.8 6.0-8.3 (gm/dL)
F Albumin 4.8 3.5-4.8 (gm/dL)
F AST (SGOT) 36 14-54 (IU/L)
F ALT (SGPT) 31 11-51 (IU/L)
F Alkaline Phos 55 40-129 (IU/L)
F Total Bilirubin 0.2 0.0-1.0 (mg/dL)
F Globulin 2.0 1.7-3.5 (gm/dL)
- Globulin reported is a calculated value.
F A/G Ratio 2.4 1.4-2.6
F BUN/Creat Ratio 25 H 10-20

DaveFoster

You're hypothyroid judging from your temp and pulse. A thyroid supplement may be appropriate in your case. It'll probably make you put on weight.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Thyroid supplement would make me put on weight? Don't want that..I'm 6'1" 197. Cholesterol and glucose look healthy tho..any other thoughts?

sladerunner69

First I would like to just say I am honored to have my knowledge requested. I am endearingly at your service.

I concur with @DaveFoster that you are hypothyroid judging from your lowish temps and substantially low pulse. 50's-60's is too low and going to affect your quality of life, make you feel sluggish and tired etc, and leave you susceptible to disease and degenerative conditions. I would strongly suggest you begin working on your metabolism, trying to get your pulse into the 80's or 90's, and your morning temps up to 98 or preferably 99.

Could you elaborate on your workout regimen? I believe that low pulse in the 50's is generally a result of adaptive thyroid suppression that is a result of intense endurance training like distance running, cycling, swimming laps etc. Exercise should either be very brief and intense, as in HIT training or weightlifting, or it should be long, slow and light like golfing or hiking. Stop running miles if you are and be sure to always be burning carbohydrate, preferably in the form of sugars, as fuel.

Diet is clearly the most popular aspect of Peat's work on metabolism, so try following the classic Peat standards of fresh OJ, low fat milk, pastured eggs, coffee, cokes, cheese etc. The diet alone will likely get your pulse up to 80 in a couple months. One shredded carrot w/coconut oil plus white vinegar each day will greatly benefit your gut and help lower stress hormones. A stress reesponse to coffee isnt uncommon but is a sign that your metabolism is low and that you are not burning glucose efficiently as fuel, or that your liver isn't functioning fully. Try to ease into the coffee starting with a small cup once or twice a day for a week and that add another small cup each week. 5, 6oz cups of strong coffee is what I strive for each day and some people on here will drink even more to achieve results. All of my intense research on the coffee matter has me suspect that a large portion of the problems reproted with coffee are due to GABA suppression which can be bad for folks who are deficient in gaba for whatever reason. Therefore, it can be optimal to take a tablespoon of gelatin or 200mg of theanine whenever coffee is had, to balance out GABA. And of course be sure to be full of sugar and protein to support the caffiene.

DaveFoster

Thyroid supplement would make me put on weight? Don't want that..I'm 6'1" 197. Cholesterol and glucose look healthy tho..any other thoughts?
Like slade said, your exercise could be pushing your pulse too low and will shorten you lifespan if you keep it up; marathon runners live short lives.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Really helpful stuff @sladerunner69. I strength train and do some HIIT work. Bench 305x5, deadlift 400x5 and am very well versed in the downfalls of endurance training on androgens. I never have been an endurance guy. Used to play lacrosse which is somewhat of an endurance sport but more like soccer in nature. Explosive burst movements.

sladerunner69

Really helpful stuff @sladerunner69. I strength train and do some HIIT work. Bench 305x5, deadlift 400x5 and am very well versed in the downfalls of endurance training on androgens. I never have been an endurance guy. Used to play lacrosse which is somewhat of an endurance sport but more like soccer in nature. Explosive burst movements.

Whoa those are some great numbers bro! I take my lifting seriously also, but Im not quit where you are at on bench (275x3) I can deadlift 405 six time though. HA!! and full squat 315 8 times.

That's good news that you aren't suffering from endurance training. Once people realize they are tanking and seriously damaging their metabolisms through running/cycling, climbing out of that can take considerable time and effort. That's probably why your temps aren't too too low.

So I would focus on eating plenty of fruit and orange juice throughout the day and adding in the other Peat foods.

You could supplement thyroid to get your pulse up, but understand it should really be taken in tiny doses very frequently,which can be kind of annoying honestly. Also it causes thyroid suppression, although it is easily reversed once you hop off it. So those are the reasons I opt out of thyroid supps, and use fat solubles, methelyne blue, taurine, aspirin, niacinmide to get my metabolism really fired up and hot. Then to really top it off, I could go for a few drops of andro which has great masculine effects but it makes you constantly hungry for more sugar, almost to the point where I get sick of eating so much. And after it wears off you get kind of tired and bored and have to take a nap.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Awesome, man. Beast deadlift. I am just getting into it. I have eliminated squats even though they are pheonemnal for hormonal health and mobility, just cause i hate em. (Former athlete and have done more squats in my life than i can possibly explain).

I have been applying a lot of your advice the past couple of months. I really appreciate your honesty regarding thyroid meds, because i have heard some negative tales from others regarding it. I am taking energin, tocovit, K2, Aspirin and Taurine and just started MB. How much sugar do you typically eat?

OP
J

Jsaute21

I should also mention that since i started my ray peat journey my digestion has improved tremendously. I would go # 2 every 2 days on average, now go 1-3 times every day. Certainly a testament to the preachings from RP.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals