Progesterone And Sickle Cell

faramir

One of my nieces, in her 20's has sickle cell anemia and during a recent visit she described a very frightening event( being verbally abused by a man in a pharmacy, though she is very small and uses a cane) and the subsequent terrible crisis she had afterward requiring hospitalization:

A sickle cell crisis is a painful episode that occurs in people who have sickle cell anemia. It happens when sickle-shaped red blood cells (RBCs) block blood vessels. Blood and oxygen cannot get to your tissues, causing pain.

fm drugs.com

This made me wonder about a hormonal connection, specifically estrogen excess and I wondered if progesterone would help. I finally found this study:

http://apps.who.int/rhl/fertility/contraception/Contraception series Legardy_sickle_06.pdf

It concerns the use of progesterone only birth control and almost incidentally mentions an actual improvement of symptoms.
I was wondering if anyone had any information on additional nutrients that might help, such as methylene blue, to increase oxygen in cells. She is on very strong pain meds most of the time. She also mentioned an issue with severe dehydration which I need to research further.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals