Randle Cycle and MCT Oil?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
When talking about the Randle cycle and the issue of too much fat in the diet impairing the proper oxidation of glucose, does MCT oil “count” as a fat that impairs the proper oxidation of glucose?

Thanks.
Paul

Personally it doesn't help, I feel better with extra virgin olive oil.

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
When talking about the Randle cycle and the issue of too much fat in the diet impairing the proper oxidation of glucose, does MCT oil “count” as a fat that impairs the proper oxidation of glucose?

Thanks.
Paul
I always wanted to know that.
Personally it doesn't help, I feel better with extra virgin olive oil.
For me it helps a lot. I can feel a significant boost in how I feel and my cognition.
I cant take more then 5g of it at one time, it causes serious cramping and diarrhea.
5 grams every 15 minutes works good for me.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thanks.
Paul
No, MCTs doesn't compete with glucose for oxidation. They work synergistically.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
No, MCTs doesn't compete with glucose for oxidation. They work synergistically.
Thanks.
So, is oxidation of MCTs different from oxidation of glucose, and also different from oxidation of animal fat?

Alpha

Thanks.
So, is oxidation of MCTs different from oxidation of glucose, and also different from oxidation of animal fat?

Different pathways but same end result. The biochemical difference is important, primarily SCFA and MCFA don't need fatty acid bind proteins or lipoproteins for transport and storage in the body, and the second important distinction is they are carnitine independent for oxidation. In short, they are more readily available, absorbed, used for energy as opposed to stored, improves insulin resistance, and stimulates AMPK to make the mitochondria more efficient and increasing their turnover.

OP
A

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Different pathways but same end result. The biochemical difference is important, primarily SCFA and MCFA don't need fatty acid bind proteins or lipoproteins for transport and storage in the body, and the second important distinction is they are carnitine independent for oxidation. In short, they are more readily available, absorbed, used for energy as opposed to stored, improves insulin resistance, and stimulates AMPK to make the mitochondria more efficient and increasing their turnover.
That is helpful.
I am trying to do everything I can to lighten the load on my (damaged, per a genova test) mitochondria.
They do not burn glucose well, which is causing serious issues.
Would MCT oil still be considered a "fat", when one is working out a diet of 30% fat, 50% carbs, and 20% protein, per peat/dinkov/mercola?

Hans

Forum Supporter
That is helpful.
I am trying to do everything I can to lighten the load on my (damaged, per a genova test) mitochondria.
They do not burn glucose well, which is causing serious issues.
Would MCT oil still be considered a "fat", when one is working out a diet of 30% fat, 50% carbs, and 20% protein, per peat/dinkov/mercola?
MCT is coming considered a fat since it under goes beta oxidation. Inability to oxidize fat or glucose is due to vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

Roni123@

MCT is coming considered a fat since it under goes beta oxidation. Inability to oxidize fat or glucose is due to vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
I found this interesting, is the inability to oxidize glucose or fat due to a lack of nutrients? wow, some more specific ones or all of them?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I found this interesting, is the inability to oxidize glucose or fat due to a lack of nutrients? wow, some more specific ones or all of them?
Yes mainly nutrient deficiencies. Can also be due to inflammation and gut issues. I'd say just start with all the micros. Cover your basics.

Roni123@

Yes mainly nutrient deficiencies. Can also be due to inflammation and gut issues. I'd say just start with all the micros. Cover your basics.
lots of potatoes and meat, some eggs is good for the micros? This is interesting, I thought the inability to oxidize glucose was due to excess fat or lack of carbohydrates

Hans

Forum Supporter
lots of potatoes and meat, some eggs is good for the micros? This is interesting, I thought the inability to oxidize glucose was due to excess fat or lack of carbohydrates
No, lack of micros. Fat oxidation can also be a problem due to nutrient deficiencies.
Add liver to your diet as well. Meat isn't that nutrient dense.

Roni123@

No, lack of micros. Fat oxidation can also be a problem due to nutrient deficiencies.
Add liver to your diet as well. Meat isn't that nutrient dense.
I'm trying to reverse my lactose intolerance to consume more milk, I'm going to add some liver a week and some heart too, does it take time to notice the difference?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm trying to reverse my lactose intolerance to consume more milk, I'm going to add some liver a week and some heart too, does it take time to notice the difference?
2-4oz liver per day to fix a deficiency. Heart not as good.

Thanks.
Paul
Ray Peat has said that ingesting MCT oil can create allergies, so I gave it up.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals