Shouldnt eating cereal with milk mostly nullify iron absorption?

blue_lotus

if so, then why is there a fuss over breakfast cereals on this board? im assuming that the actual iron absorption from eating breakfast cereal with milk is minimal but people are just trying to be better safe than sorry right?

im just asking because my guilty pleasure is honey bunches of oats with almonds. I would like to think at least that I can indulge myself without worrying about excess iron uptake :)

milk_lover

The problem with eating large amounts of oats is that it reduces the Ca/P ratio. So you have to eat plenty of milk and cheese and take vitamin D to compensate. Also, oats are starch and usually starch feeds bacteria.

Happycat

if so, then why is there a fuss over breakfast cereals on this board? im assuming that the actual iron absorption from eating breakfast cereal with milk is minimal but people are just trying to be better safe than sorry right?

im just asking because my guilty pleasure is honey bunches of oats with almonds. I would like to think at least that I can indulge myself without worrying about excess iron uptake :)
I was wondering the same.
Plus, if you also have a coffee with the cereal, it should help even more, right?

Summer

I recommend finding a cereal that isn’t fortified. There are so many better options today.

alephx

Loved that cereal and will still eat it once in a blue moon.

one of the big problems is if you drink homogeneized milk, the lactoferrin that would bind the iron is not there. If drinking cow go non-homogenized or raw, not sure about goat and lactoferrin, but goat milk is never homogeneized from what I understand,

Summer

I only eat non fortified, there is a shop here in Uk (Lidl) that sells unfortified cereal.
I don’t think iron absorption is too much of a problem then.

The only issue I have with milk and cereal is that they don’t mix well together, for me at least. From an Ayurvedic point of view, milk is best consumed by itself. I find this to be true.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom