Strange reaction to Theanine

June

I found I reacted strangely to Theanine. Both positive and negative. I originally wanted to use it to try and help lower my prolactin via raising dopamine and perhaps rid some background anxiety. I started off at 100mg and didn’t experience much, so I upped it to 200mg. At that dose, I found myself unable to sleep. Not only that but I experienced a deep dark night of the soul type depression. I tried to cry to release some of the sadness but no tears would appear!! That night was unbearable. Only positive aspect was it did dampen some of the background anxiety and some brain fog. Did it raise my dopamine too much? Would that effectively lower my prolactin? I want to try again at 50mg but afraid to.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I can't say L theanine has consistently help me sleep better. It likely has a similar effect on me.

GTW

I have taken 100 or 200 mg an hour before coffee in the morning to avoid caffeine jitters, because I like coffee but overly sensitive to caffeine.

OP
J

June

It baffles me that it has such polarizing effects. But seeing that it works on dopamine, which can be excitatory, and GABA which can be sedating, it makes sense. Since higher doses make me agitated, would this mean a lower dose can be calming?

Mossy

Taurine, in low doses, is initially excitatory for me and then eventually sedating; large doses are sedating from the start. At least that had been my experience when taking it years back So, that would be just the opposite of your experience with theanine, based on small and large doses.

I could guess that you're on the right track, in attempting to test the various doses to see which is the best dose for you.

Lastly, I can share that when I've taken theanine, it initially works very well, then the effectiveness drops considerably, with regard to helping with sleep.

OP
J

June

Taurine, in low doses, is initially excitatory for me and then eventually sedating; large doses are sedating from the start. At least that had been my experience when taking it years back So, that would be just the opposite of your experience with theanine, based on small and large doses.

I could guess that you're on the right track, in attempting to test the various doses to see which is the best dose for you.

Lastly, I can share that when I've taken theanine, it initially works very well, then the effectiveness drops considerably, with regard to helping with sleep.
Still haven't tried the lower dose just yet. A bit apprehensive about losing sleep and that depression was soul shattering. I wasn't even using it to help sleep. Wanted to lower prolactin using it's dopamine raising function and possibly some relaxation from the background stress I feel. It just so happened to affect my sleep even though I took it during the afternoon. At least I can say it has an effect rather than no effect. Just wish it was the positive effects.

Mossy

Still haven't tried the lower dose just yet. A bit apprehensive about losing sleep and that depression was soul shattering. I wasn't even using it to help sleep. Wanted to lower prolactin using it's dopamine raising function and possibly some relaxation from the background stress I feel. It just so happened to affect my sleep even though I took it during the afternoon. At least I can say it has an effect rather than no effect. Just wish it was the positive effects.
I know exactly how you feel. I am very apprehensive when it comes to taking any supplements. I've lost count of my adverse effects; and the mind altering ones are the worst—like you mention. Funny that you're having this effect with a pro-dopamine supplement; one of my worst negative, mind-altering effects was from a pro-dopamine supplement of mucuna pruriens.

The medicine or poison is in the dose, as the saying goes. Now it's just a matter of being willing to deal with the crazy side effects as you figure out your proper dose, or maybe go for another pro-dopamine supplement. Here is a quote from the end of a long post by Haidut, noting pro-dopamine substances:

"Natural dopaminergic substances include caffeine, magnesium (and most other NMDA "receptor" antagonists), zinc, selenium, vitamin A, etc."

This thread may be helpful as well: Husband's prolactin elevated

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals