Sugar cane has antioxidant and antibacterial effects over white sugar

"Health beneficial effects of sugarcane have been attributed to antioxidant components present in the plant material, phenolic compounds having been identified mainly in the raw juice, culms and leaves."

"Phenolic constituents of six commercially available sugarcane derivatives (granulated jaggery, muscovado sugar, light and regular jaggery blocks, cane honey and brown sugar) were identified and quantified, in addition to their physicochemical, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties against cariogenic bacteria. Physicochemical and antioxidant properties of raw sugars were highly related to degree of refining of each product. Specific hydroxycinnamic acids (chlorogenic, caffeic, coumaric, ferulic) and flavones (apigenin, tricin, luteolin) were identified and quantified in sugarcane products. Tricin and apigenin were the most abundant phenolics in raw sugars, both considered important bioactive constituents of foods which postulate as nutraceuticals, antiproliferative and chemopreventive agents. Some derivatives and their extracts also exhibited antibacterial properties against Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus."

"Bioactive compounds identified in raw sugars make sugarcane natural sweeteners a healthier alternative to white sugar, to be used at home and industry. Granulated jaggeries postulate as the best substitutive due to their nutritional benefits and physicochemical attributes."

There is also another sugar that I came across, which is muscovado sugar, and it has traces of mollasses. Some sites claim that they have minerals and nutrients, but I wasn't able to find clear evidence.
Also, people who claim that sugar creates cavities, they should switch to sugar cane and give it a try for his protective effects against cariogenic bacteria..

Interesting. I’m just visiting Costa Rica at the moment and I’ve been munching on raw sugar cane and spitting out the fiber. Haven’t noticed the raw effect on my mount and tongue like I would with straight white sugar if I have too much. Although chewing on it it’s hard to tell how much I’m ingesting really.

amd

Sugar cane juice that you press yourself is not a problem, is the processed sugar crystals of any color that cause inflammation.

OP
Androsclerosis
Sugar cane juice that you press yourself is not a problem, is the processed sugar crystals of any color that cause inflammation.

That's interesting. I hope there are different mechanisms of processing in some countries. For example, in my country they still use in some places old machines that process beer, mostly because they didn't want to invest money and they kept the old habits which made it healthier.
Nowadays you don't know what to eat to be fine.
I mean honey mostly is fake, fruits are not ripe, juices have citric acid, what else?

amd

Just because you call something orange juice doesn't necessarily mean juice you pressed yourself, and it is not natural when enzymes and other chemicals are used.

Cheap imported products can prevent local products from reaching an accessible price, like fresh-squeezed orange juice at the supermarket.

Discerning consumers brought down organic food prices, but now they need to support those companies that are doing the right things to protect the organic standards and go beyond.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter

@amd
So, even cane sugar like this is considered processed?

ATCP

If you want the truly unrefined stuff panela / rapaduara / sucanat are all names for the same thing.

The sugar cane is juiced, then boiled in pots to remove the liquid. It's then poured into molds to set, and once it's hardened they crush it into powder.

My favorite brand that I've tried so far is called "just panela" - in 100g you hit / exceed your RDAs for magnesium, manganese and zinc and it also has a significant quantity of iron and calcium. It's also the most delicious sugar I've ever had.

I have been using panela for 5+ years in large quantities (100g +) and feel great. It's delicious in coffee, or as a stand alone drink (Agua panela) like the Colombians drinks. I've also used it to make home made ice cream and it's great on oatmeal or in baking too. It has a caramel flavor.
1000048086.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom