T2 thyroid now on the market

Mauritio

T2 as weight loss supplement is not new and I think this will answer most of your questions: 3,5-Diiodo-L-Thyronine (T2) in Dietary Supplements: What Are the Physiological Effects?
Good summary:
" The higher dose of T2 used was 80 times that of T3. Thus, it allows for its estimated lower affinity for the TH receptors, assuming that the affinity of T3 for the receptors is indeed 100 times that of T2 (8). This high dose of T2 essentially mimicked all the physiological effects obtained with the T3 dose. These effects included suppression of the HPT axis, decreases in fat mass, serum leptin and cholesterol, and increases in lean mass, food intake, and hepatic expression of TH-dependent genes relevant to lipid metabolism (see summary of results in Table 1). After 4 weeks, this high dose of T2 also caused cardiac hypertrophy and resulted in elevated metabolic rate and body temperature. These results demonstrate that at a dose that corrects for its decreased affinity for the TH receptor, T2 is capable of producing the same biological effects as T3."

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
On
Good summary:
" The higher dose of T2 used was 80 times that of T3. Thus, it allows for its estimated lower affinity for the TH receptors, assuming that the affinity of T3 for the receptors is indeed 100 times that of T2 (8). This high dose of T2 essentially mimicked all the physiological effects obtained with the T3 dose. These effects included suppression of the HPT axis, decreases in fat mass, serum leptin and cholesterol, and increases in lean mass, food intake, and hepatic expression of TH-dependent genes relevant to lipid metabolism (see summary of results in Table 1). After 4 weeks, this high dose of T2 also caused cardiac hypertrophy and resulted in elevated metabolic rate and body temperature. These results demonstrate that at a dose that corrects for its decreased affinity for the TH receptor, T2 is capable of producing the same biological effects as T3."
On the website they say this though:
When used at the correct dose, Essential T2 should not have an impact on thyroid lab tests.

This is based on studies that show that using doses of up to 300mcg per day does not significantly impact TSH, free T3, and free T4 levels.

Whenever you are trying to improve your thyroid function, though, whether that be through natural therapies or with the use of thyroid medications, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on your thyroid lab tests.

frannybananny

Good summary:
Cardiac Hypertrophy? This cannot be a good thing?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Cardiac Hypertrophy? This cannot be a good thing?
My thoughts too. It is believed that at the proper dose this is not a concern, but they dose that might induce this hypertrophy is too close IMHO. I need more data and more evidence before I can recommend T2. Promising, yes! Let's see more!

bookshelf

How long has thyroid been studied and no one ever talked about T2 before? All this makes me wonder if this isn't just a new, shiny penny.

AspiringSage

I’ve found T2 to accelerate fat loss when added to normal replacement dose of T4/T3. T2 doses of 100mcg/day to 200mcg/day raised my body temp slightly and seemed to accelerate fat loss without introducing as many harsh side effects as T3 can.

I’ve also ramped up my T3 dose and dropped fat. I have to be careful as too much T3 can edge me into excessive catabolism/excessive heart rate/high blood pressure/disturbed sleep. All side effects that can be controlled with aspirin/nebivolol/telmisartan; but, better to keep the dose lower and avoid side effects when possible.

I haven’t tried T2 mono therapy and I wouldn’t expect it to be particularly effective (in my case). I am simply much more functional, happy and on positive health trajectory when on replacement doses of thyroid meds e.g. T4/T3 or NDT.

Last edited:

AspiringSage

How long has thyroid been studied and no one ever talked about T2 before? All this makes me wonder if this isn't just a new, shiny penny.
To an extant this the newest shiny thing and it’s becoming more available so there is some hype. That’s far from the full story of course. T2 promises increased metabolic rate, weight loss and possibly browning of white fat cells with relatively low side effects. So, the interest seems warranted.

It’s been noted in few studies that some people consistently lose slightly more weight/subjectively feel better on NDT than on doses of T4/T3 that should be equivalent. My suspicion this that NDT contains iodine, T2 and a few other thyroid metabolites. So, in a sense people have been supplementing T2 for a long time. At least as far back as the 1890’s when standardized thyroid extracts first became widely available in the west. My impression is that research on T2 as an isolated substance goes back a while. I haven’t turned up a date of discovery for T2 or the story of its identification. This paper provided some support for that assertion that it was at least 30 years ago.

3,5-T2—A Janus-Faced Thyroid Hormone Metabolite Exerts Both Canonical T3-Mimetic Endocrine and Intracrine Hepatic Action

Searching for 3,5-Diiodo-L-Thyronine turns up lots of papers. Though the literature is shallower than for T4/T3 of course.

I do think there is a tendency of many health conscious people in the west to be intrinsically comfortable with something that is labeled a supplement while being uncomfortable with something labeled a drug. Given the randomness of substance/therapy capture by either drug or supplement companies this isn’t the best basis for selecting interventions. Conversely given the toxicity of many pharmaceutical drugs, caution can be warranted.

In my opinion many people looking to start with T2 for weight loss might be better served by starting with a thyroid function panel (TSH, T4, T3 and rT3) logging waking body temperature/resting heart rate for a month or so before titrating T4/T3/NDT to achieve metabolic goals. But given the low to moderate side effect profile of T2 and it’s availability we are going to be seeing a lot of people start their thyroid treatment with T2.

bookshelf

Thank you, @AspiringSage. This may be a dumb question but is T2 available in an Rx combination (e.g., T4/T3/T2) or can it only be supplemented?

AspiringSage

Thank you, @AspiringSage. This may be a dumb question but is T2 available in an Rx combination (e.g., T4/T3/T2) or can it only be supplemented?
T4/T3 combinations are available as a standard off the shelf prescription product (more common outside the US). And combinations of T4/T3 are available from compounding pharmacies in the US. As is an extended release T3 form some compounding pharmacies (that’s sort of unusual otherwise).

With respect to combinations of T4/T3/T2 I’ve never seen a script for the combination. Mainstream docs are going out on a limb prescribing something that’s not an approved drug or a widely used supplement. I am sure there are some functional medicine providers who are ahead of the curve. But generally T2 is going to be supplement territory in the US and I am not familiar with any widespread use in the rest of the world.

bookshelf

T4/T3 combinations are available as a standard off the shelf prescription product (more common outside the US). And combinations of T4/T3 are available from compounding pharmacies in the US. As is an extended release T3 form some compounding pharmacies (that’s sort of unusual otherwise).

With respect to combinations of T4/T3/T2 I’ve never seen a script for the combination. Mainstream docs are going out on a limb prescribing something that’s not an approved drug or a widely used supplement. I am sure there are some functional medicine providers who are ahead of the curve. But generally T2 is going to be supplement territory in the US and I am not familiar with any widespread use in the rest of the world.
It bugs me that this is not a standard off the shelf prescription in the US and that doctors are so poorly educated about the depth, breadth, and importance of a functioning thyroid. But I know this is no accident.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals