The pro-metabolic effects of apple polyphenols

Mauritio

These last weeks I had a rather positive experience with apple polyphenols, mostly in terms of hair health (Procyanidin B-2 Extracted from Apples Grows Hair in Clinical Trials of Male Pattern Baldness), but also general metabolic health.

Unfortunately, you cannot get the same polyphenols from Citrus fruits that you can get from apples. For example procyanidins (the major apple polyphenol) are only obtainable from apple and cocoa in high amounts (Showing all foods in which the polyphenol Procyanidin dimer B2 is found - Phenol-Explorer).

They really have a wide range of pro-metabolic effects: Increase in UCP1, Akkermansia, Th and dopamine, anti-viral, anti-bacterial,lowering TLR4,NLRP3, etc...

1. Increase UCP1 and Akkermansia
- Apple Polyphenols Extracts Ameliorate High Carbohydrate Diet-Induced Body Weight Gain by Regulating the Gut Microbiota and Appetite - PubMed

2. Reduces hepatic steatosis and increases Akkermansia
- https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jafc.3c00596

3. Increases short chain fatty acids and tight junction proteins in the gut and decreases TLR4 and NF-kB expression
- Apple peel polyphenol alleviates antibiotic-induced intestinal dysbiosis by modulating tight junction proteins, the TLR4/NF-κB pathway and intestinal flora - PubMed

4. Lowers neuroinflammation, TLR4 and NLRP3 ( which is also implicated in hair loss)
- Apple Polyphenol Extract Ameliorates Atherosclerosis and Associated Cognitive Impairment through Alleviating Neuroinflammation by Weakening TLR4 Signaling and NLRP3 Inflammasome in High-Fat/Cholesterol Diet-Fed LDLR-/- Male Mice - PubMed

5. Increase tyrosine hydroxilase and thus dopamine synthesis and UCP1, reduce fat acumulation
- Apple polyphenols induce browning of white adipose tissue - PubMed

6, Increases oxygen consumption, heat production and AMPK
- Dietary apple polyphenols promote fat browning in high-fat diet-induced obese mice through activation of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase α - PubMed

7. Increase hepatic FXR level,and reduce hepatic steatosis
- Apple Polyphenol Extract Improves High-Fat Diet-Induced Hepatic Steatosis by Regulating Bile Acid Synthesis and Gut Microbiota in C57BL/6 Male Mice - PubMed

8. Increase the enzyme CYP7A1 ,which coverts cholesterol into bile acids and is the rate limiting enzyme in this reaction.
- Dose-dependent hypocholesterolemic actions of dietary apple polyphenol in rats fed cholesterol - PubMed
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6893479/

9. Anti-bacterial effect ,in this case, against C. difficile, plus a strong anti-inflammatory effect.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9694464/

10. Increases autophagy, cytochrome c and several mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes
"...mitophagy-related protein levels were significantly increased. The enzymatic activities of mitochondrial respiratory chain complexes II, III and IV were significantly higher in the AP intake group..."
- Dietary apple polyphenols enhance mitochondrial turnover and respiratory chain enzymes - PubMed

ivy

Can you specify what those effects were? It's a pricey supplement, I'd like to know what to expect. Thanks

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Last edited:

Charger

@Mauritio Can you link which supplement you bought?

Apple juice and dark chocolate are already part of my diet, maybe this is part of the reason I prefer apple juice to orange juice.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio Can you link which supplement you bought?

Apple juice and dark chocolate are already part of my diet, maybe this is part of the reason I prefer apple juice to orange juice.
I bought this one (Swanson, Apfelpolyphenole, 125 mg, 60 Kapseln)

I also really like apple juice and where I live it is way easier to find decent apple juice than OJ.
The product is a little underdosed and unfortunetly contains silica. With that beeing said, I get benefits from it, that I simply dont get from eating an apple or even two or drinking a liter of apple juice. Not sure why, maybe they use a different apple kind for their product than I consume, as polyphenol content and kind can vary quite a lot depending on the variety.

PhilParma

I probably won't try the oral supplement since it's something I know nothing about.

I would try eating daily apples, but none of the grocery stores that I frequent have organic apples for sale, which I would assume is an essential attribute for long term consumption of apples.

Personally, I put little to no stock into 'I'm losing less hair over the past few days/weeks' anecdotes. Merely stopping hairloss doesn't really move the needle for me unless it's demonstrated over the span of a year or longer. If you actually regrow some hair, I'm sure you'll let us know :)

Charger

I bought this one (Swanson, Apfelpolyphenole, 125 mg, 60 Kapseln)

I also really like apple juice and where I live it is way easier to find decent apple juice than OJ.
The product is a little underdosed and unfortunetly contains silica. With that beeing said, I get benefits from it, that I simply dont get from eating an apple or even two or drinking a liter of apple juice. Not sure why, maybe they use a different apple kind for their product than I consume, as polyphenol content and kind can vary quite a lot depending on the variety.

Nice.

I ordered some CocoaVia Memory+ this morning to get the benefits of dark chocolate while minimizing Cadmium intake. It should contain the same polyphenols, but obviously price is ridiculous so I'll probably check out your supplement after mine runs out.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Nice.

I ordered some CocoaVia Memory+ this morning to get the benefits of dark chocolate while minimizing Cadmium intake. It should contain the same polyphenols, but obviously price is ridiculous so I'll probably check out your supplement after mine runs out.
Did you test high in cadmium? If you want to lower heavy metal exposure from chocolate consumption you might want to favor chocolate from africa instead of south america since they contain less heavy metals.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I probably won't try the oral supplement since it's something I know nothing about.

I would try eating daily apples, but none of the grocery stores that I frequent have organic apples for sale, which I would assume is an essential attribute for long term consumption of apples.

Personally, I put little to no stock into 'I'm losing less hair over the past few days/weeks' anecdotes. Merely stopping hairloss doesn't really move the needle for me unless it's demonstrated over the span of a year or longer. If you actually regrow some hair, I'm sure you'll let us know :)
For me it's the opposite. Im constantly regrowing hair mostly through scalp exercises, but my "old" hair is still falling out so Im trying to stop that.

If you want to see regrowth with apple polyphenols, I found this study (Procyanidin B-2 Extracted from Apples Grows Hair in Clinical Trials of Male Pattern Baldness) very convincing. They used oral Procyanidin B2 and experienced more regrowth than people on finasteride on average.

ivy

I found a seemingly more potent product. This is why I said it wasn't cheap, it ranges from 25 to 31 Euros per 50 capsules. The ingredients are listed in Spanish...

Charger

Did you test high in cadmium? If you want to lower heavy metal exposure from chocolate consumption you might want to favor chocolate from africa instead of south america since they contain less heavy metals.

Nah, I haven't tested high for cadmium, just being neurotic since I read that its bad for dopamine and I've been eating Taza dark chocolate lately which has a bad score for cadmium. I also want to narrow down what effects I'm getting are from flavanols vs the saturated fat/stearic acid in the chocolate.

Apparently Montezuma'S is low in heavy metals, but obviously pricy.

For me it's the opposite. Im constantly regrowing hair mostly through scalp exercises, but my "old" hair is still falling out so Im trying to stop that.

If you want to see regrowth with apple polyphenols, I found this study (Procyanidin B-2 Extracted from Apples Grows Hair in Clinical Trials of Male Pattern Baldness) very convincing. They used oral Procyanidin B2 and experienced more regrowth than people on finasteride on average.

Hopefully the mechanism doesn't ultimately end up being anti-androgenic. I will say the feeling I get from regularly drinking apple juice does feel similar to the anti-stress effects of progesterone. Could be partly due to the Vitamin C that's typically added.

LucH

Hi,
I won't take high amount of polyphenols (500 mg) during several weeks without interruption, on long term. Only in cure because of the impact on cyp450 pathway (detox of toxins).
Too much of a good thing is bad. ;)
By the way, in apples, the main polyphenol is quercetin : interesting for calming mast cells when there is histamine in excess.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Nah, I haven't tested high for cadmium, just being neurotic since I read that its bad for dopamine and I've been eating Taza dark chocolate lately which has a bad score for cadmium. I also want to narrow down what effects I'm getting are from flavanols vs the saturated fat in the chocolate.

Apparently Montezuma'S is low in heavy metals, but obviously pricy.
I get it, I went down that rabbit whole once too. I just settled for going for african chocolate, not saying that is sufficient.
That is really pricey, especially at my current chocolate consumption of 2-3 bars per week, but good to know it exists.

PhilParma

That's impressive. If I could get my hands on a high grade product then I would try it. That Swansons product just makes me nervous; the active ingredient is simply "Apple Polyphenols."

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

That's impressive. If I could get my hands on a high grade product then I would try it. That Swansons product just makes me nervous; the active ingredient is simply "Apple Polyphenols."
Yeah its not a perfect product, but there arent many on the market and it works for me. I just ordered 3 more bottles so, I plan on taking it for a while.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

After 1 month on apple polyphenols I notice:

- less hair loss
- less water retention in face and body
- muscles look fuller (pro-liver effect)

All in all the effect is not super strong, but noticable so I will continue.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

1709461571553.png

- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10779665/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals