thyroid

scarlettsmum

I have a question about using thyroid. I am starting thyroid soon under direction of Benedicte, at the moment I'm tracking temps and pulse for a week. I have enlarged thyroid and was wondering how is this treated if I were to see a doctor which I don't want to do even though I live in country with "free" healthcare (not UK). Last time I saw a doctor I was told I need to take statins since my cholesterol is so high as well have some vaccines, so I'm not very keen to go back. Is it possible that they'd run some tests and say nothing needs to be done or do they give thyroid meds for this?
When you are taking thyroid, is it something that you can leave at home when you go away or is it something that once you start you need to take it daily? Once you have enlarged thyroid can it be solved with diet alone or is it time to start on thyroid?
Thanks!!

tara

I'm not sure what drs do here or where you are when there is a visibly enlarged thyroid. I expect they would check you are getting some iodine, and test your thyroid hormones, at least TSH and maybe T3 and T4 (not likely to test rT3 as standard). Maybe they would want to scan it?
Without the goiter, I would expect them to prescribe T4 or not depending on how high TSH is. Their 'normal' TSH range would include a lot of people who are suffering from hypothyroid states - typically up to 4 or 5, depending on country. Peat has said that few people are really healthy with TSH above 2, and under 1 may be better.
High cholesterol seems to be a symptom of low thyroid function.
In the short-term, you might get some stored thyroid hormones released from the gland.

As usual, I recommend starting small and increasing slowly with any T4 supplement. For T3, you can adjust more quickly - eg across the same day. Tiny doses - 1-2mg - seem physiological, but can repeat through the day as needed. While continuing to monitor pulse and temps. Maybe this is similar to Benedictes recommendations? If not, I'd be interested in hearing what she proposes, if you feel like sharing it.

What form of thyroid are you intending to supplement? T4 has a long half-life, and so maybe you can skip it for a day and not be badly affected. T3 has a short half-life, and if you are benefitting from it, you might well notice the lack in less than a day.
Personally, I'm taking 1/4 tablet nutrimeds thyroid 3xday and a little chicken neck stock with dinner. Last summer I only had the chicken neck stock - as you can imagine, that was a bit tricky to take camping for two doses a day. This summer whn I was camping I re[placed the stock with another 1/4 tablet. So much easier!. I think I notice an energy slump if I miss just one of these four doses, and would seriously avoid leaving them behind even for a day. Whether it would be the same for you I don't know, but it's at least possible. If you take enough supplementary thyroid to suppress your own production, it might take up to a week or so to resume if you stop supplementing.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Hi Tara,
I am not on thyroid yet. But next Monday she'll discuss dosage and what to take exactly. Thanks for the explanation and your experience. I was just curious whether it is something you HAVE to take every day once your body gets used it and whether you can ever or would you want to come off it? I will post an update when I know more. :)

tara

Only the 'personally' bit is from experience. The rest is from reading. :)

Some people have come off it, once they are up to speed. Don't know if that applies to everyone. Stopping it before the system is up to speed could well result in return of symptoms. According to Broda Barnes, your own thyroid does not reduce it's production as long as you don't push metabolism up too high - his guideline is not to go above 98.2 F waking temp. If you push it higher than that with supplemental thyroid, presumably you get withdrawal symptoms for a few days/ a week or so, depending on how high it was, and your resources.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

tara said:
post 119148 Only the 'personally' bit is from experience. The rest is from reading. :)

Some people have come off it, once they are up to speed. Don't know if that applies to everyone. Stopping it before the system is up to speed could well result in return of symptoms. According to Broda Barnes, your own thyroid does not reduce it's production as long as you don't push metabolism up too high - his guideline is not to go above 98.2 F waking temp. If you push it higher than that with supplemental thyroid, presumably you get withdrawal symptoms for a few days/ a week or so, depending on how high it was, and your resources.

Tara, thanks! That's exactly what i needed to know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals