Tooth extraction and aspirin

dfspcc20

I'm getting a couple wisdom teeth pulled soon. They are fully erupted, non-impacted, so I opted for local anesthesia only. These are the top wisdom teeth. I don't have 3rd molars on the bottom, so these are non-functioning.
I kept them as long as I could. One of them developed a cavity ~10 years ago. I opted to have it filled. That filling has since fallen out and the cavity itself is quite large now, so I figured it is time for it to go.
For pain management afterwards, is aspirin a no-go due to bleeding risks? I'm sure they're going to push towards Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

no aspirin is okay. Ibuprofen is more powerful for pain though. If it's painful I'd use that instead of aspirin.

Cardiac patients on aspirin therapy may require extractions for their diseased teeth. It is a common practice among physicians andtreating surgeons to stop aspirin prior to tooth extraction because of fear of bleeding complications. This practice often predisposesthe patient to adverse thromboembolic events. This practice is based on theoretical risk of bleeding and on isolated case reportsof excessive bleeding with aspirin therapy. The current consensus and recommendations are in favor of continuing aspirin therapyduring simple tooth extraction as the bleeding complication incidence is very less and if it occurs can be controlled efficiently withlocal hemostasis measures.

Pol-Sci

Forum Supporter
I'm getting a couple wisdom teeth pulled soon. They are fully erupted, non-impacted, so I opted for local anesthesia only. These are the top wisdom teeth. I don't have 3rd molars on the bottom, so these are non-functioning.
I kept them as long as I could. One of them developed a cavity ~10 years ago. I opted to have it filled. That filling has since fallen out and the cavity itself is quite large now, so I figured it is time for it to go.
For pain management afterwards, is aspirin a no-go due to bleeding risks? I'm sure they're going to push towards Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
In a similar situation, Ray told me if I took up to 5 vit K tabs I could keep taking aspirin until the pain stopped. The pain stopped after about 8 325mg aspirin. But this was taken after the bleeding had stopped from the extraction and maybe a day after that when the pain became more intense. I been prescribed a strong dose Ibuprofen (I think with codeine) but that didn't stop the pain.

Last edited:
In a similar situation, Ray told me if I took up to 5 vit K tabs I could keep taking aspirin until the pain stopped. The pain stopped after about 8 325mg aspirin. But this was taken after the bleeding had stopped from the extraction and maybe a day after that when the pain became more intense. I been prescribed a strong dose Ibuprofen (I think with codeine) but that didn't stop the pain.

the pain got worse? Did you have a dry socket?

Pol-Sci

Forum Supporter
Not sure why the pain increased, but I think it got very inflamed.

OP
dfspcc20

dfspcc20

I'm at ~24-hours post-extraction now. No pain or swelling. Only real symptom is the taste of blood in my mouth and trying to avoid food getting stuck in the empty sockets. I haven't needed anything for pain yet (knock on wood).

@Pol-Sci how many days before your symptoms got bad?

Pol-Sci

Forum Supporter
I think it took about 24 hours for the serious pain to set in the time I needed multiple aspirins . However the last time I had a tooth pulled it just got steadily better and I never needed any pain meds. Sounds like you are on the right track. Congrats!

lilsticky

got a tooth crisis of my own. do you think the dissolvabe version of aspirin is better for swilling?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals