Very Low Protein Intake

Green

tara said:
I've been making homemade fresh cheese for months with vinegar. I don't love it by itself, but I really like it turned into cheesecake by adding egg, sugar, lemon juice and salt, and baking it.
Then last month I got some animal gut rennet, and made my cheese with that. It was DELICIOUS. In fact, much more like the taset of the original milk, but better and more concentrated. It had longer wait time in making it than the vinegar version, but not much more complicated.
I've tried various ways to add skim milk powder to things, but my system doesn't seem to be happy with it, unfortunately. If yours likes it, aquaman's pancakes are a great idea, and you can add milk powder to quite a few other things too.
Or condensed milk. Did you see the brigadeiro recipe?

I also make cheese with vinegar and like it best used in cheesecake. I've been considering getting an animal rennet, too with the idea that it would taste much better. I've seen someone mention the junkett rennet but I haven't looked into it. Was it you who mentioned it?

tara

Green said:
I also make cheese with vinegar and like it best used in cheesecake. I've been considering getting an animal rennet, too with the idea that it would taste much better. I've seen someone mention the junkett rennet but I haven't looked into it. Was it you who mentioned it?
Yes, that was me.

4peatssake

I've been eating Skyr. It's from Iceland and I quite love it. I found it at Costco. I'm in Canada.

3/4 c serving has 15 g carbs, 20 g protein, 0 fat and 150 kcal.

Ingredients: pasteurized skim milk, vanilla syrup (sugar, water, vanilla extract), bacterial culture, microbial enzyme.

tomisonbottom

Nstocks said:
I bought some organic skimmed milk powder and had a go making pancakes...

One thing is for sure: A low temperature is vital otherwise it just burns. The texture was slightly rubbery which I did not expect and the taste was OK. I can probably do 3/4 cup milk powder with two eggs with honey/sugar but it's not quite as tasty as I was expecting.

I still need to find a way to hit 100g+ protein consistently which I struggle with... I tend to pin everything on one meal/food which isn't a good idea since variety is quite nice to have.

I might try cooked bananas, one egg and 1 cup milk powder, mostly for flavour, (I read organic bananas are ok - less stressful as long as they are cooked)

Just eat some shellfish, or meat with gelatin. It's easy to get a lot of protein that way.
I ate shrimp the last couple days and it's so good with butter and lemon and its super high in protein.
I had two 8 oz servings and that was 96 grams of protein!

lindsay

I was able to up my protein intake with hard cheeses - like cheddar, gouda, etc. Lately I'm really into havarti. And I haven't gained any weight from it either. You can easily pack in 15 grams of protein with a couple oz. of cheese and I find I am less "fat" eating cheese than drinking milk.

p.s. I should add, some people have issues with dairy from Jersey cows (which is where most dairy comes from in the US). You could try goats' milk or milk from holstein cows. I have a European friend who cannot digest dairy here in the US well and she realized it's because they get milk from different cows in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutchie

tara said:
Hi Toddy,

Peat says beans tend to provide inferior quality, difficult-to-digest protein. Are you aware that Peat and many of us here try to keep polyunsaturated fats as low as possible? Most nuts and seeds have a very high PUFA: protein ratio. You can't get much protein out of nuts without surpassing the 4g PUFA limit Peat says is protective. (Not to mention they have some anti-digestive chemicals, too.) Peat tends to favour animal proteins, esp milk, and potato protein (ideally without the fibre and starch, for peoople with copromised digestion)..

Actually,I've been looking at Lentils today in the store and they're low in PUFAS....the label said 0,3grams per 100grams of uncooked Lentils.

4peatssake

Dutchie said:
tara said:
Hi Toddy,

Peat says beans tend to provide inferior quality, difficult-to-digest protein. Are you aware that Peat and many of us here try to keep polyunsaturated fats as low as possible? Most nuts and seeds have a very high PUFA: protein ratio. You can't get much protein out of nuts without surpassing the 4g PUFA limit Peat says is protective. (Not to mention they have some anti-digestive chemicals, too.) Peat tends to favour animal proteins, esp milk, and potato protein (ideally without the fibre and starch, for peoople with copromised digestion)..

Actually,I've been looking at Lentils today in the store and they're low in PUFAS....the label said 0,3grams per 100grams of uncooked Lentils.
Peat says beans and lentils are anti-thryoid. I've not know him to recommend dietary legumes in any context.

Ray Peat said:
Beans and lentils happen to be powerful anti-thyroid agents, so it isn’t surprising to see indications of decreased aerobic capacity, resulting from decreased peak oxygen consumption in association with the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), if that syndrome is caused by chronic exposure to dietary legumes.”
Source

Dutchie

4peatssake said:
Dutchie said:
tara said:
Hi Toddy,

Peat says beans and lentils are anti-thryoid. I've not know him to recommend dietary legumes in any context.

Ray Peat said:
Beans and lentils happen to be powerful anti-thyroid agents, so it isn’t surprising to see indications of decreased aerobic capacity, resulting from decreased peak oxygen consumption in association with the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), if that syndrome is caused by chronic exposure to dietary legumes.”
Source

I wonder if soaking the Lentils,a day before,decreases those agents and if by these agents he means phytates?
Hmmm....I think I'll become a Breatharian,but since the air is also polluted...I think it's gonna be Starvationarian bc eating most/a lot of Peat foods are off the list for me.

tara

No, don't do starvation, that is guaranteed to run you down fast. If you really can't eat any of the animal proteins, because they give you severe symptoms, you still have to eat. Is that really the case? Have you given them all a good go - various kinds of milk, cheese, shellfish, gelatine, eggs, meat, fish? Pea says potato protein is good (but it takes a couple of kilos of potatoes to get enywhere near a day's reuquirements).
I think soaking or sprouting lentils does improve them, but still doesn't making them ideal food. Still, better than starvation, if you really have bad allergies to all the better foods.

Luann

And yet, beans are part of many healthy cultures, including Buettner's Blue Zone regions, not to mention fat-free, so I don't get the avoidance of beans. For my part I eat beans every day and haven't noticed bad things EXCEPT that if I eat excess protein, past a certain point, I will notice body odor, possible bad mood, weird smelling breath. But the fact that its from legumes has nothing to do with it because meat can actually make all of those things worse. Of course, most meat has some amount of PUFA which is its own issue...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals