What do we think of the "cancer devours sugar" theory?

EnergeticLeo

You'll see it often said that cancer cells have an affinity for glucose, and there are famous cancer doctors who advocate a low sugar diet as a way of resolving cancer or halting its progression. I have a hard time reconciling these ideas with pro-metabolic theories. Thoughts?
I think cancer is known to devour sugar because it relies heavily on glycolysis and relatively little on oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS), compared to healthy cells - this is famous 'Warburg effect'. Glycolysis produces only 2 ATP for every glucose molecule whereas OXPHOS produces 30-32 ATP per glucose molecule. So given that the cells need a certain amount of ATP, the cancer cells burn through far more glucose in a given time period than a healthy cell. The cancer cells are trying to become healthy again and be able to do full OXPHOS but something is blocking them from doing so. So it's not the sugar to blame, but rather the cells' inability to use the sugar efficiently to make ATP.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

What test is that? Can you self order at quest or labcorp? And congratulations on your progress!
There is a test called the nonesterified free fatty acids profile that you can order yourself from quest or LabCorp that is also good, but the one I was talking about is called https://omegaquant.com/omega-3-index-complete/
The name is misleading - it actually looks at all your Sat Fat, MUFA, omega-6, and Omega-3. If you sign up for their email, you get 10% off.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

I think cancer is known to devour sugar because it relies heavily on glycolysis and relatively little on oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS), compared to healthy cells - this is famous 'Warburg effect'. Glycolysis produces only 2 ATP for every glucose molecule whereas OXPHOS produces 30-32 ATP per glucose molecule. So given that the cells need a certain amount of ATP, the cancer cells burn through far more glucose in a given time period than a healthy cell. The cancer cells are trying to become healthy again and be able to do full OXPHOS but something is blocking them from doing so. So it's not the sugar to blame, but rather the cells' inability to use the sugar efficiently to make ATP.
I really like that - it makes sense

Cancer eats sugar is just more bro science. People who consume lots of sugar have no greater likelihood of getting cancer. Cancer is very big on mobilizing fat, so inhibiting lipolysis via aspirin or pyrocet can possibly slow it down or stop it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals