What is the consensus on exercise?

dervmai

progress
Is being sedentary better than exercising vigorously? Where do you draw the line on what type of exercise is conducive to health?

Now sitting and laying all day, with very little movement sounds like it would negatively impact health… but can someone explain how it would be bad from a bioenergetic viewpoint? I am very sedentary, so I would like to know.

Now excessive exercise, I get, I think, as in the reason why we shouldn’t.

So if being sedentary is bad, and so is exercising too much? How much exercise should you do daily?

What are the benefits of some gentle exercise, in terms of metabolic function?

Jonk

I think there is a thread about walking from the user @Amazoniac, all sorts of great thinkers all required daily long walks to function optimally. For exercise i really like long walks with one added sprint, maximum effort for 30 seconds. I think I got the idea from somewhere on the forum too. Don't know anything about the mechanisms behind it, but it feels good.

Truth

Is being sedentary better than exercising vigorously? Where do you draw the line on what type of exercise is conducive to health?

Now sitting and laying all day, with very little movement sounds like it would negatively impact health… but can someone explain how it would be bad from a bioenergetic viewpoint? I am very sedentary, so I would like to know.

Now excessive exercise, I get, I think, as in the reason why we shouldn’t.

So if being sedentary is bad, and so is exercising too much? How much exercise should you do daily?

What are the benefits of some gentle exercise, in terms of metabolic function?
Hi,

I suggest that we "should" not do a specific degree of exercise every day, the better to aim for the highest degree of relaxation, and from there if we tend to move because we appreciate it regardless of other factors, that's just as well, potentially better

the non-appreciation and/or impossibility of standing still can commonly be associated with the inability to achieve a certain degree of sufficient relaxation, and this can commonly be associated with other sub-optimal feelings and characteristics in terms of well-being, physical and mental health(People who take certains "anti-psychotic drugs" can manifest this)

from my experience, movement is really beneficial for us when we feel that it is really enjoyable during it, specifically if we don't have a pre-conceived theoretical idea that "more movement is good for the majority of people"

In my experience, if we really don't enjoy moving, this often indicates that it's not optimal for our body at that moment, and that it's better to move less until we eat foods that make us feel better, and/or the sub-optimal effects of some of the foods we've been eating pass, and/or some of the environmental factors that contribute to this state change

Last edited:

geusterman

In our culture we cannot be considered healthy without regular exercise. That should be both concentric (cardio/systemic) and eccentric (ortho strength, bones strength and maintaining muscle mass for metabolism). I function way above my peers in older age. My peer group suffers from obesity, metabolic disease, joint issues and vascular dementia. I’m speaking to you as a 73-year-old high functioning male that has exercised for 40 years. I also have trained hundreds professionally to develop exercise skills. They are skills as they carefully apply low levels of injury to the body that it might adapt and become stronger and fitter. Hire a quality trainer and learn the skills. You will be so happy! By the way, I had 5500 members in my health club and only a handful of addicted. Don’t worry about it. Least of your problems.

BeanSprouts

Chronic, long-duration exercise is a form of self-punishment, but nobody who actually knows exercise physiology actually recommends that. That's just David Goggins dumb grifter business. Effective strength training is very short in duration and doesn't require any "hacks." Strength training is more important than aerobic training (it hits all aspects of fitness), but even "cardio" is better trained with short durations and high intensity like sprints or jump rope. I can suggest "Body by Science" if you want references.

Sedentary is not better. I watched an acquaintance of mine literally die from it within a year. He was confined to a wheelchair from a young age, and he recently lost access to his pool. Within the same year, he had a series of strokes and died, despite never having them before that. The lack of exercise is directly what killed him. It would not surprise me if that was a factor in Ray Peat's death. I think people misconstrue Ray Peat not choosing to exercise with exercise being bad.

geusterman

Chronic, long-duration exercise is a form of self-punishment, but nobody who actually knows exercise physiology actually recommends that. That's just David Goggins dumb grifter business. Effective strength training is very short in duration and doesn't require any "hacks." Strength training is more important than aerobic training (it hits all aspects of fitness), but even "cardio" is better trained with short durations and high intensity like sprints or jump rope. I can suggest "Body by Science" if you want references.

Sedentary is not better. I watched an acquaintance of mine literally die from it within a year. He was confined to a wheelchair from a young age, and he recently lost access to his pool. Within the same year, he had a series of strokes and died, despite never having them before that. The lack of exercise is directly what killed him. It would not surprise me if that was a factor in Ray Peat's death. I think people misconstrue Ray Peat not choosing to exercise with exercise being bad.
I would agree with your assessment for a Ray Peat. It is sad but so common! I have been an exercise/health leader in my community for years. So many in our community, and our friendships and in our peers have ended their lives early along with disability. I would say over 70% of what takes us out early is from our daily choices. The remaining as luck of the draw. Many of those things can be monitored with regular checkups and good study. Regular, reasonable exercise is truly medicine.

Peater

Ray seemed active in his early years, with the forestry work. It's a shame we didn't 'get to know him' before he was in his 50s/60s. I don't know how much emphasis he put on physical activity, by that point. An energetic philosophy seems like it should encourage appropriate physicality, but then, he never claimed to be an athlete. Anyone know his thoughts on this?

Flagecko

In our culture we cannot be considered healthy without regular exercise. That should be both concentric (cardio/systemic) and eccentric (ortho strength, bones strength and maintaining muscle mass for metabolism). I function way above my peers in older age. My peer group suffers from obesity, metabolic disease, joint issues and vascular dementia. I’m speaking to you as a 73-year-old high functioning male that has exercised for 40 years. I also have trained hundreds professionally to develop exercise skills. They are skills as they carefully apply low levels of injury to the body that it might adapt and become stronger and fitter. Hire a quality trainer and learn the skills. You will be so happy! By the way, I had 5500 members in my health club and only a handful of addicted. Don’t worry about it. Least of your problems.
Good for you! I agree completely! I am 67 and work out with a trainer for an hour 2x a week! And add another day at the gym! I used to be a runner! LOVED running all my life but have it up about 8 years ago! I now focus on strength training and long walks with the dogs! My fitness compared to most of my peers is incredible! Many people I know, younger than me have so many issues! Wow, I will workout and build strength for as long as I live! Where do you live?

Michael Mohn

I think it comes down to joyful and meaningful activity. You should enjoy sports / working out or let it be. Don't do sports just to be fit while you actually hate it.
Activity that has meaning is even superior, like gardening, tinkering, chopping wood for the stove, walking to the grocery store instead of driving with the car, playing an instrument or singing.
These activities have a goal, final product or a meaning beyond the activity itself. Very satisfying.

Walking 5k, taking the stairs to the 3-4 floor, getting up from the ground (while holding an object/weight) are fundamental physical skills. If you can't do them anymore you are going to have a big problem. Doing some exercises, as little as necessary to maintain your basic skills is wise.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’d consider walking in nature one of the top three things that helped me turn around my health. It was probably just the simple combination of natural light, fresh air and movement. I started wearing a weighted vest (not for everyone) and sprinting in time to challenge myself which helped even more. In 2023 I incorporated regular resistance training to help optimize bone and muscle mass and now I’m basically in the best shape of my life besides a brief period in my 20’s when I was in two physical Ed courses in college simultaneously. Women at work tell me frequently that I inspire them which is really nice. Our body is our most valuable physical asset and since I’ve seen so much suffering over the last 25 years in my family and work life it’s important to me to do all I can to stay strong and functional. Rest and recovery is important too of course.

Katty

I’d consider walking in nature one of the top three things that helped me turn around my health. It was probably just the simple combination of natural light, fresh air and movement. I started wearing a weighted vest (not for everyone) and sprinting in time to challenge myself which helped even more. In 2023 I incorporated regular resistance training to help optimize bone and muscle mass and now I’m basically in the best shape of my life besides a brief period in my 20’s when I was in two physical Ed courses in college simultaneously. Women at work tell me frequently that I inspire them which is really nice. Our body is our most valuable physical asset and since I’ve seen so much suffering over the last 25 years in my family and work life it’s important to me to do all I can to stay strong and functional. Rest and recovery is important too of course.
Hi @Blossom , any tips for getting started with a weighted vest? I'm concerned about compression type issues or causing problems for weak bones, etc. I assume it's ok to just start with a lower weight (eg, 5 lbs?), and build up if necessary?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Katty, I started with 10% of my body weight and used that exclusively for about 3 years. I do have a heavier one now that I sometimes hike in for mountain climbing training but I mostly still us one that’s 10% of my body weight. I’ve seen 8 pound vests for sale though so a person could start even lower than 10%. I initially started using it 2020 for an osteoporosis scare which turned out to be wrong but it helped me to rebuild leg and core muscles so well that I stuck with it. If you’re interested but concerned 10% might be too much they make some vests that you can add and subtract weight from to gradually build up slowly overtime.

Katty

@Katty, I started with 10% of my body weight and used that exclusively for about 3 years. I do have a heavier one now that I sometimes hike in for mountain climbing training but I mostly still us one that’s 10% of my body weight. I’ve seen 8 pound vests for sale though so a person could start even lower than 10%. I initially started using it 2020 for an osteoporosis scare which turned out to be wrong but it helped me to rebuild leg and core muscles so well that I stuck with it. If you’re interested but concerned 10% might be too much they make some vests that you can add and subtract weight from to gradually build up slowly overtime.
Thanks for the response! I'll probably look into starting with less than 10%. Going to do some research on available vests.

Exercise can be good but the average gym goer is a slave.
Can you back this up with any facts/data/studies? The people at my gym really have a good time and enjoy the boxing, grappling, kickboxing and mma classes. It’s a very friendly, supportive place. I never see anyone working out for hours, in pain. Most people these days understand that “no pain, no gain” is an outdated philosophy.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals