Why do large fruit meals upset my stomach?

jet9

Title. I don’t like to snack and prefer to have 3 meals a day. However often (not always) I feel somewhat sick after large fruit meal. Why?

Jonk

Two things come to mind, 1. is the fruit ripe and sweet? I can drink orange juice from concentrate or freshly squeezed as long as it isn't too acidic tasting. 2. is amount of fluids. Even though I can handle ripe fruit juice well, I feel like I need most of my calories from "whole foods". This is however a problem I run into with juice, not whole fruits. Reason I don't eat a lot of whole fruits is simply because it's hard to find ripe, and overall feels like a hassle to incorporate to my diet (expensive etc). Maybe increasing salt intake can help

LucH

Hi,
What kind of fruits?
I'd try with only these ones, sepearatly:
- 2 pears (fructose)
- 1 or 2 bananas with green bottoms (important, green => carbs)
- other fruits wel balanced in glucose and fructose (mango, apple, ananas, grapes).

Overton

It can be hard to find truly ripe and sweet fruit, and i find anything less a risk for stomach upset. With large quantities the chance some is unripe goes up is my theory. Maybe try it cooked?

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Title. I don’t like to snack and prefer to have 3 meals a day. However often (not always) I feel somewhat sick after large fruit meal. Why?
Could be FODMAP sensitivity and/or small intestinal dysbiosis. Trying low FODMAP foods to see if they trigger you would be a good way to know, if only high FODMAP foods cause distress then that is likely the culprit.

Runenight201

because a large fruit meal does not make for optimal nutrition. You overate of a specific food and that caused distress.

Smitty

It could be a salicylate sensitivity. Do you have any other accompanying symptoms?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals