Why No Calcium Supplements Paired With Amino Acid Chelate Anions?

yerrag

Magnesium is paired with organic acids (citrate, bicarbonate, gluconate, etc), inorganic acids (sulfate, chloride), bases (carbonate, hydroxide, oxide), and with amino acid chelates (glycinate, taurate). These are available as supplements.

Calcium supplements are also available in similar forms, except for chelates. Why is that?

In my search for a suitable magnesium and calcium supplement for my context, I seem to have gotten the impression that-

- the organic acid pairs and the base pairs metabolize to either carbon dioxide or bicarbonates, when they are absorbed (oxides and hydroxides are much less absorbable through the gut). they can add CO2/bicarbonate and can help with tissue oxygenation. In excess, they can contribute to metabolic alkalosis or respiratory acidosis
- the inorganic acid forms constitute an acidic load on the body (due to more of the acids being absorbed than the cation being absorbed). They can contribute to metabolic acidosis, and in higher quantities, to metabolic acidemia
- the amino acid chelates don't have an acidifying or alkalizing effect on the blood, or are
neutral in that sense

Which is why I'm curious why there are no calcium supplements that are made that are paired with amino acid chelates.

All of us don't want supplements that will add an unnecessary acidic load on our blood/extracellular fluids. But most of us would welcome supplementation that helps with increasing its alkalinity. Well, that is, except for me. Which is why I'm glad there are magnesium supplementation of the chelate form. But I couldn't find the same form for calcium. Bummer.

Anyway, in my effort to lower my blood pressure, I have found therapeutic magnesium to be helpful in chelating the lead out of my kidneys (together with ascorbic acid supplementation). I have gone thru using magnesium chloride, where I felt the unsavory accumulated effects of its daily acidic load, and got sick because of it (allergies, persistent coughing, sleep-deprived nights, lowered immunity).

I swung the other way using the organic acid variety (bicarbonate, acetate) and the base variety (carbonate), and while I am much better off with it, it increases my serum CO2/bicarbonate, leading to increased tissue oxygenation. This would be a good thing normally, but in my current context, it increases my blood pressure. Increased tissue oxygenation in my kidneys antagonizes local uric acid production (needed as an antioxidant to counter the oxidative stresses from the lead toxicity), and my kidneys are forced to further constrict my arterioles to enable hypoxic conditions that are conducive to uric acid production.

This has lead me to using magnesium chelates. I also want to use calcium chelates as I feel calcium balances magnesium, and that's why I'm needing calcium chelates.

If I can't find calcium chelates, I'll just drink more milk, eat more cheeses, and at more well-cooked leaves. At least I have a Plan B, but it's nice to stick with Plan A.

yurt

The company that produces many of the chelates used in supplements (Albion Minerals) do indeed manufacture calcium glycinate.

It's available from Swanson and other purveyors.

tara

All of us don't want supplements that will add an unnecessary acidic load on our blood/extracellular fluids. But most of us would welcome supplementation that helps with increasing its alkalinity. Well, that is, except for me.
I don't know about the amino acid chelates, but I think calcium gluconate may have fairly pH neutral effect?

Acid base balance, and getting appropriate forms of calcium are a couple of central factors in Carey Reams' RBTI.

Not sure where the best sources of info are online ATM, but found these at a quick search:
Calcium gluconate: food for a tired liver | Leads to Health

CALCIUM(S)

AFAIK the calcium recommendations are not incompatible with Peat's ideas.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

The company that produces many of the chelates used in supplements (Albion Minerals) do indeed manufacture calcium glycinate.

It's available from Swanson and other purveyors.
Thanks for sharing on this. It must not be a popular item as it's not on Amazon US. I'll get it from Swanson directly then.
I don't know about the amino acid chelates, but I think calcium gluconate may have fairly pH neutral effect?

Acid base balance, and getting appropriate forms of calcium are a couple of central factors in Carey Reams' RBTI.

Not sure where the best sources of info are online ATM, but found these at a quick search:
Calcium gluconate: food for a tired liver | Leads to Health

That's very useful information on calcium gluconate Tara. Thanks!

The article also mentions calcium orotate and calcium aspartate, which are amino acid salts. I could maybe infer from this that the other amino acid salts glycine and taurine could perhaps be neutral in its effects on acid-base balance?

I think I'm beginning to understand a bit of Carey Reams, but I'm finding it out the hard way. It makes me appreciate more mineral supplementation from the standpoint of its effect on acid-base balance.

CALCIUM(S)

AFAIK the calcium recommendations are not incompatible with Peat's ideas.

Yes, they're not.

I found this quote relevant to my case; "it is important to make sure the calcium being used does not force the body into an adverse pH situation"

OP
yerrag

yerrag

What applies to calcium gluconate, being neutral, must likely apply as well to magnesium gluconate. I may just try both of them.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

What applies to calcium gluconate, being neutral, must likely apply as well to magnesium gluconate. I may just try both of them.
Then again, I may not. Magnesium only takes up 5% of the weight of this salt. I would have to ingest a lot of gluconic acid just to get a small amount of magnesium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals