Are Topical Oils For The Skin A PUFA?

HDD

Florida, 80's here, too. What causes the change? I am bummed. :(

J

j.

Peat said that warmer animals have less PUFA. For example, keeping sweaters on pigs diminishes the PUFA content.

HDD

j. said:
Peat said that warmer animals have less PUFA. For example, keeping sweaters on pigs diminishes the PUFA content.

:rolling I've heard of pigs in a blanket but never pigs in a sweater!

Seriously, that should mean the Florida animals would have less PUFA?

J

j.

Ray Peat said:
Pigs wearing sweaters were found to have more saturated fat than other pigs.

Link

l-A-mini-sweater-for-a-mini-pig.jpg

tumblr_lz8v2sOlGX1qamyq8o1_1280.png

PHOTO_7189855_51585_19040494_ap.jpg

HDD

j. said:
Ray Peat said:
Pigs wearing sweaters were found to have more saturated fat than other pigs.

Link

l-A-mini-sweater-for-a-mini-pig.jpg

tumblr_lz8v2sOlGX1qamyq8o1_1280.png

PHOTO_7189855_51585_19040494_ap.jpg

I just heard this on an interview. I thought you were pulling my leg...didn't check the link. I was going to joke about being a dumb blond. :oops:

Btw, the beef fat lotion turned out nice. Out of 3 dogs and 1 cat, only one really liked it. :shock:

Peata

I've also pondered what skincare to use since starting Peat. I was already trying to avoid parabens, and now I am trying to avoid PUFA oils.

I used to use evoo on my skin for a couple years, and it was pretty nice, but then I started worrying about rancidity. Coconut oil is harder to work with for me, since it hardens according to the temps. When it's hard, it's hard to work with, and when it's a liquid, it gets all over the place. Plus, it doesn't seem as moisturizing on parts of my skin. I can put it on my hands, and later they look and feel dry. :?

As far as what I can pick up at most any store, the "best" thing I found was Aveeno Positively Nourishing whipped souffle. It seems low on the PUFAs but it still has a lot of chemicals and a fragrance I can take or leave. The other one is Calgon Shea Enriched Body Cream (I have Hawaiian Ginger scent). It may have even less PUFA than the Aveeno, but it also has chemicals and a pleasant but strong fragrance.

So I went with the rec of somebody here and ordered Vintage Traditions tallow cream.

HDD

I really like the tallow cream I made. I followed Godiva's instructions but used vanilla extract for the scent. It came out surprisingly nice. :D

Peata

Nice, Diane. :) I doubt I'll be making it, but I'm looking forward to trying the cream when it comes. Great that you were able to use vanilla for the scent.

How do you like tallow on your skin? Notice any superior results to other creams?

HDD

I like it a lot. My skin is very dry and I think my skin absorbs it better than coconut oil.

Peata

My tallow creams just came in the mail today. Fast delivery! :)

I got two of the 2 oz. jars, one is "Pretty Girl Scent" and the other is "Almost Unscented". I've only used Pretty Girl and I love it. That's rare for me 'cause I have issues with scents all the time. I can't stand anything on me that smells too sweet or too much like candy or too fake, or plastic-y and so on... This one is faint in that I can only smell it if I put my skin to my nose and sniff, and it's just a very pleasing scent to me.

I will say that when I first applied it, I could smell the tallow, and while not overwhelming, it was noticeable and "different". But great thing is, it disappeared fast, leaving only the good scent of the essential oils behind.

It only took the tiniest amount to moisturize my hands and up to my elbow, which is great because it's expensive cream (to me). My skin feels moisturized and not like something is just sitting on top of it.

So, that's my review of tallow so far. I'll add more when I get to use it more.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

Peata said:
My tallow creams just came in the mail today. Fast delivery! :)

I got two of the 2 oz. jars, one is "Pretty Girl Scent" and the other is "Almost Unscented". I've only used Pretty Girl and I love it. That's rare for me 'cause I have issues with scents all the time. I can't stand anything on me that smells too sweet or too much like candy or too fake, or plastic-y and so on... This one is faint in that I can only smell it if I put my skin to my nose and sniff, and it's just a very pleasing scent to me.

I will say that when I first applied it, I could smell the tallow, and while not overwhelming, it was noticeable and "different". But great thing is, it disappeared fast, leaving only the good scent of the essential oils behind.

It only took the tiniest amount to moisturize my hands and up to my elbow, which is great because it's expensive cream (to me). My skin feels moisturized and not like something is just sitting on top of it.

So, that's my review of tallow so far. I'll add more when I get to use it more.

i just received the tallow from vintage traditions too. i really like it a lot. i have it all over my body and face. i only got a small of the "almost unscented". i definitely will order some more. he is giving me an esthetician discount which is nice. it's is a little greasy, like on my arms since i don't have any fabric connect with my skin since i am wearing a nightgown. it's is a little greasy but not on my legs since my nighty has been on my legs. but that's okay. i think maybe i used to much. but i really love it and it smells fine and i actually feel okay about using an animal fat all over my skin.