Are Topical Oils For The Skin A PUFA?

tomisonbottom

Godiva said:
]Like I said before, it completely fixed my drooping eyelids. I have severe genetic dark circles which are damn near impossible to cover because they recede and create a dark shadow on top of the darkness of the circles themselves :P. The tallow has plumped up the skin around my eyes enough that the circles look much lighter. At least I can cover them with concealer now which is a huge improvement for me. I also have some pitted acne scaring and that has smoothed out some as well. I've been using it for about 4 months and I'm hoping that will continue to improve. It is an excellent skin healer. I've tried hundreds of products and nothing makes my skin feel or look even close to what tallow does. It literally feels toned and strong as well as moisturized.

Hi Godiva,

Thanks for posting this; I'm excited to try it. I have dark circles and pitted acne scarring too. Do you feel that it has continued to improve? Have you kept using it?
Thanks so much!

himsahimsa

Godiva:
Have you tried fresh unsalted butter or ghee made in a double boiler? Is there a reason butter is not a good emollient? It seems to me an easier and more direct path. The fatty acid profile must be similar.

Totally changing the subject:

You could mix the soda with the chunked fat in the first melt to get the longest dwell time and catch free fatty acids and other smelly things before they stick to the intact triglycerides. I would mix about 125ml dry sodium bicarbonate (more would be totally fine) directly with each 500ml chunked fat, mixing well before and especially during the melt. Then filter and do the water wash out as usual. A whisk would be good for a thorough mix at melt and wash out. Odor would be less from the start.

I water render beef bones (as seldom as possible), the stink is overwhelming. I have taken to dry rendering them in the oven at about 300[sup]o[/sup]F. Smells more like roast beef (sort of). But I only use that fat for frying/sauteing.

livesimply

Today I wrote to Dr. Peat:
"Looking at this ingredient list for a body lotion:
Bio-fermented fresh, organic sweet potato liquid extract, fresh hand-filleted aloe vera, bee and vegetable wax, grapeseed oil, organic papaya extract, quaking aspen tree bark, fermented horseradish, organic vanilla extract
would you say it is high PUFA that would be absorbed into my skin because of the grapeseed oil and I should avoid it?

and he (quickly) replied: "If the amount of beeswax is high relative to that, it could be safe."

So I don't think all lotions that contain some high-PUFA oils necessarily need to be tossed. JMHO.

Nicole W.

i went to purchase some cosmetics today and i couldn't believe how many PUFA's and oils were in all the things i normally use. now i have to find a body lotion for myself that doesn't have any PUFA in it.

which body lotions does anyone use that are good. i am an Esthetician and i will need to find a bunch of different things. i think the essential oils are okay like Lavender, Orange oil, Ylang Ylang but i will ask Peat.
I really like Body Deli products. It's a small company based in the Coachella Valley in CA and they mostly use coconut oil and shea butter in their body creams ( not lotions). They are well aware that whatever is applied to the skin can enter the bloodstream so the ingredients are mostly food grade ingredients. I really like the coconut cream body cream and the Rose facial moisturizer myself.

Nikki

Depends. What is the temperature of the area the fat comes from? We are running 80's here for almost a month, the milk color has changed. In cooler regions, that change may not have happened yet. Grassfed may have less toxins, but if it's already warm where you are, it's going to be MUCH higher in unsaturated fat. It will probably be yellow in color (beta carotene) and soft.

Wouldn't the opposite be true? Wouldn't an animals fat become less saturated (if such a thing were possible) when the weather cools?

RawEel

i am an Esthetician and i have learned to use oils such as Almond Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sesame Oil as the Auyervdic culture believes so highly in. i use them for my face, body and on clients. should i stop using all oils? are there any oils that are not considered PUFA? what about jojoba oil?

thanks!
Hope this helps - I was wondering the same thing about almond oil. Found a kohl (eyeliner) that’s got almond oil and liquorice as additional ingredients only but now I won’t get it for sure. :’( happen to know of a non-toxic eyeliner?

“Almond oil, which is used in many cosmetics, is very unsaturated.”

“Those fatty acids, such as linoleic acid and linolenic acid, which are found in linseed oil, soy oil, walnut oil, almond oil, corn oil, etc., are essential for the spontaneous development of cancer, and also appear to be decisive factors in the development of age pigment, alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, obesity, stress-induced immunodeficiency, some aspects of the shock reaction, epilepsy, brain swelling, congenital retardation, hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and other degenerative conditions. They are possibly the most important toxin for animals.”