Are Topical Oils For The Skin A PUFA?

Stunning4keke

i am an Esthetician and i have learned to use oils such as Almond Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Sesame Oil as the Auyervdic culture believes so highly in. i use them for my face, body and on clients. should i stop using all oils? are there any oils that are not considered PUFA? what about jojoba oil?

thanks!

jyb

Those you mention indeed have pufa, and RP seems to think those can be absorbed by the skin.

Why not go for coconut oil?

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

oh, i definitely will. it's just that i still have so many of these oils and being an Esthetician i use a lot on clients too. i kinda wanted to just use them up and find an alternative. i guess coconut oil is the only alternative?

nwo2012

Stunning4keke said:
oh, i definitely will. it's just that i still have so many of these oils and being an Esthetician i use a lot on clients too. i kinda wanted to just use them up and find an alternative. i guess coconut oil is the only alternative?

Yes it is. I had to throw out loads of PUFA loaded oils myself when getting into Ray Peat. Using them up, its like saying as I have all this ammunition laying around I will play Russian roulette until it's all used up.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

that is true! i guess i will throw them out but there are some i am still questioning because they have so many essential oils like rose, lavender, etc.. surly essential oils are okay and not a PUFA? right? i sure hope not--i am the essential oil Queen.
but the oils i have are almond oil, sesame oil, walnut oil, avacado oil, evening primose oil, i guess those are all PUFA's?

i think i read somewhere that Ray said the best oil was jojoboa and of course coconut.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

and how can i learn what all is PUFA so i can start eliminating PUFA from my diet and hygiene? is there a thread or a list that states what all is PUFA? i guess eggs and chicken are considered PUFA so how do we know how much if any to eat of those?
sorry, i am still new to all of this and very overwhelmed by it. i feel like if i don't start taking care of my thyroid now it will be too late and i am suffering from a brain injury.
thanks!

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

i've been wanting to use this product for a long time but now i am not so sure? can you tell me if the ingredients are all PUFA? i know the evening primose is, here are the ingredients: thank you! wondering about sea buckthorne berry?

L’huile de grace contains the very best documented essential oils in the area of skin regeneration and preservation, including certified organic Helichrysum (Corsica), Neroli (Tunisia), and wild crafted Frankincense (Somalia). Additional key ingredients include extract of Sea Buckthorn Berry, Croton Lechleri tree sap (also known as Sangre de Drago) from the Amazonian rainforest, and organic golden Jojoba, Cranberry, and Evening Primrose oils.

J

j.

Stunning4keke said:
thanks for the link. what about essential oils, are they considered PUFA?

what do you mean by essential oils? linoleic and linolenic acid? they are pufa.

pboy

j. said:
Stunning4keke said:
thanks for the link. what about essential oils, are they considered PUFA?

what do you mean by essential oils? linoleic and linolenic acid? they are pufa.

I think he means plant essences (like orange oil, lavender oil, almond oil (flavor), clove oil ect), things you'd use in a vaporizer or perfume, soap ect.... I'm pretty sure these are polyphenols, sugars (though called oils)...and are likely safe on the skin, they probably aren't absorped and if they are it would be a really small amount, and probably if anything might be a benefit depending on what it is....ask sir Peat though to be sure!

I know in one of his radio interviews, he mentions that vanilla is anti inflammatory

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

essential oils are the oils like lavender, neroli, frankincense, mostly the oils i listed in that L'huile de Grace? i don't think essential oils are pufa.
what about sea buckthorne oil and castor oil? are those a pufa?

pboy

if the essence came from a seed, theres potentially a small amount of PUFA, but if you think about it based on the bottle sizes, and amount you'd use at once, it would be a fraction of a gram that you would actually be applying, and probably not ingesting / apsorbing any. Definatly not something to worry about unless you were consistently using large amounts of castor, almond, ect...but honestly even then I wouldn't worry about it. If the aromas make you feel more grounded, calmer, a better person, a better prescence, then the stress reducing factors of the oil would be of way more benefit to you than worrying about the potentially minute/negligable amount of PUFA in the oil. Essential oils are usually rich in antioxidants as well

key

"An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants."-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil

gretchen

PUFAs are in many moisturizers and serums. Vegetable oils like safflower and almond are quite popular. Olive oil is also one to watch out for; Peat says no more than 1 tsp a day. (I think)

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

i went to purchase some cosmetics today and i couldn't believe how many PUFA's and oils were in all the things i normally use. now i have to find a body lotion for myself that doesn't have any PUFA in it.

which body lotions does anyone use that are good. i am an Esthetician and i will need to find a bunch of different things. i think the essential oils are okay like Lavender, Orange oil, Ylang Ylang but i will ask Peat.

OP
Stunning4keke

Stunning4keke

what is everyone using on the lips? coconut oil? i cannot find one lip balm without a ton of PUFA in it.
any suggestions?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I use coconut oil everywhere.