Any Other Insomnia Suggestions?

Peata

Hmm, wonder if this CO2 stuff had anything to do with why I sucked my thumb til I was about 5?

I had a peculiar way of doing it in that I had my right thumb in my mouth, but I also HAD to have this special little blanket up to my nose so I could breathe through the blanket through my nose while my mouth was plugged with my thumb.

I was "addicted" to it. If I went somewhere and forgot my blanket (which only happened a couple times because I was so attached to it), I would go through withdrawal - anger, irritable, panic. Just sucking my thumb was not a fix - I HAD to have that blanket (and it could only be that special blanket, I believe because of its softness, texture and smell) up to my nose at the same time so I could breathe through it. It was truly my comfort.

Maybe even at that young age I was hypo and my body was trying to do something to correct it.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail thread. Just a thought that came to me.

OP
M

messtafarian

Maybe, but then again little kids do weird things. I mean in the universe of weird things, little kids are like way outside the weirdness curve. I think it has to do with growth and development and how it doesn't always sync up with the soothing voiceover.

What you're describing seems more like a breastfeeding environment analog? Maybe there is a CO2 component to that, come to think of it.

P.S. -- All right, I'm going to try under-the-blanket breathing tonight. It would be fantastic if it worked :)

Swandattur

My little grandson does that with the thumb sucking and special blanket. I had two special blankets as a kid that I liked to sleep with. To me they were live creatures that I loved.

natedawggh

Sugar is not the problem. Sugar fuels cells so they all work the way they're supposed to, which would mean u falling asleep normally. Sugar is not a stimulant the way caffeine can be. What is happening is that u probably have elevated cortisol and/or adrenaline, perhaps in relation to hypoglycemia.

Ray peat:
"Since insulin lowers blood sugar as it disposes of amino acids, eating a large amount of protein without carbohydrate can cause a sharp decrease in blood sugar. This leads to the release of adrenalin and cortisol, which raise the blood sugar."

Protein can also increase insulin response in the presence of carbohydrate. Try foregoing any protein too close to bed time, instead taking sugar with some coconut oil or other saturated fat, this will prolong the sugar levels in your bloodstream, preventing the intense release of cortisol. If its not working, increase the amount of sugar, then read more Ray Peat.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

jyb

Unrelated note. Suppose you had to skip a night (insomnia, work, travel...), what do you do the following day? What about if you work the next day and nap isn't an option before evening?

I'm not sure whether nap is good or not. I know from the past nap can delay sleep onset at night, so it might be better to just fight through the day until bedtime, but I'm not sure.

In terms of diet, I think it's might be best to reduce dairy, since low metabolism would make the tryptophan in milk more likely to be an issue.

mandance

IVe been having insomnia since getting off of antidepressants...what helps for me is going to bed 12 hours before I need to be up to ensure I get enough sleep incase its a problem. Also 50mg or so of antihistamines or sleeping aids and warm milk helps...sometimes if im really having trouble I will pop a valium, but usually only if I got very little sleep the night before and its very important to get sleep the next night.

natedawggh

I know this is long past your post... but after a bout with the flu and taking anti-histamines, I realized that ALL of my sleep problems have been related to histamine. I now am taking benadryl nightly and switched to goats milk (which doesn't contain BCM-7, a powerful histamine producer in most cow's milk), and I sleep soundly EVERY NIGHT from 11 pm - 8 am. Peat has a lot to say about antihistamines you can read on his articles.

Jib

I have been having really bad insomnia lately. Feels like I'm going to lose my mind. The more I try to calm myself down the more I panic, and if I don't try to do anything I panic anyway. I feel like I'm in hell.

I've actually had severe anxiety every single night as I'm trying to go to sleep for a very, very long time now. Something's not right. I was thinking of getting a saliva cortisol test and starting Seriphos. I actually feel generally okay for most of the day, able to push through the chronic frustration/anxiety, but at night all the demons come out.

A rebreathing apparatus would be great so I wouldn't have to hold a bag up to my face, and could just lie down and chill out.

I also thought a good meditation would be that you're solid as steel, and that all these trillions of thoughts and feelings are like a giant tornado sweeping into you -- but you're completely still. Not budged even a half of an inch.

I should try benadryl. For all the meditating and everything else I would really much rather take a pill or something to end this torture :p

jyb

Jib said:
I have been having really bad insomnia lately. Feels like I'm going to lose my mind. The more I try to calm myself down the more I panic, and if I don't try to do anything I panic anyway. I feel like I'm in hell.

For me what's been best so far is CO2 breathing at bedtime, and some anti-serotonin drugs like cyprohept and tianeptine. Some good digestion (easy foods, some cascara) seem to help too. Although I find cypro more useful in general, strangely tianeptine specifically helps for the sleep. I never tried benadryl. This effect only seems to last as long as I keep taking the drugs, so I haven't permanently solved my insomnia. Ultimately I still believe that insomnia is just a hypo symptom, and since I'm still hypothyroid I expect this to continue to some degree. But my insomnia hasn't got worse than before I started taking care of thyroid, it was there before.

PS. It's funny that you have almost same nickname yet such similar symptom.

Kray

natedawggh said:
I know this is long past your post... but after a bout with the flu and taking anti-histamines, I realized that ALL of my sleep problems have been related to histamine. I now am taking benadryl nightly and switched to goats milk (which doesn't contain BCM-7, a powerful histamine producer in most cow's milk), and I sleep soundly EVERY NIGHT from 11 pm - 8 am. Peat has a lot to say about antihistamines you can read on his articles.

Nate- are you still going strong on the goat's milk? I'm thinking of switching over. I would LOVE to test the sleep theory! :)

veritas

I had a peculiar way of doing it in that I had my right thumb in my mouth, but I also HAD to have this special little blanket up to my nose so I could breathe through the blanket through my nose while my mouth was plugged with my thumb.

Wow, I did the same thing. I sucked my thumb and basically suffocated myself with my blanket constantly. I'd kind of hold the breath halfway and rapidly inhale/exhale with shallow breaths with a blanket covering the lower half of my face or bunched around my nose. I did that for my whole childhood.

Glassy

I used to do the 4-7-8 breathing technique for sleeping but then I’d forget how long to breath in, hold and breath out so I just focussed on a quick deep inhale, holding for as long as comfortable and then a long slow exhale. After reading a heap on Buteyko, I realised their objective was to increase blood CO2 levels so I’ve been playing around with deep slow inhales and exhales with pauses in between while trying to suppress the gasps. I’ve also tried the shallow breath technique and holding the breath out after a shallow breath in.

To be honest I seem to be able to get to sleep now pretty quickly these days despite the increase in caffeine (I used to stop coffee after 12pm because it affected my sleep). I still practice breathing every night because I want to raise my CO2 levels and change my breathing patterns. As a consequence I usually roll over and nod off at some point. Ive had bad periods of insomnia a while back and it had huge affects on my mental state (I take sleep seriously now). I figure if I practice my breathing in bed I’m being more efficient lol.

ddjd

Try zero fat diet. Just one or two days. Fat in my diet completely messes up my circadian rhythm

frant26

Mirtazapine, approximately 2-3mg (that's only 1/10th of a standard capsule!) knocks me out VERY effectively, it even has during a very stressful period of my life. I think taking much more than that can be detrimental – and for sure makes you a zombie the next day. No such effect if I don't exceed ~3mg. Fortunately I don't have to take it every night.

If I can't sleep I make sure I urinated, that the room/bed is not too hot, and I stretch with a few yoga positions. If there is some annoying noise, I put earplugs on and use a fan/AC or a white-noise generator (I love this one Online Background Noises • Masking Sounds • Relaxing Tones) either with speakers or on a pair of big headphones I have.

A few drops of progesterone also really help. Theanine (200-400mg) possibly too.

In addition to all the better known anti-stress subtances and circadian rhythm regulation, of course, and especially avoiding foods high in histamine.

biggirlkisss

sleeping with the light on and eating right before bed can help. Very bright close to you before bed helps too. 130 volt incandescent are a cheap good start.

L

lollipop

This is the white noise generator I use. Of all the remedies I have used, using this has been the most effective:

LectroFan High Fidelity White Noise Machine with 20 Unique Non-Looping Fan and White Noise Sounds and Sleep Timer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MY8V86Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hPl0AbN6G20NZ

Now in combination with a weighted blanket, sleep has never been as easy and good for me:

Premium Quality Soft Minky Blue Sensory Weighted Blanket - 12 Lb 48Wx72L, 4ftx6ft - For Women, Men, Adults, Children, Autism - Reduces Anxiety, Stress - Promotes Restful Sleep, Machine Wash and Dry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075L54WDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XRl0AbV5AJJQC

L

lollipop

why does white noise generator help lisaferraro any ideas theorys?
This one in particular is not on loop but an algorithm that generates randomly. Meaning the cheap loop ones have a break which the brain hears and wakes up.

Now to answer your question specifically, I do not know, for me personally it provides a steady rhythmic sound that my brain listens to relaxing it. The white noise generator covers all other sounds that could disturb sleep...