Books On Hypothyroidism

HDD

I am ordering the book by Broda Barnes on hypothyroidism and wondering if anyone has any other books they recommend. Or do you think I can get everything I would need to know from Ray Peat articles?

jaguar43

Haagendazendiane said:
I am ordering the book by Broda Barnes on hypothyroidism and wondering if anyone has any other books they recommend. Or do you think I can get everything I would need to know from Ray Peat articles?

Mark Starr hypothyroid 2 is a good book. THough he is a neo-darwin, and supports WAPF( nothing wrong with WAPF)

The most important part I think is when he talks about myxedema.

Mittir

Ray Peat recommends this book by Thomas H. McGavack's 1951 book, The Thyroid.

A book such as McGavack's The Thyroid, that provides traditional medical knowledge about thyroid physiology, can help to dispel some of the current dogmas about the thyroid.
--http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hypothyroidism.shtml

I was reading some articles on chicken thyroid in Google book section.
Poultry scientist have shown several things which are recommended by RP.
There is a tendency among so called modern scientist to discredit
rat studies. But they will not conduct same studies in human.
Physiological similarities between human and chicken are quite interesting.

J

j.

I own Broda Barnes' book. I read some parts. It's great. He wrote that PUFAs were bad in the 70s, although I think he did it in his other book, the one about heart attacks.

OP
H

HDD

Thanks, think I will try to find all three of the books, used.

Is myxedema covered in Barnes book?

That is interesting about the chicken thyroid. Will have to check that out.

burtlancast

You need to order the books from the Broda Barnes foundation; i don't believe you'll find them used.

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
You need to order the books from the Broda Barnes foundation; i don't believe you'll find them used.
Both new and used copies of Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness are listed on Amazon.

Broda Barnes Book on Amazon

4peatssake

burtlancast

I wanted to point out some books by Barnes aren't available used ( hypoglycemia, the riddle of heart attacks) and can only be found at Broda Barnes' foundation.

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
I wanted to point out some books by Barnes aren't available used ( hypoglycemia, the riddle of heart attacks) and can only be found at Broda Barnes' foundation.
Sorry Burt, I don't mean to come across as argumentative, but that's not accurate information. And I find the foundation's website to be confusing to say the least. It doesn't seem to carry the books but offers them on audio cassette or CD via a form?

Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks can be purchased used on Amazon.
17 used & new from $46.63

Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks

Hope for Hypoglycemia is available used as well but very pricey!
Used from $132.53

Hope for Glycemia on Amazon

I called a local used bookstore - considered somewhat of a national treasure around here - as if anyone has these sitting somewhere, they probably do. If I source any of these titles reasonably priced HDD, I'll let you know!

burtlancast

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
Both of those can be bought new at 20 bucks each at the foundation !

http://www.brodabarnes.org/bookstore.htm

:2cents
Gosh Burt, I really do not think this is true.

The Broda O. Barnes, M.D. Research Foundation, Inc. bookstore is brought to you in association with Amazon.com. Each title listed has been carefully chosen for its subject matter and educational value. To order any of these books through either Amazon.com or in some cases the Broda Barnes Research Foundation, simply click on the title.

I put in a call to the foundation to make sure but if you click on the titles of his books - other than Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspecting Illness - they do not even come up in Amazon. From what I can tell, these titles are not available.

If you click on the order number for one of his books, for example "Order # B01- $29.00" for his hypothyroidism book, it takes you to a form page to order audios, CD or reprints. The books are not available this way as far as I can tell. I could be wrong - I hope I am - but I don't think so.

Like I said before, it is very confusing, and so I've called the foundation to get a clear understanding of what is available through them.

Geez fella, no offense. Trying to sort things out here.

OP
H

HDD

4peatssake said:
Used copies of Mark Starr's book also on Amazon.

Hypothyroidism Type 2 on Amazon

Also there is Hans Selye's The Stress of Life. New and used copies of all these books.

The Stress of Life on Amazon

Thomas H. McGavack's book, The Thyroid, is also available, both new and used, but pricier than the others.

The Thyroid on Amazon by Thomas H. McGavack on Amazon

Thanks 4ps! I was looking at different sites for used copies. I think with one of the books it is better to buy new. The books by Hans Selye look interesting, too.

OP
H

HDD

burtlancast said:
4peatssake said:
Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks can be purchased used on Amazon.
17 used & new from $46.63

Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks

Hope for Hypoglycemia is available used as well but very pricey!
Used from $132.53

Hope for Glycemia on Amazon

Both of those can be bought new at 20 bucks each at the foundation !

http://www.brodabarnes.org/bookstore.htm

:2cents

Thanks, burtlancast. I would be interested in the book about hypoglycemia. Have you read it?

burtlancast

Don't worry; both are available as i wrote, 20 bucks each.
They are not in book format but as xeroxed pages.

burtlancast

Haagendazendiane said:
Thanks, burtlancast. I would be interested in the book about hypoglycemia. Have you read it?

Yes.
Just as all the other Barnes books, it's very clear and simple to understand by just about anyone.

4peatssake

burtlancast said:
Don't worry; both are available as i wrote, 20 bucks each.
They are not in book format but as xeroxed pages.
Oh geez :lol well that's a whole different story, which they'll likely tell me when they return my call. ;)

J

j.

Gosh burt, fella, please stop providing all this useful information. I want to give other people as much of my money as I can.

burtlancast

j. said:
Gosh burt, fella, please stop providing all this useful information. I want to give other people as much of my money as I can.

Gosh j, if these other people don't show any interest in taking your money, and you're at a loss on what to do, i can ALWAYS gracefully help you get rid of it by dumping it on my bank account.

:mrgreen: