Skin Scars

Mittir

Here are some quotes on pigmentation. It seems like treatments for pigmentation of hair and skin are same .
Ingesting copper also helps with improving skin pigmentation. Beef liver and shellfish are high in copper.

<treatments for vitiligo> I used a dilute copper solution to restore pigment to my eyebrows and whiskers, but when the solution was too concentrated it produced, within a few hours, a raised pigmented area, so I stopped using it topically. Vitamin D and progesterone favor the survival of pigment cells. I think a topical solution of aspirin and caffeine might be helpful, and is safe. viewtopic.php?t=1035&p=11597#p11587

mmartian wrote:I emailed Dr. Peat about restoring color to my graying hair a few days ago. This was his response:

Ray Peat wrote:Do you know how your thyroid function is? Thyroid regulates copper assimilation, and also the hormones that regulate pigment.

I found that applying a weak solution of copper just once would restore color immediately to eyebrows, or to about 10% of sideburn hairs, apparently because the very long-lived hairs have to be in the right phase of growth, and eyebrows, with a very short life, seem to stay receptive to the stimulation. But I also found that a slightly too strong solution could cause a mole to develop almost instantly, with an invasion of pigment cells. I think a safer alternative would be to supplement, either topically or orally, a little DHEA. viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035#p9652

jyb

Why would DHEA instead of copper help, if the problem is related to copper deficiency?

OP
R

Registration

Thanks for replies thus far.

Scar tissue is metabolically inactive. I wonder how to reactivate the scar tissue?

4peatssake

Registration said:
Anyone have any suggestion to heal white skin scars caused by scrapes and such?

Thanks!
Red light perhaps?

Ray Peat said:
Light, especially the red light which penetrates easily into tissues, activates the formation of new cells as well as their differentiation. It affects energy production, increasing the formation of mitochondria, and the activity of the DNA methyltransferase enzymes. Red light accelerates wound healing, and improves the quality of the scar, reducing the amount of fibrosis. The daily cycling between darkness and light is probably an important factor in regulating the birth and differentiation of cells.
Stem cells, cell culture, and culture: Issues in regeneration

I'm thinking topical application of Progest E could help too, dissolved in a little olive oil for easier application.
I'd use coconut oil as well. I use it as a body lotion. Amazing stuff.

mandance

Do you do the same for applying to gums also with progest e? I never thought to add it with that other stuff. I am awaiting some in the mail. And it will be my first time.

4peatssake

mandance said:
Do you do the same for applying to gums also with progest e? I never thought to add it with that other stuff. I am awaiting some in the mail. And it will be my first time.
No, I use it straight on the gums. It's thick so it's a little easier to use a little olive oil when you apply it topically. It's just an option.

Ray Peat said:
PROGESTERONE SUPPLEMENTATION

SYMPTOMATIC: For tendonitis, bursitis, arthritis, sunburn, etc., progesterone in vitamin E can be applied locally after a little olive oil has been put on the skin to make it easier to spread the progesterone solution.
Progesterone Summaries

jyb

One of the recent RP articles is also about topical applications.

4peatssake

jyb said:
One of the recent RP articles is also about topical applications.
Are you referring to his article about Rosacea?

Ray Peat said:
The sun-damaged areas in rosacea can be directly provided with some of the protective factors by applying them topically. In the same way that topical lactate can cause vasodilation and disturbed energy metabolism (Rendl, et al., 2001), topical niacinamide, progesterone, vitamin K, and coenzyme Q10 can improve the metabolism and function of the local tissues. Riboflavin can probably be useful when applied topically, but because of its extreme sensitivity to light, it should usually be used only internally, unless the treated skin is covered to prevent exposure to light. Topically applied caffeine, even after sun exposure, can reduce local tissue damage (Koo, et al., 2007). Aspirin and saturated fats can also be protective when applied topically.

Great connecting of dots, jyb, as he speaks specifically about progesterone's usefulness in thwarting fibrosis.

Progesterone regulates smooth muscle tone, including the walls of veins, so that a deficiency allows veins to enlarge. It also prevents overgrowth of fibrotic tissue, and in some contexts may inhibit angioneogenesis.
Rosacea, inflammation, and aging: The inefficiency of stress

4peatssake

Registration said:
You folks are great.

Any specific (read: amazon link) bulb for red light?
Best bulbs for red light are clear 250 watt incandescent bulbs .

Amazon Link

You'll also need a brooder lamp type fixture to use with the bulb. Some forum members have set up 2-3 of these. I have just one for now.

Brooder Lamp

The fixture at the link above has a "guard" which mine doesn't have but I bought it at a rural hardware store. You can probably source all this locally at a feed shop. This is a set up used for baby chicks. ;)

Here is a massive 35-page thread on red light therapy.

Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

OP
R

Registration

So just to summarize: Red light and Progest E? With the Gelatin (and other RP foods)?

fyo

In my understanding, virtually everything that's good for the body is likewise good for the skin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals