Danny Roddy Articles?

jayUK9779

Hope somebody can help with this,

I am trying to read some of danny roddys articles, but it keeps asking me to subscribe. I have subscribed on two email accounts and it still doesnt work?? Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

Jay

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I can only get to his articles through my email. If I try to log on to his site it doesn't work for me anymore. Luckily I had an email from when I subscribed that I didn't delete or I'm not sure what I would have done since I really wanted to listen to his recent podcast with Phil from pranarupa. Maybe someone could let him know that people are having this problem.

mt_dreams

Matt stone did this a couple of months back as well. Looks like there's a new marketing plan where bloggers remove all old blog posts and just having a monthly newsletters. Everything comes back to revenue, so I guess having a large email subscription list is more profitable than how many hits your blog may get. I would imagine they are also trying to protect their research/ideals from others trying to piggyback off them (which funny enough is what both of these guys do a lot of the time). I'm not a fan of this, so hopefully it does not become a trend.

Dan W

If you don't mind iTunes, all the podcasts are accessible here (really good stuff with Phil):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gen ... d597757763

I don't think any of the articles become accessible when you're subscribed to the list, it's more of a newsletter. But I bet Danny would send you any individual articles you want if you ask. Or I can dig some of them up in my RSS reader if you're missing any in particular.

It sounded like Danny's motivation was to avoid people landing on a random article and getting confused by the unorthodox content (he said he gets a lot of messages from people that clearly misunderstand the ideas). So he's able to provide more of a "guided tour" by using the e-mail list instead of having people land in the deep end.

D

dannyroddy

I started the blog in 2007 as a way to update everyone on my adventures as a vegan in a touring band. Obviously, the weblog progressed overtime as I shifted from Veganism, to Paleo, to ZC, to Ray. It’s worth noting that in the early days, I had literally no clue what Ray was saying and misinterpreted most everything he said (in 2010 'Ray resources,' like this forum, didn't exist).

When Matt pulled the plug on his blog, I thought it was a brilliant move. The idea of helping a new reader avoid the tomb of incorrect articles dating back to 2007 (that were still very popular), and instead—immediately handing them my book (for free), and taking them on a journey with context—was extremely compelling:

Questions about estrogen? Read my book.
Questions about serotonin? Read my book.
Questions about “EFAs”? Read my book.
Questions about cell respiration? Read my book.

Another reason I decided to ditch the weblog was that it was taking up all of my time. The last article I wrote on genetics took me approximately two months to write. Two months. I'm a horrible writer and it takes me a lot of time to come up with anything. Worse yet, no one read it. I don't give a ***t about "hits," but still, this made me think that there were better ways to spend my time (like writing another free book).

In conclusion:

1) I closed the weblog to avoid the mass amount of confusion surrounding ideas on health dating back to 2007. Many of this happens behind the scenes and readers aren’t aware of it.
2) Writing articles takes a significant amount of my time.
3) Having someone "subscribe" to the site allows me to hand them my book (for free) and a set of "curated articles" that I think are still good. People that subscribe are generally more engaged, and tend to "get it."
4) The *only way* I currently make money is through "coaching."
5) My goal is to "be like Ray." Like many of you, I'm obsessed with him. He's changed my life. I've been approached by many, many people to help market supplements/products/lame-web-summit-things-hosted-by-some-Paleo-person and I turn them down every time. I always ask "what would Ray do?"

Warmly,
Danny

I can understand that, even the hundred bucks an hour which is crazy. Sure enough people want to be told what to do and pay for it, so better with you than at some doctor's office.

In my opinion Ray Peat inspired bloggers should focus on one aspect that attracts them, or that has caused them to approach this field. They should start thinking about creating NEW information. I think that you could help people with hair loss in novel ways by researching topical vitamins and extract data from your coaching experiences, like plotting hair loss with some peatish blood tests. Take care.

D

dannyroddy

Such_Saturation said:
I can understand that, even the hundred bucks an hour which is crazy.

Why do you say that?

Such_Saturation said:
Sure enough people want to be told what to do and pay for it, so better with you than at some doctor's office.

I don't think coaching is a replacement for doctor's care.

Such_Saturation said:
In my opinion Ray Peat inspired bloggers should focus on one aspect that attracts them, or that has caused them to approach this field. They should start thinking about creating NEW information.

I can't think of any Peat-inspired bloggers that don't do this. Who are you referring to?

Such_Saturation said:
I think that you could help people with hair loss in novel ways by researching topical vitamins and extract data from your coaching experiences, like plotting hair loss with some peatish blood tests. Take care.

Do you follow my work? I feel like this is exactly what I try to do.

dannyroddy said:
Why do you say that?

It seems like a lot of money to me, but I think I can understand it.

dannyroddy said:
I don't think coaching is a replacement for doctor's care.

I know you have to say that, but in my view it is. It is for problems that mainstream medicine tends to either ignore or cause to degenerate. It is in the measure that it can stimulate an aknowledgement of one's own health responsibilities.

dannyroddy said:
I can't think of any Peat-inspired bloggers that don't do this. Who are you referring to?

A good portion of those linked on the homepage. However, given that most of these interpolate many different (philosophical, dietary, esthetic) colors into their commercial attire, and that what you can infer from their websites tells you so little about what information they confer during a coaching session, mine is a debatable opinion. I suspect the people are paying for a rational opinion about their health, something they surely are not used to.

dannyroddy said:
Do you follow my work? I feel like this is exactly what I try to do.

I have scanned through your book, and I see a very good summary of Ray Peat's theories. In the amount that I can navigate the website, I find two articles presenting a good explanation of "Peat no-nos" as well. However I have been for the last year acting in the most rational way to minimize these elements, and I shed hair just as much as before. In my opinion you are in an appropriate position to create repeatable, successful approaches that exploit this underestimated view of the organism, to a degree that would surprise even the diehard Peaters.

J

j.

Maybe the Peat program(*) sometimes doesn't seem to work for hair loss because the importance of prolactin isn't emphasized enough. If prolactin isn't coming down, as seen in a lab test, it should't be long before vitamin E is flowing through the person's adipose tissue.

(*) I know, there is no Peat "program", authoritarianism, blah blah blah

fyo

Danny,

Re "Bioenergetic View Email Series": If these 20 articles were available for people to link directly to, instead of being behind the email-signup, wouldn't that only increase popularity? I know some people who might glance over a single article upon reccomendation, but would be disinclined to sign up for a email series they were unfamiliar with.

j. said:
Maybe the Peat program(*) sometimes doesn't seem to work for hair loss because the importance of prolactin isn't emphasized enough. If prolactin isn't coming down, as seen in a lab test, it should't be long before vitamin E is flowing through the person's adipose tissue.

I would think that massaging with coffee and salycilic acid in alcohol would lower the prolactin, but I guess not. Definitely must try B6 which could benefit the skin as well. Measuring prolactin isn't that expensive, too.

D

dannyroddy

Such_Saturation said:
However I have been for the last year acting in the most rational way to minimize these elements, and I shed hair just as much as before.

What do you think is wrong?

D

dannyroddy

j. said:
Maybe the Peat program(*) sometimes doesn't seem to work for hair loss because the importance of prolactin isn't emphasized enough.

If you were to use an internet archive site, and search the last 10 articles I wrote for the word "prolactin," it would show up in 9 out of 10 of them.

j. said:
If prolactin isn't coming down, as seen in a lab test, it should't be long before vitamin E is flowing through the person's adipose tissue.

Not sure what you're talking about.

D

dannyroddy

fyo said:
Danny,Re "Bioenergetic View Email Series": If these 20 articles were available for people to link directly to, instead of being behind the email-signup, wouldn't that only increase popularity?

The site has become dramatically *less* popular as I've come to learn new things about how the organism functions. The entire concept of energy metabolism seems to turn a lot of people off. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think these ideas will ever be mainstream.

In contrast, books (or videos) tend to get the message across in a more coherent way.

fyo said:
I know some people who might glance over a single article upon recommendation, but would be disinclined to sign up for a email series they were unfamiliar with.

I'm o.k. with that. If my offer isn't compelling then have a nice day.

dannyroddy said:
Such_Saturation said:
However I have been for the last year acting in the most rational way to minimize these elements, and I shed hair just as much as before.

What do you think is wrong?

I think things like serotonin and prolactin take a long time to change, maybe even need some demethylation. And perhaps I have a little bit of calcification.

D

dannyroddy

Such_Saturation said:
I think things like serotonin and prolactin take a long time to change...

In the case of prolactin, things seem to move up and down quickly:

“Plasma prolactin decreased rapidly during, 1,25 (OH)2-D treatment, while it remained unchanged during the 3-months control period...A direct effect of 1,25 (OH)2-D on prolactin secretion may exist.”

Verbeelen D, Vanhaelst L, Van Steirteghem AC, Sennesael J. Effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 on plasma prolactin in patients with renal failure on regular dialysis treatment. J Endocrinol Invest. 1983 Oct;6(5):359-62.

*"In addition, it is one of the major hormonal signals that are immediately upregulated on psychoemotional and physical stress"*

Kerstin Foitzik, Ewan A Langan and Ralf Paus. Prolactin and the Skin: A Dermatological Perspective on an Ancient Pleiotropic Peptide Hormone. Journal of Investigative Dermatology (2009) 129, 1071–1087; doi:10.1038/jid.2008.348; published online 25 December 2008.

Kasper

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16401653/

I may have finally found add medication that is good for my hair (modafinil decreases prolactin)

Btw sad music increases prolactin in people that like sad music.

And if dopamine decreases prolactin, I wonder how the effects are of non diet things that make you feel motivated have on prolactin.

Well seeing as I have no 1,25 (OH)2-D on hand, I guess it won't be so easy. Hooray for summer.

Modafinil releases histamine in the brain, so maybe we are just stuck in sleep mode?

dannyroddy said:
The entire concept of energy metabolism seems to turn a lot of people off.

I've noticed this too, any ideas why this might be? Perhaps people are having an negative reaction due to equating this with the misuse of the word "energy" by new age spiritualism. If so, maybe it could be explained differently?

I think one thing that really illustrates the reality of energy metabolism, is photos and symptom lists of Myxedema patients from mainstream medicine. Myxedema is considered a rare condition, but it's phenotype is almost identical to the Metabolic Syndrome.