How Often Should We Get Sick?

Curt :-)

How frequently do healthy people tend to get sick?
Being hypo for 7 years or so, I literally didn't get sick once.
Since I started Peating about 8 months ago, I've been sick twice.
I have no doubt that Peating is improving my health since all other health markers are improving. But why am I getting sick now? I used to be famous for never having taken a sick day in so many years lol.

Thoughts & experiences?? xx

Curt :):

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Curt :-) said:
I have to doubt that Peating is improving my health since all other health markers are improving. But why am I getting sick now? I used to be famous for never having taken a sick day in so many years lol.

I'm interested in this topic too! What I'm most curious about is if people who have been following a Peat inspired approach for years notice a change over time as PUFA is decreased in the body. I've been at this about the same amount of time as you but I was sick constantly before and have experienced only a sinus infection and a stomach virus since starting peating. I attributed it to working around an unnaturally large number of sick people. I suppose it could be your immune system responding better these days? That is just speculation though. I would love to hear from those with more time on the approach to see what they have to say.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I suppose I should explain better what I was speculating about above. When I started that maybe your immune system could be getting stronger I know that initially doesn't seem to make sense if you are getting sick. I think sometimes when we are really debilitated our bodies just don't respond with things like fever and such the way it would in a state of health. I've witnessed it countless times and even experienced it for myself. Sometimes I think the healthier we are the more clear signals we receive that something is amiss. So maybe feeling sick is just your body giving you a clear message that something is wrong where before your body could have been distracted because of all the other things out of balance that it didn't have time to deal with another burden. That's just me thinking out loud. We do know part of aging and degeneration is a background of inflammation so it would seem reasonable to me if we reduce that background inflammation our body can mount a more appropriate response to any new threats. So what may seem bad may actually be a sign of healing. Maybe it is a more appropriate response but I do wonder how years of low PUFA and adequate environmental input from a Peat inspired approach might effect all of this.

Peata

I've had sinus/allergy issues pretty bad at times where it felt like I could be coming down with something, but it didn't develop into anything more. No cold or flu since starting Peat.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Peata for the great news!

OP
C

Curt :-)

@Blossom, I think you're onto something. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that never getting sick is actually a bad thing; that it means your body "cannot mount much of a defence", I think was the phrase used.
We all know that one vegan/vegetarian/raw food douche that boasts about never getting sick. Hmm...

Peata

My body tries to mount too much of a defense = allergies. With all that pollen blowing around outside, I had some bad days. Benadryl helped.

gretchen

2 years in to Peating, I'm still sick 2-3 times a year. It likely has to do with vit D.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
paper_clips43 said:
Haven't been sick in two and a half years :/
Almost wish I would...
How long have you been following a Peat inspired approach? I'm sure if you came to work with me for a day or two you would probably get sick. The important thing is that your body can respond appropriately if it needs to and maybe you just haven't needed to fight off anything. I'm happy for you that you haven't been sick for 2 1/2 years! I can't wait until that happens for me. :D

paper_clips43

Well I have had a sinus infection for a year now and that is why I think its a bad thing I do not get sick.

Where do you work?

Been following Peat approach 3 1/2 months now very strict.

juanitacarlos

Curt :-) said:
I have no doubt that Peating is improving my health since all other health markers are improving. But why am I getting sick now? I used to be famous for never having taken a sick day in so many years lol.

Curt - I was undiagnosed hypothyroid for 5+ years (in my 30s - but it was probably longer) with eventual thyroid cancer and I hardly ever got sick during that period. I remember working in a very small office with 5 other people who all got sick from this virus that was passed around and I was the only one who didn't. People actually commented on it that I never seemed to catch anything. Like you, never needed sick days much (except for hangovers or mental health days).

In the past few years, since going on thyroid meds, I have been sick with colds, the flu, bugs etc on a regular basis. But my health is improving and my hypo symptoms have reduced as well. I do think there is a correlation and it is probably not great that someone who is unwell (hypo) doesn't get sick. Or is it? I'm not sure.

Digressing somewhat....I remember Peat saying something about hypo people slow down that even the aging process is slowed. I wonder if there is some link with not getting sick? It's late and I can't think straight - but you've raised an interesting question.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
paper_clips43 said:
Well I have had a sinus infection for a year now and that is why I think its a bad thing I do not get sick.

Where do you work?

I work at a hospital/rehab facility. Have you tried minocycline? Once the infection is clear nasal saline wash like the netti pot is supposed to be a good preventative along with your new improved metabolism!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
paper_clips43 said:

Where do you work?

I work at a hospital/rehab facility. Have you tried minocycline? Once the infection is clear nasal saline wash like the netti pot is supposed to be a good preventative along with you new improved metabolism!
That sounds pretty typical of sinus infections. The ones I've experienced seem pretty low grade and lingering. I'm wondering if this could be similar to my Candida in the beginning. Possibly if you use some minocyline it could take away enough of a stress/burden on your system that it could more easily heal.

paper_clips43

Blossom said:
paper_clips43 said:

Where do you work?

I work at a hospital/rehab facility. Have you tried minocycline? Once the infection is clear nasal saline wash like the netti pot is supposed to be a good preventative along with your new improved metabolism!

I haven't tried it yet. Its next on my list and I have been about to order it for a few weeks now but I keep putting it off. Is tetracycline ok as well? or do you think mino would be best?

Side note: I was on heavy antibiotics like doxy when I was younger for acne. Does that matter?
I haven't had any kind of antibiotic in about 7 years though...

EDIT: Also used to do lots of neti pot but didn't see a difference although will perform it for preventative measures once I am cleared of the infection. Thanks!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I thought Peat had mentioned all the cycline antibiotics worked pretty much in the same direction but I do not have a source so will gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong. If you haven't taken an antibiotic for years taking some now shouldn't be an issue even if you took them a lot when you were younger. It seems perfectly reasonable to use one now to help get rid of a lingering infection.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Low metabolic rate causes "sinus infection".

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
Low metabolic rate causes "sinus infection".
I think low metabolic rate causes just about everything. I know it was the cause of my 'candida' but it was still sure nice to have flowers of sulfur handy until I could get my metabolism cranking! Ray Peat right again!

Peata

Wait, so we want to get sick, it's a good thing? Is this partly because it raises body temperature and a higher temp from the illness might "stick"?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The true goal for me is to have a good enough metabolism that I'm not getting sick at every turn. If I'm exposed to a particularly nasty bug I'm hopeful my metabolism will serve me well by quickly and efficiently correcting the problem. I see two issues at play regarding getting sick at least from my own personal experience. One is where I have been too impaired to adequately deal with the situation and the other is a more appropriate response since I've been in a better metabolic state. I'm still curious as to how this all may change after a longer time following a Peat inspired approach. Ideally I suppose it would be great to never get sick but in the world we live in I think it is realistic to expect we will be exposed to germs that we need to respond to and that's where I think being 'sick' for a couple days is usually a good sign.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals