Full hydrogenation of fats- no trans fat but is it bad?

freal

I am confused, some company said that their coconut oil is fully hydrogenation and has no trans fats, can that even be. So what is the product of full hydrogenation, what happens to the fats in coconut when you hydrogenate it. So saturated fat cannot be hydrogenated, what happens to the 1% polynsaturated fat and 7% moninsaturated fat in coconut oil when you fully hydrogenate it?

Is fully hyrogenated coconut oil bad?

Blinkyrocket

Idk why nobody has replied to this o_O but I have no idea. Maybe, trans fats might be another misunderstood fat since trans fats are actually present in beef, and also since the LDL cholesterol and all cholesterol are actually not bad, cholesterol is how your body makes its hormones, specifically the LDL, that being said food fried in canola oil is most certainly not healthy :P

burtlancast

Hydrogenation creates trans fats.
There has to be trans fats thus in this coconut oil, even though they claim the contrary.

I've read many studies showing virgin coconut oil ( not hydrogenated, thus still containing poly and mono unsaturated)) lowers slightly cholesterol in humans, whereas hydrogenated coconut oil always contains some trans fats and always increases cholesterol.

Ray's article on coconut oil is kind of sloppy, and doesn't cite any scientific studies.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml

But how can there be double bonds left if it is fully hydrogenated?

burtlancast

Such_Saturation said:
But how can there be double bonds left if it is fully hydrogenated?

Looking closely at the hydrogenation process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat) , it seems i spoke too soon: total hydrogenation removes all unsaturated bonds ( cis and trans), while partial hydrogenation ( leaving some unsaturated bonds, for the sake of keeping a little fluidity in the oil) is the one causing trans fats.
:!:

When a coconut oil brand uses total hydrogenation, their oil shouldn't contain any polyinstaurated or monounsaturated fatty acids ( and thus no cis or trans fats). Everything is entirely saturated.

It would be interesting to know if some coconut oil merchants use partial hydrogenation, and what are their motives.

BobbyDukes

Blinkyrocket said:
Idk why nobody has replied to this o_O but I have no idea. Maybe, trans fats might be another misunderstood fat since trans fats are actually present in beef, and also since the LDL cholesterol and all cholesterol are actually not bad, cholesterol is how your body makes its hormones, specifically the LDL, that being said food fried in canola oil is most certainly not healthy :P

Why would they put trans fats in beef? There isn't enough fat in beef already? Are you talking about beef in a factory that gets mixed with all kinds of filth and is then sold as an end product that is probably 20% beef? But then, why would they need to put trans fats in something that is already soaked in fat?

BobbyDukes

Blinkyrocket, as far as I am aware, trans fats are man made fats. What I have always read is that they cause significant problems at a cellular level. Your body doesn't know what to do with them. They get stored and cause havoc. Surely, this isn't going to be the latest thing that Peat is telling me is healthy! Other than the gluten/starch, doughnuts may be healthy, after all. Haha. I'm not sure, though. I've never seen comments he might have made about the subject.

BobbyDukes said:
Such_Saturation said:
Because they occur naturally?

Do they? Well, that is something I have learnt. I need to do more reading on trans fats, obviously.

I think Ray Peat has talked about natural trans fat, claiming it can be protective.

BobbyDukes

Such_Saturation said:
BobbyDukes said:
Such_Saturation said:

Do they? Well, that is something I have learnt. I need to do more reading on trans fats, obviously.

I think Ray Peat has talked about natural trans fat, claiming it can be protective.

I see, thanks. I never knew they could exist naturally, so will do some more reading on it.

schultz

BobbyDukes said:
Such_Saturation said:

Ruminant animals have bacteria in their rumen that turn unsaturated fat into saturated fat. It's called biohydrogenation. Some of the fat is not completely turned into saturated fat and is left as cis or trans fat. Things like conjugated linoleic acid which has been shown to have some positive benefits. This is why beef is so low in PUFA even though cows live entirely off of plant foods. Truly a magical animal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

Blinkyrocket

Yes, it occurs naturally and that was the trans fat I was advocating, since our bodies hydrogenated fats too don't they? Idk, but, if a donut is fried in canola oil it's not healthy :P although, I'm not so sure it would be because of the trans fat specifically but the PUFA, there are probably different types of trans fats, but the naturally occurring stuff in beef is probably not bad.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals