Niacinamide Is Both A Serotonin And Tryptophan Antagonist

haidut

Forum Supporter
I know this was discussed to a degree in another thread, but this study goes a bit further claiming that as being one of neurokynurenines niacin / niacinamide antagonizes the effects in the brain of both serotonin precursors and serotonin itself.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15206724

"...The following NEKY have been studied: 1-kynurenine (KYN), 3-hydroxyKYN (3HKYN), kynurenic (KYNA), anthranilic (ANT), 3-hydroxyANT (3HANT), quinolinic (QUIN), picolinic (PICA), xanthurenic (XAN), nicotinic (NIC) acids, 3-indole-pyruvate (IPA), nicotinamide (NAM). NEKY antagonize the central effects of precursors of serotonin (tryptophan and 5-HTP), and tryptamine as well."

So maybe taking some niacinamide with large meat meals would be a good method of mitigating the tryptophan damage, similar to the recommendation from Peat to eat gelatin with the meat.

Vinero

How is 100 mg Nicotinamide excessive? We are talking about pharmacological doses here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pboy

maybe niacin is a neurotransmitter stimulator, but if you exceed your methyl capactity the body is forced to produce less neurotransmitter. That's probably why small dose niacin increases catecholamine, because the body still can handle it methyl wise, but once you exceed or deplete your methyl supply, the catecholamine level has to drop cause it cant be supported anymore

to really control what you wanted at the time...it would take a maters precision of a dose...im pretty sure with niacin going way over can be sedating

Suikerbuik

From the study:

This study found that nicotinamide load reduced the
methyl-group pool associated with increases in plasma
serotonin and histamine levels. The present findings,
together with earlier results showing that nicotinamide
load increased plasma norepinephrine but decreased its
methylated derivatives[7], suggest that excessive
nicotinamide could inhibit the degradation of monoamine
neurotransmitters presumably due to methyl-group pool
depletion

Dopamine

Haidut, I think this link settle the point:

Excess nicotinamide increases plasma serotonin and histamine levels.
Excess nicotinamide increases plasma serotonin and histamine levels. - PubMed - NCBI

One of those rare studies performed on actual humans, not mice.

From what I understand this study was performed after overnight fasting ie probaly 10+ hours without food... Niacinamide helps impair lipolysis and encourages the oxidation of glucose. If there is no glucose available (as in a fasted state) then niacinamide could potentially cause a stress reaction. Headache, watery eyes etc... I have gotten this when I push my dosage too high too quickly and/or don't provide enough sugar.

lampofred

Peat has said niacinamide is very different from nicotinamide and that only the niacinamide form is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom