Let's Nail This White Hair Thing

mamaherrera

I come to you all because you are so smart. I had mentioned I've been seeing an increase in white hair these last two months. I've been prematurely graying since 29, but it's upped. Now taking a deeper look, I've been increasing more than I thought. I've read in many places that usually it's hormone imbalance/and or vitamin deficiency that causes this. Does anyone know which vitamin deficiencies and hormone imbalances cause this?? What if I'm lacking iron and I know you are all against iron, but I've read iron is one cause and I am breastfeeding, so could I be low?? If I go to the doc, (although they just say white hair is normal, they won't want to test for any nutritional deficiencies, which makes it hard for me to get a lab rec (why do docs blow off things like this) what nutrients would I test for?? Although there are studies that having hydrogen peroxide build up at the follicle, is another cause but that it also causes hair thinning (which I think is not true. many people get white hair at an early age, but not thinning, I mean I don't think they always have to go hand in hand) but what things in diet would help lower hydrogen peroxide build up in hair follicles. I think this is all interesting and I"d like to be an experiment for all and see if I can stop this "graying" going on in my head before it's too late. I'm only 33!! :oops:

tara

Copper deficiency? Stress and energy deficit, including all the nutrients needed to burn fuel?
I started greying late twenties too, and mostly white now (late 40s). Not losing hair.

OP
M

mamaherrera

Is yours genetic though?? I mean did your mom/sisters start at that age? What is bugging me is that I'm advancing faster and at a younger age than my sister. Being on Peat diet, have you reverse your graying at all or slowed it down?? Is this diet good for promoting melanin production??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My 23 year old daughter recently had her hair colored grey and it looks great! I've noticed quite a few twenty something's coloring their hair grey lately. I'm considering letting my natural grey grow in since it is an inconvenience to keep coloring it. It would be one less thing to worry about. I'm 44 and 50% grey naturally but I'm happier and healthier than ever! I know it doesn't solve your grey hair dilemma but thought you might be surprised that some people are going out of their way to get grey hair!

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks for sharing. . . . but my thing is if it's a representation of bad health or lack of vitamins, etc. I would like to stop it or fix it, before I completely go white at age 33. It's just sped up lately, four months after the baby, I don't know if I'm lacking iron or something is out of balance.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks for sharing. . . . but my thing is if it's a representation of bad health or lack of vitamins, etc. I would like to stop it or fix it, before I completely go white at age 33. It's just sped up lately, four months after the baby, I don't know if I'm lacking iron or something is out of balance.
It seems from your other posts you are doing all the things that would result in the greying process slowing down. Mine has stopped worsening from eating according to the general dietary guidelines. I don't think the grey I have will return to brown but that's ok. You have been through a lot recently but it seems like you are on track with your current approach. I'm leaning toward eating enough nutrient dense food to provide for you and your baby as being the most crucial thing you can do. It takes a month or two for what you are doing now to become apparent as the hair underneath emerges. So what your seeing come through today is reflecting more what was going on a month or two ago. I think what's most important is how you feel now and just trying not to stress over a few grey hairs. Even RP has some grey!

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, oh and one question. Often times I'm at a loss of what carbs to eat, to get nutrient/calorie dense solid foods. Because fruit is greatm, but not calorie laden, and 'm trying to avoid starches, but I need to get some high calories in me, particularly in the morning, and when I eat my eggs, I just don't know what other solids to eat with it besides fruit. And I don't want to overdo liquids

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks, oh and one question. Often times I'm at a loss of what carbs to eat, to get nutrient/calorie dense solid foods. Because fruit is greatm, but not calorie laden, and 'm trying to avoid starches, but I need to get some high calories in me, particularly in the morning, and when I eat my eggs, I just don't know what other solids to eat with it besides fruit. And I don't want to overdo liquids
Sometimes I have a couple tablespoons of honey when I don't feel like fluids. I typically add honey to Greek yogurt and rinsed cottage cheese as well. I'm sure others have additional suggestions but honey seems decent as far as getting in some additional carbs and calories when not drinking fruit juice. Adding sugar to milk is an easy way to up the carbs too!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Organic applesauce from a glass jar work for me personally. I always add sugar or honey to it if it's unsweetened.

OP
M

mamaherrera

applesauce more because I want nutrient dense, not just sugar. I know how to up the carbs, but I am struggling with getting nutrients with so many things not allowed in the diet.

tara

mamaherrera said:
Is yours genetic though?? I mean did your mom/sisters start at that age? What is bugging me is that I'm advancing faster and at a younger age than my sister. Being on Peat diet, have you reverse your graying at all or slowed it down?? Is this diet good for promoting melanin production??

Father early grey. Could be genetic, or could be inherited low metabolism and unhelpful eating habits, and inherited stress patterns. Mine has not reversed. Bt then I haven't reversed my majot health issue either yet.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks for sharing. I think mine is the terrible stress patterns. What were your bad eating habits???

OP
M

mamaherrera

and that is very true, the month before I got this major increase and I was eating tons of egg whites. At night, I was eating egg whites with fat only, no carbs. Even if I can't reverse them, if I can slow them down. But I do like to eat my red meat to get iron (as I"m breastfeeding and need iron) so I guess the biggest things to help balance out tryptophan in meat/eggs is to have gelatin with each meal. Now I'm trying this week with no gelatin,because something made me bloat and I want to make sure it isn't the hydrolyzed gelatin. If it turns out to be that, what else can I do to balance out my meat/eggs, that is my main concern there??? And of the diet, what are the main things to help lower the serotonin level,

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
and that is very true, the month before I got this major increase and I was eating tons of egg whites. At night, I was eating egg whites with fat only, no carbs. Even if I can't reverse them, if I can slow them down. But I do like to eat my red meat to get iron (as I"m breastfeeding and need iron) so I guess the biggest things to help balance out tryptophan in meat/eggs is to have gelatin with each meal. Now I'm trying this week with no gelatin,because something made me bloat and I want to make sure it isn't the hydrolyzed gelatin. If it turns out to be that, what else can I do to balance out my meat/eggs, that is my main concern there??? And of the diet, what are the main things to help lower the serotonin level,
I have used BCAA with protein meals. I'm not sure if that would be a problem with breastfeeding though?

OP
M

mamaherrera

yeah I'm not sure either, hopefully it's not the gelatin, I think it might have been two bananas in one day, in a couple days, I"ll try the gelatin again, and hopefully it'll work. But how much gelatin per day is too much?? I should have it with eggs and meat, right?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
yeah I'm not sure either, hopefully it's not the gelatin, I think it might have been two bananas in one day, in a couple days, I"ll try the gelatin again, and hopefully it'll work. But how much gelatin per day is too much?? I should have it with eggs and meat, right?
I usually have 1-2 tablespoons with my muscle meat meals and additionally maybe 1 tablespoon in my coffee in the morning. I'm sure others have gelatin in different ways.

OP
M

mamaherrera

thanks, so maybe try to get in 3-4 TBSPS per day, if it's handled well. are you pretty consistent in digesting it properly always?? OR does it sometimes give you problems/?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks, so maybe try to get in 3-4 TBSPS per day, if it's handled well. are you pretty consistent in digesting it properly always?? OR does it sometimes give you problems/?
I've never had one problem after switching to the Great Lakes green can.

BingDing

Sugar, starch and fiber are the only carbs that exist, sugar and starch are the only carbs we can digest, and sugar is the least problematic. The sucrose in table sugar is the same as the sucrose in fruit, so don't be afraid to use it. The knock on table sugar is in the context of a total crap diet, where people go days without eating anything that's actually nutritious. Even a vaguely honest effort to follow Peat's way will provide balance and nutrients, and a cup of table sugar per day can be totally healthy.

I hit a stretch where I was keen to get most of my protein from gelatin and found a quote from Peat that either 60g or 80g/day was fine. Note this only applies to adults, children need tryptophan and some other amino acids that adults don't need. So you can hardly overdo it.

That stretch didn't last long and I agree milk + gelatin and meat + gelatin is a good approach. I think all we can do about tryptophan is try and manage it's negative effects.

The other thing about protein is it should be used with carbs, i.e. sugar. Peat says this prevents a drop in blood sugar and an insulin rush. I've also read that without carbs the body will just use the protein for energy, that is convert it to glucose to make ATP, and can cause a rise in cortisol. I believe both of those are true but anyone should make up their own mind.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals