Stress Effects Are Inherited Up To 3 Generations Later

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study in this case looked at starvation, which is a very common example of chronic stress in Peat-land.

http://newsroom.cumc.columbia.edu/blog/ ... inherited/

"...Evidence from human famines and animal studies suggests that starvation can affect the health of descendants of famished individuals. But how such an acquired trait might be transmitted from one generation to the next has not been clear. A new study, involving roundworms, shows that starvation induces specific changes in so-called small RNAs and that these changes are inherited through at least three consecutive generations, apparently without any DNA involvement. The study, conducted by Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) researchers, offers intriguing new evidence that the biology of inheritance is more complicated than previously thought."

Suikerbuik

From the same article.
“We have not shown that the starvation-induced small RNAs were responsible for the increased longevity—it’s just a correlation,” said Dr. Hobert. “But it’s possible that these small RNAs provided a means for the worms to control the expression of relevant genes in later generations.”

I didn't see the full text. How long after the 6 day starvation did they let the worms get offsprings? Also how long does it take for worms to get sexually mature?
Biology has indeed many (more) secrets, but I don't know how these findings apply to humans yet. How long does it take for siRNAs to be degraged on average?? (so not taking a specific siRNA or specific cell types into account)

pboy

could it be that the new young receive weak or faulty signals from the injured/sick parent, and therefore create an understanding of the world and communication in an off strange way, and don't develop to their full potential? Im almost 100% certain anything so called 'genetic' is actually just because people live, think, eat, are around and see the world the same way, speak the same language, subjected to the same input, as their parents. The only thing that's probably pure genetic is hair and eye color...even size I think its environment and nutrition based. If people are not stimulated to their potential, they will not only never realize it, they might not even know that they could...or how sub par or off their reality really is. Anything one man does another can. Anything one man has ever done another can. If you can really get to the core of it...the holistic mutable dynamic understanding of how peoples mental programs effect their entire physiology and outcomes, situations in life....the changes ive witnessed within myself and all the tying ins, relating experiences, and reunderstanding, better understanding, initial vibes, has produced changes in myself, not only physical but so much more, everything you could imagine in life, that previously I never would have even thought possible or that was related...it turns out, every little subtle detail is related to everything else

jyb

pboy said:
Im almost 100% certain anything so called 'genetic' is actually just because people live, think, eat, are around and see the world the same way, speak the same language, subjected to the same input, as their parents. The only thing that's probably pure genetic is hair and eye color...even size I think its environment and nutrition based

While I agree with you that a lot more can be changed than commonly thought, there are a few pretty big things which might be definitely acquired from birth, or very difficult to change.

One is the tendency for some to gain weight very easily, or on the contrary to stay slim no matter what. Whatever the metabolism, food intake, state of mind...that tendency is extremely strong. This relates to Ben's hypothesis about people being either hyper or hypo methylators.

Things like baldness also seems like a very strong tendency. Some people can be hypothyroid live a stressed life yet keep their hair in place until old age. Other in average conditions start loss in their teens. Sure, those ones might prevent or slow down the loss, some succeed, but if you look at the Peat forums its not straightforward at all - some haven't succeeded. I'm more inclined to believe that hair color is metabolic related, however.

Gl;itch.e

pboy said:
The only thing that's probably pure genetic is hair and eye color...even size I think its environment and nutrition based.
how come I've got green/hazel coloured eyes and both mum and dad have blue? Oh and so do their parents. LOL. Genes!

Back
Top Bottom