Cinnamon May Help SIBO

haidut

Forum Supporter
Cinnamon has been promoted in alternative health circles for helping keep SIBO under control, and it appears there is some truth behind the claims. According to this study, in very low concentrations (easily achievable with food/supplements) cinnamon killed most bacteria associated with food poisoning and severe enteritis within 24 hours.
If you are supplementing cinnamon, remember to use either the Ceylon variety or the one mention in this study, since the common cinnamon sold as spice contains several carcinogens (coumarin being one of them).

https://news.wsu.edu/2014/07/16/prevent ... 8wMnrGAfIW
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3514003235

"...In the study, the essential oil killed several strains of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (E. coli), known to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as “non-O157 STEC.” The study looked at the top six strains of non-O157 STEC, said co-author Lina Sheng, a graduate student in the School of Food Science. The cinnamon cassia oil is effective in low concentrations, she said – about 10 drops diluted in a liter of water killed the bacteria within 24 hours."

According to the actual study the main active component of cinnamon was cinnamaldehyde. On a similar note, SIBO sufferers often report that drinking alcohol dramatically improves their symptoms, only to have those symptoms return in a day or two. Given that alcohol is metabolized to acetaldehyde as an intermediary step, I wonder if this is behind the effects of alcohol on SIBO. Then, once the alcohol and acetaldehyde are cleared out of the system, symptoms return again. Of course, it could also be alcohol killing the bacteria itself but I doubt high enough blood concentrations can be reached for this to happen.

Milklove

I was aware of the antibacterial effects of cinnamon and tried it for SIBO quite some time ago. Unfortunately I used the regular cinnamon und it gave me an upset stomach, but I did improve the SIBO situation.

Oh, and when I had SIBO alcohol really improved my health, but it lasted only for one day. So, this is in accordance to what you wrote.

jyb

Milklove said:
I was aware of the antibacterial effects of cinnamon and tried it for SIBO quite some time ago. Unfortunately I used the regular cinnamon und it gave me an upset stomach, but I did improve the SIBO situation.

Oh, and when I had SIBO alcohol really improved my health, but it lasted only for one day. So, this is in accordance to what you wrote.

How did you get rid of SIBO? Just curious, never had it...

Milklove

I tried a lot. Tetracycline, oregano oil, lots of coconut oil, cinnamon and much more. In the end most of them relieved the symptoms, but the most important thing was raising my metabolism.

BingDing

Thanks, haidut. A bit of looking around says the C. cassia species used in the study is Chinese cinnamon, which is the common supermarket cinnamon and has coumarin. Ceylon cinnamon is C. vernum and has much less coumarin. Presumably they both have the SIBO reducing property. See Wiki and this.

Hmm, Ceylon custard might be a good way to try it.

Would this work in the large intestine? I spent ten days eating gluten and now my appendix hurts.

pboy

heres what you do guys. You get a bunch of cinnamon sticks and thread them around a twine , then shove it up your **** with water

it will surely rid you of this terrible seebo demon that haunts you

pboy said:
heres what you do guys. You get a bunch of cinnamon sticks and thread them around a twine , then shove it up your **** with water

That's honestly not nice, making me laugh so hard when I'm in such pain :mrgreen: off to the hospital I go.

4peatssake

pboy said:

:rolling

Antonello

@haidut I saw in the Parkinson’s thread you tried yourself cinnamon, can you please share what dosage you used and for which illness? Also for SIBO there isn’t specified any dosage, times a day, before/after food please can you give us more info? Thanks a lot

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I saw in the Parkinson’s thread you tried yourself cinnamon, can you please share what dosage you used and for which illness? Also for SIBO there isn’t specified any dosage, times a day, before/after food please can you give us more info? Thanks a lot

I never said I took it for a disease, only for controlling ammonia after large protein meal. The dose are mentioned in that threda of ceylon cinnamon for parkinson, and the study above mentions doses of cinnamon oil. Look at the underlined/bolded text.

Antonello

I never said I took it for a disease, only for controlling ammonia after large protein meal. The dose are mentioned in that threda of ceylon cinnamon for parkinson, and the study above mentions doses of cinnamon oil. Look at the underlined/bolded text.
Yep I saw it thanks. For SIBO do you think the 500mg dose is fairly enough?

InChristAlone

True cinnamon is amazing. It is one thing I need to do everyday. Usually in applesauce.

vulture

Sometimes I have some cinnamon in my mouth when I go work, it keeps your breath great and it's like having a gum.

InChristAlone

True cinn. is Ceylon. I felt toxic with regular cinn. at the store. Especially when it's in abundance like cinnamon bread.

Flash

@haidut Are these views of cinnamon still up to date? Do you think it would it be safe to consume small amounts of cinnamon daily?

cs3000

A downside is cinnamon harms immunity , unfortunate because it has some nice effects otherwise

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals