Getting Ripped With Dr Peat

Curt :-)

Alrighty you scallywags, let's do this thing.

How does one get ripped while Peating? I know there's a few incognito gym junkies on the forum (myself being one of them) so let's start spitballing ideas and experiences.
I want to know exactly how to do this. I know it can be done, and I think it can be done with minimal interference with metabolism.
I'm thinking we could swap stats (body fat percentage, etc) or even photos if y'all are cool with that.

Gl;itch.e

Also "in" (;

Though I think we'd probably have to have some realistic expectations of what we can hope to achieve using a healthy approach, since fatloss and extreme leanness aren't exactly healthy long term.

Personally I suspect that a moderate caloric deficit coupled with a moderate carb, protein and perhaps lowered fat intake would be the way to do this in a peatish way. Perhaps "cycling" carbs/calories up around training and slightly lower on off days.

Peat has also mentioned numerous times the importance of the minerals sodium, calcium etc to prevent excessive muscle loss in dieting. So with reduced food intake it may be advantageous to "supplement" with extra minerals. Salt in coffee's/drinks and even calcium, magnesium powders.

Type of exercise IMO would have to focus on resistance training with big exercises using lower reps/higher rest periods to avoid extreme lactic acid build up. Of course some higher rep stuff done sparringly with smaller exercises (isolation type work, curls etc) wouldnt kill you but shouldnt be the bulk of the work.

Since we're sharing ;) Coming from a no-carb ketogenic background, I've been amazed at the amount of muscle gained on RP's model, currently standing at an impressive 16% of bodyweight (145 lbs. to 175 lbs.).

How? Many small meals of nonfat milk with a sucrose/fructose combo, gelatin, salt, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid extract, and a pregnenelone/progesterone combo.

And then supplemented every day with OJ, a tablespoon of coconut/MCT oil combo, and a few ounces of liver; once a week with a few oysters; and as needed with activated charcoal, cascara, lisuride or a small bloodletting.

RP's simple secret seems to be that these same rituals of food have been almost sacred in traditional life for thousands of years, and now, we need only cherish them in our own life's ritual.

This shouldn't be all that surprising when you think of the training regimen for Olympic swimmers, who religiously consume 12,000 calories a day. The amazing thing here is that RP's muscle gain comes not from any new or better exercise, but simply by undoing the ravages of the ketogenic diet, and with even less exercise than before.

Of course, everything else seems to feel better, too. Sleep, motivation, creativity and caring. I only wish more folks could share in RP's wisdom. Dude is just amazing.

Milklove

First of all, I agree with everything what visionofstrenght wrote. Many people underestimate the effect of many small meals on body composition.

Well, I am not a gym junkie, but since I nonetheless got an athletic body I think I am eligible to share. A few months after I first read one of Peat's articles I stopped to workout regularly. Now I only workout like once a week, but I gained quite a few pounds of muscles since then.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4099&hilit=muscle
This really works for me. I can feel/ see a difference between consuming 100g or 200g of protein. Increased protein intake seems to greatly increase proteinsynthesis. BTW, my main protein source is low fat cheese.

Then I used a few supplements to increase my testosterone levels and got it nearly as high as haidut got his once (The Libido thread). I experienced better regeneration when I worked out, but didn't recognize any significant effects on my body composition.

Whenever someone is losing weight lipolysis is obviously involved, so taking vitamin E would be nice. According to Ray tocopherols can saturate the liberated fatty acids in your bloostream.

BingDing

I'll join the geezer league, LOL.

There is a post here from forum member Cliff that is on point.

Charlie mentioned a 5/3/1 program once, that got good results with the least time. A brief search didn't turn it up but it's somewhere.

I started lifting again yesterday, after reading the final line of the excellent article Fats, functions & malfunctions

In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats.

[I think it is obvious that "relatively" means relative to one's own body without exercise, not relative to others' bodies.]

Edit to add a link to a thread about carnosine and lactic acid build up: Beta-Alanine, Carnosine, Lactate and Histamine.

OP
C

Wicked. I'm keen to get started

I'm going to start by increasing protein intake above what I feel I need, while training most days but to a lesser intensity. I think the stress response from training probably largely from lowered blood sugar so I'll carb up good and proper pre and post WO.
I'm also going to sauna once a week.

IMHO, bro, protein AND sugar, way, way, way above what you think you need. Not any protein, but milk (or farmer's cheese). Not any sugar, but sucrose + fructose combo (and never glucose or starch alone).

If you really must train, try "eustress": focus on the muscle contraction that does work, and avoid the isometric extension that opposes resistance. RP says it's like a heartbeat: contract, relax, contract, relax. The heart never gets tired of beating!

Feel the burn? NOT! That burning sensation means you're building up lactic acid in your muscles, which RP thinks is a primary metabolic poison.

As a self-governing mechanism to keep me from over-training, I try to emulate altitude by breathing 5-7% CO2 in a mask. This seems to prevent the burning sensation that means I'm poisoning myself.

Gl;itch.e

visionofstrength said:
If you really must train, try "eustress": focus on the muscle contraction that does work, and avoid the isometric extension that opposes resistance. RP says it's like a heartbeat: contract, relax, contract, relax. The heart never gets tired of beating!
Well I dont think its possible to effectively exercise without doing some isometric and eccentric work. But I defintely agree that it shouldnt be something you focus on or use excessively. A relatively quick eccentric and explosive concentric is best for activating the most muscle fibres.

Theres a million ways to skin a cat. Where you might traditionally do 3 sets of 10+ reps and end up with that burning, lactic acid build up you could just as effectively (perhaps even better) train the muscles by reversing the sets and reps. 10 sets of 3 with the same weight equals the same volume of work done but often with more force production/fibre recruitment and less metabolic build up.

OP
C

@Glitch, good call man.
Speaking of skinning cats, my preferred mode of training is gymnastics. Okay, it's stressful, but so is a lot of things. I think sound pre and post WO nutrition, plenty of rest between sets, and keeping volume moderate will keep most of the resultant stress under control. I really don't think strength training has to be a stressful practice; I simply does not take that much intensity to gain mass.

On another note, what do you guys know about holding water?

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
How? Many small meals of nonfat milk with a sucrose/fructose combo, gelatin, salt, aspirin, caffeine, thyroid extract, and a pregnenelone/progesterone combo.

And then supplemented every day with OJ, a tablespoon of coconut/MCT oil combo, and a few ounces of liver; once a week with a few oysters; and as needed with activated charcoal, cascara, lisuride or a small bloodletting.

I think this is basically the diet - high fruit sugars, no starches, low fat around 40-50g per day, liver/shellfish/white fish/some red meat, higher calories on workout days.

It's very easy to overeat fat with cheese/milk/butter/coconut oil etc.

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
As a self-governing mechanism to keep me from over-training, I try to emulate altitude by breathing 5-7% CO2 in a mask. This seems to prevent the burning sensation that means I'm poisoning myself.

WUUUUUUT?!

How do you do this?

dd99

visionofstrength said:
This shouldn't be all that surprising when you think of the training regimen for Olympic swimmers, who religiously consume 12,000 calories a day.
I vaguely recall reading that swimmers and surfers burn more calories because of heat loss in water and that other athletes are between 3000 and 6000 kcal, depending on sport. Doesn't take away from your argument, though!

dd99

BingDing said:
Charlie mentioned a 5/3/1 program once, that got good results with the least time. A brief search didn't turn it up but it's somewhere.
I did Wendler's 531 program for about 6 months. It's good - especially if you enjoy spreadsheets. But it has far too much volume for my liking.

Before that, I did Martin Berkhan's reverse pyramid training for about a year. I also found that a bit too taxing, as I put so much into the top set that I was exhausted for the drop down set(s).

Then I discovered Clarence Bass. In his workout, you basically go all out (just short of failure) on one set just once a week, then forget about that exercise for two weeks. One week, you do squats, presses, rows, biceps and hang raises; the next week, you do deadlifts, bench, chin-ups, triceps and planks. He also advocates altering your rep range frequently: 8/12/20 reps. Oh, and once a week you do a sprint session. Just all out for 5-7 rounds.

I followed Bass' program for about a year. I have never been stronger: deadlift increased to above 2x my bodyweight and squats to around 1.5x. I got stuck on presses at about 0.75x, though, and chin-ups at 8 reps at bodyweight plus 5kg.

Unfortunately for me, as we're moving to a smaller house, I've had to sell my gym equipment (but it was a great investment - bought it all 7 years ago and sold it for more than I paid originally!). I'm going to start doing double kettlebell workouts (squats, lunges, swings, snatches, get ups, renegade rows, clean and press) and chin-ups. EDIT: not high rep, lactic-acid inducing workouts, though - I'll do low reps, maybe multiple sets.

During my Leangains years, I did the whole carb cycling thing. Low carb on rest days and high carb after workouts. What if we Peatified carb cycling and went low starch on rest days (but high sugars) and add in starches on days you train?

aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:

WUUUUUUT?!

How do you do this?

I use a paintball canister in a holster, attached to an aquarium flowmeter by an adapter, and a cannula inside any style mask you prefer. It costs a little more than $100.

It's very comfortable and mobile, and you can adjust the flow of CO2 depending on the level of exertion or altitude you want. The higher the CO2 level the higher the altitude that you emulate (via the Haldane effect). PM me if you want the Amazon links to the various products.

BingDing

Cool, dd99, Clarence Bass is obviously a genius -:). Do you do all the week's exercises on one day or split them up? I think one per day would be good for me.

Thx

dd99

BingDing said:
Cool, dd99, Clarence Bass is obviously a genius -:). Do you do all the week's exercises on one day or split them up? I think one per day would be good for me.
BingDing, yeah, Bass is exceptional. I think his training methodology would work well in a Peat lifestyle: one or two very brief (albeit intense) sessions each week and the remaining days are spent resting and/or walking. It's a shame his dietary views are so divergent. He basically recommends a calorie-controlled SAD diet. But, to his credit, he says:
Clarence Bass said:
I would never blindly follow anyone else's diet or training regimen, and I don't expect anyone to blindly follow mine. That's why I always try to explain not only "how" I eat or train, but "why" as well. That's so readers can understand and evaluate my methods, weigh my advice. I expect you to take what rings true, makes sense - most of it, hopefully - and adapt it to your special situation. Leave the rest.
If you haven't read any of his books, he provides the best overview of his training beliefs in Challenge Yourself.

Sorry - off tangent there. Coming back to your question, I did the week's exercises on one day. Only having to train one day a week is liberating: if you're not feeling up to it or have something on, just do it another day. I did also do the sprint session most week, usually a couple of days after the weights session, so I would have a few days to recover fully.

superhuman

I agree Clarence Bass is really cool/good. The only problem i have is that i havent seen anyone following his training advice gotten great results in terms of physique development.

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
aquaman said:
visionofstrength said:

WUUUUUUT?!

How do you do this?

I use a paintball canister in a holster, attached to an aquarium flowmeter by an adapter, and a cannula inside any style mask you prefer. It costs a little more than $100.

It's very comfortable and mobile, and you can adjust the flow of CO2 depending on the level of exertion or altitude you want. The higher the CO2 level the higher the altitude that you emulate (via the Haldane effect). PM me if you want the Amazon links to the various products.

Awesome.

I don't think there's a problem sharing non-affiliate amazon links here

What fun would that be? I enjoy a chat. :eek:

Maybe I'm too sensitive to the hordes of disguised affiliates posting what I think of as spam on forums.