A Virus Hiding In Gut Bacteria May Cause Obesity. Huh?

Suikerbuik

I don't find this surprising to be honest, nor I think it is saying much either. The only correlation they have is that it is a phage for bacteroides.

Also keep in mind that, for things which are flora related, the (highly influenceable) environment plays a major role in how things are regulated.

Suikerbuik

Such_Saturation said:
A bit like HIV?

Mind to elaborate yourself a bit? Don't really get in what direction you're thinking :)

Suikerbuik said:
Such_Saturation said:
A bit like HIV?

Mind to elaborate yourself a bit? Don't really get in what direction you're thinking :)

Someone had said that HIV causes AIDS by increasing intestinal permeability, this one also appears to affect our health from the gut.

Hugh Johnson said:
Dr. Peat talks about that in Immunodeficiency, dioxins, stress, and the hormones. If I understand correctly he argues that HIV's actions are enabled by immunosuppressive factors. The virus itself might be mostly irrelevant to the disease.

Anyway, you should read it yourself, since I probably mangled his argument:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/immunodeficiency.shtml

Fantastic article, this thread also relevant: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3893

Perhaps one day diseases will be placed along a simple one dimensional line (think IBS-Crohn's-Asperger's-Autism-Schizophrenia-AIDS->) for intestinal health and maybe another line for mitochondrial health (y-axis) and RNA methylation (z-axis), with each patient assigned a status along the line and a treatment by a computer using fuzzy logic, accounting for each component's value.

aguilaroja

Paul Ewald has been a prominent advocate of the view that chronic infection may underlie a number of chronic diseases. One view of Dr. Peat's, in my meager understanding, is that depleted metabolism can reduce the immune response and predispose to infection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_W._Ewald

"Ewald asserts, along with a growing body of peer reviewed studies published in mainstream scientific journals, that many common diseases of unknown origin are in fact the result of chronic low-level infections from viruses, bacteria or protozoa.[2] For example, cervical cancer can be caused by the human papilloma virus,[3] some cases of liver cancer are caused by hepatitis C or B[4] and the bacteria Helicobacter pylori has been proven to cause stomach ulcers.[5] Ewald argues that many common diseases of currently unknown etiology, such as cancers, heart attacks, stroke and Alzheimer's, may likewise be also caused by chronic low-level microbial infection.[6]

Ewald disagrees with the popular theory that genes alone dictate chronic disease susceptibility. Ewald, whose background is in evolutionary biology, points out that any disease causing gene that reduces survival and reproduction would normally eliminate itself over a number of generations. Ewald says that "chronic diseases, if they are common and damaging, must be powerful eliminators of any genetic instruction that may cause them."[7] "

Suikerbuik

Yes and I don’t think this is going to take decades to find out. Awareness about co-existing of diseases is rapidly increasing already, as well as science linking multiple underlying pathways being found to be shared in chronic diseases.

http://mpkb.org/home/pathogenesis/th1spectrum ; see the chart which is based on pubmed articles.

How the immune system, metabolism, nervous system and others work together? I don't know, things go hand in hand. Cortisol has an effect on immunity as do thyroid hormones, estrogen, epinephrine and almost every other substance.
Latest research on treating diabetes is by targeting the brain?? Metformin is possible being effective in treating diabetes by altering the gut flora?? And fatigue is possibly because of metabolic downregulation caused by brain dysfunction (chronic low grade inflammation), rather than being a true mitochondrial issue, which in most cases isn't anything wrong with at all.

sladerunner69

Such_Saturation said:
post 52266 A bit like HIV?

AIDS is just a term created by the pharmaceutical industry to make a suppressed immune system profitable. A very suppressed immune system is often the result of recreational drug abuse and malnutrition. Haven't you heard of Dr. Duesenburg? Even Peat says "Dr Duesenburg has a valid assertion that has never been answered by the establishment."

Last edited by a moderator: