ALTITUDE

iLoveSugar

Just a few questions:

1) How long does it take to reap benefits?

2) What is the lowest elevation, that one could reap good benefits?

3) Are there any conditions which high altitude is negative for? I think I remember saying something about weakened lungs?

4) After settling in for a week or two, is light exercise OK? Short runs?

5) Can one really reap the same benefits with bag breathing, and other artifical ways, as they would with actually LIVING in high altitude?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

ANSWERS FROM RAY ARE UNDER THE QUESTION:

iLoveSugar said:
Just a few questions:

1) How long does it take to reap benefits?
====During the first couple of weeks, the body usually has stress reactions that have to settle down, then the improvement continues for years. A couple of months at altitude will usually cause changes that last for several months even at lower altitude.

2) What is the lowest elevation, that one could reap good benefits?
====Statistics for New Mexico showed improvement for every increase of altitude within the state--I think it's continuous, from below sea level up to around 12,000 feet.

3) Are there any conditions which high altitude is negative for? I think I remember saying something about asthma?
====I should have said respiratory diseases, meaning things like emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis. Asthma is usually improved at high altitude, above 6000 feet, for several reasons. Even in polluted Mexico City, at 7500 feet, there's very little asthma, but people who vacation in Acapulco often get asthma.

4) After settling in for a week or two, is light exercise OK? Short runs?
====I think walking should be the main exercise for the first several weeks.

5) Can one really reap the same benefits with bag breathing, and other artifical ways, as they would with actually LIVING in high altitude?
====No.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

More:

(6,000 feet)
I think those moderate elevations are very helpful. My place in Coeneo is only 6600 feet, but my nearsightedness always improves when I'm there for a few weeks. People who are very sensitive to altitude would have a headache at 14000 feet, so that was a good test.

SQu

Thanks for sharing! Explains why I didn't feel better in the mountains the last few visits.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I definitely have breathing issues, shortness of breath, etc, so I wonder if it's a bad idea for me?

SQu

Did he mean1400 feet? Think he must have. Going by my own experiences and his comment I'd say how you feel when going higher reflects your state and in my case and my husband's, we're in too much stress. Could be wrong but I'd think that like many good things including niacinamide, pregnenolone, (for me at least) altitude is one of those bootstrap things. They help you get stronger, but unless you're reasonably strong they can push you too hard and you get a blood sugar drop, migraine, etc. You've got to be strong enough to get stronger. :roll: Btw I have those breathing issues too and 10 days at altitude wasn't enough to help. I did feel more physically stressed while there.

HDD

"If hypothyroid people, with increased adrenalin and lactate, are hyperventilating even at rest and at sea level, when they go to a high altitude where less oxygen is available, and their absorption of oxygen is impaired by lactic acidemia, their “oxygen debt,” conceived as circulating lactic acid, is easily increased, intensifying their already excessive “ventilatory drive,” and in proportion to the lactic acid oxygen debt, oxygen absorption is further inhibited."

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/altit ... lity.shtml

Could this explain bad feelings?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Haagendazendiane said:
"If hypothyroid people, with increased adrenalin and lactate, are hyperventilating even at rest and at sea level, when they go to a high altitude where less oxygen is available, and their absorption of oxygen is impaired by lactic acidemia, their “oxygen debt,” conceived as circulating lactic acid, is easily increased, intensifying their already excessive “ventilatory drive,” and in proportion to the lactic acid oxygen debt, oxygen absorption is further inhibited."

So what does that imply? Don't go to sea level? Effects should eventually diminish?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

sueq said:
Did he mean1400 feet?

No, he meant 14,000 because our conversation a few days ago was regarding a trip I made to Pikes Peak at 14,000 feet.

HDD

iLoveSugar said:
Haagendazendiane said:

So what does that imply? Don't go to sea level? Effects should eventually diminish?

I am trying to understand the article. I don't think he is saying "don't go to sea level" but is using that to explain what takes place in the body. He does say in answer to your question, that it can cause a stress reaction for a few weeks.

HDD

I’m going on a short trip (4 days) to Angel Fire, NM. The base elevation is 8,000+ ft. We are planning on snow tubing and ski lessons ( something I’ve never done) and I want to feel well enough to enjoy these activities. I live at sea level and have for most of my life. Should I be concerned about altitude sickness? Would getting Diamox be helpful in preventing this? I’ve read some other threads about using aspirin, coke, and t3. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with short trips to high elevations?

From Peat’s answer above, it seems there is a stress reaction for the first few weeks at higher elevation.

mimmo123

You can bring those little co2 cartridges with you and inhale the co2 as needed. You can buy from amazon its a little spray gun they use to clean dust you just pull the trigger and the co2 shoots out. you can also use the bike tire inflaters too. Peat in his interviews mentioned his friends when they go to altitude inhale co2

heres a study about inhaling co2 at altitude...

Effect of carbon dioxide in acute mountain sickness: a rediscovery. - PubMed - NCBI

HDD

@mimmo123 That’s interesting, I’ve never used any co2. I’m somewhat afraid. Maybe, I could try it at home before the trip. I’d need to do it in a closet on the trip, so others won’t think I’m nuts. Lol

HDD

Thanks for the links. I was trying to figure out what you were referring to. My husband blows out his computers with canned ?....definitely not what you linked.

Layne

How about some oxygen cannisters? I've never seen or used one, but an acquaintance says they help him a lot (he smokes). I've also heard that some people who fly into Denver will immediately go to a spa for an hour of HBOT, and they have no problem with altitude sickness the rest of their visit. Perhaps there's a place like this where you're going?

Two weeks of 1500mg thiamine daily makes altitude much easier to acclimate to. It raises CO2 levels as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.

HDD

@Layne. Thanks for the ideas. There won’t be enough time for HBOT since we arrive late and we will be tubing and skiing the first two days. The elevation where I’ll be staying is 8,500+ .iirc.

@ecstatichamster This is very doable! I only have 10 days but I can start today. Thank you!

akgrrrl

I’m going on a short trip (4 days) to Angel Fire, NM. The base elevation is 8,000+ ft. We are planning on snow tubing and ski lessons ( something I’ve never done) and I want to feel well enough to enjoy these activities. I live at sea level and have for most of my life. Should I be concerned about altitude sickness? Would getting Diamox be helpful in preventing this? I’ve read some other threads about using aspirin, coke, and t3. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with short trips to high elevations?

From Peat’s answer above, it seems there is a stress reaction for the first few weeks at higher elevation.
Hello there, i am wondering how you felt on your trip, did you feel the need to take o2 cartridges, etc. i am just moved to Angel Fire caretaking a large facility at 9,100 ft and trying sto sort out some symptoms. Thanks

HDD

Hello there, i am wondering how you felt on your trip, did you feel the need to take o2 cartridges, etc. i am just moved to Angel Fire caretaking a large facility at 9,100 ft and trying sto sort out some symptoms. Thanks
Hi! I felt pretty good. I took thiamine (1500 mg) per @ecstatichamster before the trip. I took aspirin daily and drank cokes. I also took 1/2 grain cynoplus at bedtime. I felt a little out of breath outside playing in the snow the first day. I think others (younger than me) on the trip felt worse but they were drinking quite a bit of alcohol.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals