Best Way To Read/study When Learning At University

superhuman

Hello guys

I know food plays a major part in terms of getting your mind ready to study, focus and absorb information.

But what are the best study tecniques to use. I know just reading line to line from page to page is not the best one.
What are the best alternatives out there? ive heard about photoreading and all that but is there anything else and what have you guys used with success?

Im studying IT and informationsystems

Vinero

I dont know about study techniques, but several hundred miligrams of vitamin b1 give me a good boost to focus on my studies.

marcar72

Two things that I remember off of the top of my head in regards to study techniques. First one is that studying close to bedtime is supposed to help memory retention of the learned material. Second one was that studying to classical music (Mozart, Beethoven, etc.) is supposed to help one learn easier and retain more of the learned material. :2cents

tara

It probably varies a lot from person to person, but a couple of things I've found helpful at different times:

When reading, get really physically comfortable. For me, that sometimes meant reading in a hot bath. Definitely avoid hunger, cold, sleep-deprivation etc. Take regular short breaks to move, stretch etc.

Process the information you want to understand and retain actively, preferably in communication with someone else. Eg, find someone willing to listen while you tell them what you are learning. Maybe take turns with a fellow student, to increase the mutual benefits. Discuss. Set someone up to test you on the information (again, possibly fellow student taking turns, or someone who is interested in the topic). Start a small study group. I organised a one-off study group meeting before a couple of major exams. While I was doing it it didn't seem time-efficient, but I could tell afterwards that it helped a lot.

On your own, take notes, rewrite in your own words, draw pictures, or some way of representing the info in your own way. Practice exercises.

Allow some time apart from active study doing something relaxing/physical that does not demand a lot of mental concentration - so your mind gets to mull over new info in its own relaxed, unpressured way.

Enjoy!

Mauritio

somebody else got any recommendations?

i like to combine vitamin b1 + a little caffeine(50mg) + some food /milk/ OJ

andrewdcjr

Being interested in the material definitely helps with retention. If its strict memorization, for me it's writing it down and repetition, but for me I try to avoid strict memorization as much as possible. I have experimented with some nootropics including racetams and adderall, both increase alertness for me but don't really help in retaining information. I find when reading or going through dense material, I do best with little to no caffeine, and if I have caffeine I prefer tea, so maybe L-theanine with your caffeine may be helpful.

Francesca123

Have you ever used Anki? It's a flash card software based on spaced repetition. If you use it correctly it works well but I usually leave it to the last minute and end up with 800 cards to learn in 2 days. There is an entire subreddit dedicated to it if you need any help with it.

anyfit

some people (especially guys) learn better through exercise and practice rather than just reading and focusing on theory. adding playfulness into your studies can make it better and also give room for creating associations.
try to always break the protocol to keep your brain stimulated, dont study in one place, if you use markers use multiple colors, dont always use the same pen and so on, i found out that for me it makes my brain more open to soak in new information.

Michael Mohn

I find reading in a forest or nice park (no people) helps me with with attention and retention. Good weather helps a lot too ?.

It's important to become comfortable with not understanding everything on the first try but still finish reading a text.
Then you start over again, maybe you look up some new terms/words but don't expect to understand everything before you haven't read a text 5-7 times, maybe over a week.

Learning is about repetition and incremental progression, ultimately patience and dedication.

Grapelander

I find Italian Baroque is the music that enhances my coherence potential.

What Smart Students Know by Adam Robinson teaches you how to deconstruct a subject. Buy a used copy.

Super-Learning and Super-Learning 2000 (by Sheila Ostrander And Lynn Schroeder).

Accelerated Learning Techniques: The Express Track to Super Intelligence is an audio program by Brian Tracy & Colin Rose. I bought the CD's and burned to MP3.

My Tip:
You will have to put in the study time - and give up some things to make that time.
Look at all the questions; and understand the terms before you read the material.

Marty Lobdell - Study Less Study Smart

Peachy

There was a book I ran across, can’t remember the name, that suggested spending a little time every day reviewing what you learned (that day). I didn’t watch the video above but the same idea - study less, study smart.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals