Black Holes Do Not Exist, So There Was No Big Bang Either

haidut

Forum Supporter
Black hole are probably one of the favorite artifacts of modern physics. However, nobody has been able to explain their functioning properly without invoking paradoxes like infinities of various kinds and making General Relativity fall apart when applied at explaining them. And of course, nobody has been able to observe one since as we've been told they absorb everything, including light.
A small minority of scientists (including Halton Arp, who Ray has written about) have claimed since the 1960s that black holes do not exist. It looks like their position has been correct all along. A team at UNC claims to have managed to prove that black holes do not exist. More importantly perhaps, this suggests that there was no Big Bang as well, and consequently no expansion of the Universe.
I am not very familiar with the mathematical proof, but this news is heralded as a possible unification of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

http://unc.edu/spotlight/rethinking-the ... -universe/

"...But now Mersini-Houghton describes an entirely new scenario. She and Hawking both agree that as a star collapses under its own gravity, it produces Hawking radiation. However, in her new work, Mersini-Houghton shows that by giving off this radiation, the star also sheds mass. So much so that as it shrinks it no longer has the density to become a black hole. Before a black hole can form, the dying star swells one last time and then explodes. A singularity never forms and neither does an event horizon. The take home message of her work is clear: there is no such thing as a black hole."

"...Many physicists and astronomers believe that our universe originated from a singularity that began expanding with the Big Bang. However, if singularities do not exist, then physicists have to rethink their ideas of the Big Bang and whether it ever happened."

LucyL

Re: Black holes do not exist

:tinfoilhat Impossible. I saw the movie. And I believe I still have the viewfinder discs if further proof is needed.

Spokey

I'm no expert on astro physics, but isn't there observational evidence for black holes?

Spokey said:
I'm no expert on astro physics, but isn't there observational evidence for black holes?

How does one see a black hole if it's black? :mrgreen:

GRANT REQUEST: 400000000000000000000000000USD (four-hundred septillion)

MATERIALS: 8 oz. #1870 Linen White, 1.3x10^26 cans

A Warp Drive

SALARY: 150$/week

ETA: no

Spokey

Re: Black holes do not exist, so there was no Big Bang eithe

They didn't have apple white? I like apple white.

Too expensive. Although Apple insiders report a black hole singularity is a strong contester to next year's lineup of things that suck.

jaa

Haven't black holes been observed indirectly? It seems to me that reality is demonstrating that our physics equations (best approximations of observable reality) have holes in them somewhere and not that our equations are showing that black holes don't exist.

Edit: After a bit of poking around and reading comments by people who understand this stuff better than I do it seems that the paper isn't stating that massive objects at the centre of galaxies don't exist, it's simply that stars cannot form black holes by the processes postulated because of (math and physics :D). I've also read this study hasn't really been peer reviewed yet, so while the results are intriguing it's a bit soon to jump to any conclusions .

jaa said:
Haven't black holes been observed indirectly? It seems to me that reality is demonstrating that our physics equations (best approximations of observable reality) have holes in them somewhere and not that our equations are showing that black holes don't exist.

Edit: After a bit of poking around and reading comments by people who understand this stuff better than I do it seems that the paper isn't stating that massive objects at the centre of galaxies don't exist, it's simply that stars cannot form black holes by the processes postulated because of (math and physics :D). I've also read this study hasn't really been peer reviewed yet, so while the results are intriguing it's a bit soon to jump to any conclusions .

I think they are saying black holes are not a "hole" of sorts.

aquaman

Scienze has proven that only really really really really dark brown holes exist.

aquaman said:
Scienze has proven that only really really really really dark brown holes exist.

[BBvideo 560,340:12520guv]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCma2_X3_I[/BBvideo]

jaa

Such_Saturation said:
jaa said:
I think they are saying black holes are not a "hole" of sorts.

I think you are correct. They're also saying that the event horizon does not exist (or info can escape it).

I think "destroying information" is akin to a cup of water spontaneously boiling. Who knows how they come up with these things. There are people around who could easily pave solid ground for a common view of information and energy and communication, but the compartmentalization (departmentalization) of the research system seems to forbid flow of knowledge and viewpoints to where they are most needed.

A

Anonymous

Haidut,

Are you a religious conservative? I'm not asking in an attacking way, I am simply just asking.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Wheat&PUFAs said:
Haidut,

Are you a religious conservative? I'm not asking in an attacking way, I am simply just asking.

Nope, not at all:):
For a lack of a better comparison I think I feel closest to Einstein's view on religion. He said he identifies with the views of the philosopher Spinoza and I guess so do I. I believe in a living, intelligent Universe where things make sense and "singularities" (which to me is just a euphemism for somebody's wrong theory). I don't think that makes me a religious conservative, right?

pboy

blasphemy!

I think that's a really smart view to have. Many of the greatest scientists and philosophers had something along those lines in belief. It combines creationism with science...such as seeing the world as a creation of mechanics, that we can hone and understand...but because its a creation, one can use intuition and signs to come to new leaps of insight

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

haidut said:
Wheat&PUFAs said:
Haidut,

Nope, not at all:):
For a lack of a better comparison I think I feel closest to Einstein's view on religion. He said he identifies with the views of the philosopher Spinoza and I guess so do I. I believe in a living, intelligent Universe where things make sense and "singularities" (which to me is just a euphemism for somebody's wrong theory) do not exist. Dialectical Materialism states that the Universe is infinite but knowable, which is something Ray said in one of his books. Dialectical Materialism also assigns unique importance to matter, and many adherents to this view consider matter conscious/alive. I guess I can be labelled as a dialectical materialist as well...
I don't think that makes me a religious conservative, right?