PUFA Detox And Long Term Well Being

Xisca

I am lean and have always been, but as I can get a lot of fruits now, I have suppressed all fats.
The more i get is from eating meat and canned shellfish. I have some cheese that is 2% fat. No eggs and no coconut oil.
I have done it 1 week now I guess, want to go on 1 more, and go back to saturated fats and eggs.
And I am more nervous, very high at night, and sluggish in the morning.
I cannot eat a lot, though I try to eat as much as possible, every time I am hungry.
I have bananas, water melon, melon, papaya, cherries, strawberries, cooked apples and plums, some pineapple, peaches.... I drink coffee, have some honey and sugar, lots of dates as well. I am nearly fed up of the sweet taste!
Well I have some salads and zucchini as well.
My elbows ache more, tendinitis and a place on the bone.
As I am lean, I might as well have gone the slow pace...

Nicholas

haidut said:
For those wishing to go the quick route for PUFA depletion through exercise and reduced PUFA intake, taurine and vitamin E are crucial for protecting the liver while depleting PUFA. Also, it seems taurine can directly lower PUFA levels in tissues and brain. Here are some studies to consider for taurine. The vitamin E protective effects are well-known so I am not listing studies on it.

http://www.fda.gov.tw/tc/includes/GetFi ... 00ce2a5e59.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jaa/2013/240537/

"...Although taurine is reported to be an antioxidant, exogenous taurine was embryopathic and caused increased apoptosis rates (caspase-3 activities); increased brain HoCys levels; increased oxidative-stress (decreased brain GSH levels); decreased brain long-chain polyunsaturated levels; and increased brain LPO levels."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

http://europepmc.org/abstract/CBA/301442

interesting. thinking out loud: hadn't really thought about exercise eliminating PUFA more quickly. Previously, i was not taking Vit E with my very active job and there was always this lingering feeling that something negative was happening via the activity - developed skin issues, abnormal fatigue and dark circles under eye despite eating enough....makes me think of the liver really struggling - i also began to notice estrogenic symptoms coming back. On my days off, i find that this feeling is not there. Also working in sometimes intense humidity and it just feels toxic. Since i've been taking Vit E things seem much better but only if i take 1000mg every day. I've also noticed since taking Vitamin E that my scalp is much more sensitive whereas before it seemed to almost have little feeling.

What-a-Riot

So according to that quote, the only positive effect of exogenous taurine is fewer pufa in the brain. Everything else seems destructive

haidut

Forum Supporter
What-a-Riot said:
So according to that quote, the only positive effect of exogenous taurine is fewer pufa in the brain. Everything else seems destructive

Maybe, maybe not. According to the study taurine acts more like an oxidant. Decreasing GSH would be good if it was accompanied by an increase in GSSG (oxidized glutathione).

haidut

Forum Supporter
What-a-Riot said:
Good point. What about the increased brain homocysteine and lipid peroxidation?

That is a concern, yes. However, I tried finding other studies replicating this effect and they all found lower LPO in brain and other tissues rather than higher. Not sure what to make of it, given that taurine is studied for things like TBI and dementia and the results are rather positive.
Btw, the study only look at the effects of ethanol and taurine on embryos, to try and replicate what a pregnant person may experience if they consume alcohol and taurine (RedBull + vodka) together and the effects on their child. The study does not make any claims about adult consumption of taurine.

What-a-Riot

Oh ok yeah. I was wondering what was up with all that because ive pretty much only read positive things regarding taurine taken in pretty much any dosage according to any shedule

Nicholas

haidut said:
post 57946 For those wishing to go the quick route for PUFA depletion through exercise and reduced PUFA intake, taurine and vitamin E are crucial for protecting the liver while depleting PUFA. Also, it seems taurine can directly lower PUFA levels in tissues and brain. Here are some studies to consider for taurine. The vitamin E protective effects are well-known so I am not listing studies on it.

http://www.fda.gov.tw/tc/includes/GetFi ... 00ce2a5e59.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jaa/2013/240537/

"...Although taurine is reported to be an antioxidant, exogenous taurine was embryopathic and caused increased apoptosis rates (caspase-3 activities); increased brain HoCys levels; increased oxidative-stress (decreased brain GSH levels); decreased brain long-chain polyunsaturated levels; and increased brain LPO levels."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

http://europepmc.org/abstract/CBA/301442

very cool. so far, low-dose Taurine is the only supplement that seems worthwhile to me and kills a lot of birds with one stone. I can see it being a particularly helpful substance in the Peat prism if one is manipulating/healing metabolism primarily with food. However, like all supplements, it does have potential issues. With Taurine there's the Nitric Oxide factor. Lately i have been wondering if the NO factor of Taurine might be mitigated by being dilligent about getting a good amount of glycine in your diet (or through supplement) concurrently....

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

Nicholas said:
post 105821 However, like all supplements, it does have potential issues. With Taurine there's the Nitric Oxide factor. Lately i have been wondering if the NO factor of Taurine might be mitigated by being dilligent about getting a good amount of glycine in your diet (or through supplement) concurrently....
Care to elaborate what this nitric oxide factor of taurine is, and why it is harmful?

Nicholas

Giraffe said:
post 105861
Nicholas said:
post 105821 However, like all supplements, it does have potential issues. With Taurine there's the Nitric Oxide factor. Lately i have been wondering if the NO factor of Taurine might be mitigated by being dilligent about getting a good amount of glycine in your diet (or through supplement) concurrently....
Care to elaborate what this nitric oxide factor of taurine is, and why it is harmful?

taurine increases nitric oxide....i've not really looked into it in depth, but it seems looked down upon in the forum and by Peat.....but it's also obviously necessary for proper blood vessel functioning....i guess the issue is excess. i found out today that smoking tobacco lowers nitric oxide for what it's worth. glycine seems to lower it as well.

J

jb116

Nicholas said:
post 106168
Giraffe said:
post 105861
Nicholas said:

taurine increases nitric oxide....i've not really looked into it in depth, but it seems looked down upon in the forum and by Peat.....but it's also obviously necessary for proper blood vessel functioning....i guess the issue is excess. i found out today that smoking tobacco lowers nitric oxide for what it's worth. glycine seems to lower it as well.

Taurine however also mitigates nitrative stress. I suspect the amounts of nitric oxide taurine produces is akin to eating a carrot or beets. The benefits outweigh the perceived negative and overall the amounts derived from real food are nothing to worry about as the body takes care of business. I'm not on board with taking large doses of taurine however.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Nicholas said:
post 106168
Giraffe said:
post 105861
Nicholas said:

Do you have some references? I have studies showing taurine lower NOS and thus NO.

Nicholas

haidut said:
post 106187
Nicholas said:
post 106168
Giraffe said:
post 105861
Nicholas said:

Do you have some references? I have studies showing taurine lower NOS and thus NO.

no, i don't. i just remember reading it here somewhere (and it wasn't referenced, either)...

J

jb116

PubMed shows both which is a bit confusing. Decrease nitrative stress but increased NO.

docall18

“It’s the stored PUFA, released by stress or hunger, that slow metabolism. Niacinamide helps to lower free fatty acids, and good nutrition will allow the liver to slowly detoxify the PUFA, if it isn’t being flooded with large amounts of them.'' - Ray Peat

johnwester130

Is the 4 year theory based off someone eating coconut oil ?

Peat's writings assume the worst of the reader and that they will occasionally eat pufa fried food.