Evidence That Ketogenic Diets Cure Brain Disorders

yoshiesque

I am trying to follow Peat, and a lot of it makes sense, but sometimes there is conflicting information.

One is the fact that high fat (and essentially zero carb) diets have been used to treat brain disorders/diseases.

The author/doctor of the book - Grain Brain has cured brain disorders/diseases using pure fat diets. And there is other information about people doing the same thing. Some with just pure MCT oil (not talking about bulletproof diet though).

So it seems that there really is evidence to why pure fat diets work for brain issues. The question is why?

burtlancast

If you read "Stop Alzheimer now" by Bruce Fiffe, he gives a reasonable explanation as to how medium chain tryglycerides ( from MCT oil, or coconut oil, or made by the liver itself) constitute an alternative fuel for neurons, about 30% more efficient than glucose at producing ATP, and can enter these neurons freely.

This enables them to repair themselves.

<<These data are consistent with the hypothesis that the metabolism of ketone bodies to acetyl-CoA results in a diminution of the pool of brain oxaloacetate, which is consumed in the citrate synthetase reaction (oxaloacetate + acetyl-CoA --> citrate). As less oxaloacetate is available to the aspartate aminotransferase reaction, thereby lowering the rate of glutamate transamination, more glutamate becomes accessible to the glutamate decarboxylase pathway, thereby favoring the synthesis of GABA.>>

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/9778572

pboy

I think its actually just sugar issues, not carbs themselves...probably people that are eating a poor diet and are mineral deficient. They call alheizmers diabetes of the brain because cells aren't using sugar correctly

By giving a lot of fat, theyre essentially just giving a fuel source...but if relying on ketones, its essentially the same as relying on alcohol...exactly. None of these people ever fully recover or become optimum, they are just a little better off than without the MCT's and other fat. The real solution is just to eat a balanced diet with plenty of potassium and magnesium with all your carbohydrates, b vitamins, and enough protein...around 1:4 - 1:6 protein to carb ratio. This ensures its ability to be used

Spokey

I don't think pure fat no carb diets are necessary to benefit from ketones.The Jaminets devised therapeutic 'ketogenic' diets that had carbs in, just by adding MCTs to an otherwise decent diet. It just meant the liver wasn't forced to make ketones through starvation as is usually the case in diets that are super low or no carb.

Quickly chiming in with my anecdotal experiment: I followed a ketogenic diet for over 3 years and was quite strict about it. My results were that I lost a ton of weight and I had ENORMOUS improvements in my brain function and energy compared to my previous way of eating (SAD).

However, in the long-term, LOW-CARBING came with a hefty price. I became very glucose intolerant (literally diabetic). My metabolism, digestive system and immune system all completely tanked. My brain would not shut off at night and I lost all interest in sex. My opinion is that it was waaay too high of a price to pay and certainly was not an optimal diet for the long-term. This is merely my personal experience.

Since finding Peat and adding carbs back in to my diet, some of those old brain issues that I previously suffered from before did return, especially in the first 5 months. But Like pboy says, there were other factors (mostly malnutrition, but also hormonal issues) that needed to be addressed. As I have dealt with those over the months things have slowly, but surely, become better. Permanently. This on all accounts appears to be a deep and abiding CURE, rather than the quick fix band-aid approach of a ketogenic diet.

I personally didn't find the ketogenic diet to be a cure, but instead a novel approach that sells a lot of books with quick short term improvements while not discussing or simply ignoring the seriously disastrous health results if such a diet is followed for a long time.

I do find Peat's nutritional/hormonal recommendations to be a cure, but it does take time. :2cents

Brian

bigpeatowski, do you think you were getting an abundance of minerals? It seems like most people who try a ketogenic diet become deficient in important minerals if all they eat is meat and fat. It seems like a daily kale broth, using 0.5 to 1 pound of leaves, would fill the gaps and those who do something similar seem to get good results, like that Stephanie Keto Person on youtube. She's seems to do pretty well. Maybe because she takes care to get enough minerals.

I've never tried a ketogenic diet and probably never will, but the steady energy and mitochondria enhancement have always intrigued me. The glucose intolerance is also a deal breaker for me. There's too many enjoyable cuisines that would be completely off limits. I don't like the idea of going into a diabetic coma after eating a single potato.

Well, I was eating tons and tons of swiss chard, kale, spinach etc. Most of it was very well-cooked, either boiled, sauteed or used in stews. But I did have some very serious gut issues, so I have no idea how much of the mineral rich foods I was actually absorbing. I'm finding that minerals from ripe fruit and OJ to be easier to digest. I still eat well cooked greens on occasion, just not like I used to and only when I know my guts can handle it.

I guess we are only as healthy as what we can actually digest and absorb...

pboy

indeed, and also...even if you do go a high fat route, you still need sugar for immune system, lubrication via polysaccharides of things like the eyes and gut lining, and mucus actually facilates protection of GI lining and excretion of waste, which requires abundance of carbs, and immune system engulfing cells are also mucoid in nature, requiring abundant carbohydrate. If your thymus isn't full, like you go even a day without good carbs, your immune system takes an enormous toll

no one except I think asprey has actually mentioned this, and it was kind of glossed over or not discussed in detail or amounts if I remember, in the high fat crowd

I think I might be the only one who actually considers polyphenols bad...no one discusses this at all, other than saying they are good. Peat hints that vegetables have toxins but doesn't elaborate. The thing is, any leaf is full of tannins, which if you study animal nutrition (or human) are all antinutrients. So called antioxidants, polyphenols, are actually just tannins. Tannins are major gut irritants, binders of digestive proteins (and precipitators) and put strain on gut cells. They are certain GI disruptors