What does Ray Peat think about SEX?

NotSoAlpha

This is my first post on this forum. Hi everyone.

Ok so I like what Ray Peat has to say about food, his dietary ideas are good.

But, for a guy who is so interested in hormones, he really doesn't say much about sex!

I am interested in this because I believe sex (both with a woman and wanking) has negative effects on the body.

I notice when I abstain from sex I feel much better in every way, both mentally and physically. I really hate the apathy and fatigue that results from orgasm. You know, the sex hangover. Do you think this is related to hormones, or is it related to dopamine?

I've actually grown to kinda hate sex in a way. I mean, my sex drive is strong and I enjoy the act itself, I just hate the orgasm. It's like coming down off cocaine or something.

Does anyone know if Peat has an opinion on this matter? What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Stilgar

I never had vaginal orgasms until I started eating Peaty, so to me the thought of abstaining is a denial of a great evolution in my overall health.

Lowering prolactin and increasing dopamine is probably your main target. Lowering prolactin may be most important, I would imagine, since it rises post-orgasm. Serotonin levels may also be involved.

Daimyo

What Ray Peat thinks about sex? I think he thinks it is required to make babies...

@NotSoAlpha
Chinese people believe, that if you (as a male) cum, you lose Chi (vital energy), so men shouldn't cum too often. The older you are, the less should you cum. Women can get this energy. That's why I don't use condoms as I hate my vital energy being wasted and thrown away. The same if a girl spits... Unacceptable!

But anyway, why don't you have some food before sex, then you cum, and then you can have a nap. I think it's very relaxing...

G

gummybear

Daimyo said:
What Ray Peat thinks about sex? I think he thinks it is required to make babies...

@NotSoAlpha
Chinese people believe, that if you (as a male) cum, you lose Chi (vital energy), so men shouldn't cum too often. The older you are, the less should you cum. Women can get this energy. That's why I don't use condoms as I hate my vital energy being wasted and thrown away. The same if a girl spits... Unacceptable!

But anyway, why don't you have some food before sex, then you cum, and then you can have a nap. I think it's very relaxing...

So you are saying you think it's unacceptable if a woman don't want to swallow your semen?

Gl;itch.e

Personally I think how your body reacts to sex is down to how you view it mentally and emotionally. I know the feelings you describe post sex. But let me tell you if you are with someone you truly care about and have great chemistry with this doesnt happen. Post sex in this instance is an amazing bonding experience.

I cant see how it could possibly have a negative impact on your body unless you are in very poor health and just can not stand to lose any energy or nutrients. But then generally nature takes care of libido by regulating it around times of abundance vs famine.

OP
N

NotSoAlpha

Ok... so reducing prolactin is what I need to look at?

Hey I'm not sure you guys are really understanding that this sex hangover lasts for 2-3 days. Having a nap isn't going to help much.

Gl;itch.e said:
I know the feelings you describe post sex. But let me tell you if you are with someone you truly care about and have great chemistry with this doesn't happen. Post sex in this instance is an amazing bonding experience.

Hmmm.... so you get the sex hangover as well, but you can cure it by only having sex with women you care about? I'm not really into the whole lovey-dovey thing so this method won't work for me, but I still find this interesting - I wonder what hormones are involved in this, maybe I can supplement those hormones before I have sex and get the same effect as you?

Gl;itch.e

NotSoAlpha said:
Ok... so reducing prolactin is what I need to look at?

Hey I'm not sure you guys are really understanding that this sex hangover lasts for 2-3 days. Having a nap isn't going to help much.

Gl;itch.e said:
I know the feelings you describe post sex. But let me tell you if you are with someone you truly care about and have great chemistry with this doesn't happen. Post sex in this instance is an amazing bonding experience.

Hmmm.... so you get the sex hangover as well, but you can cure it by only having sex with women you care about? I'm not really into the whole lovey-dovey thing so this method won't work for me, but I still find this interesting - I wonder what hormones are involved in this, maybe I can supplement those hormones before I have sex and get the same effect as you?
I wouldnt say I get anything that Id notice for days after but I still know the feeling you mean. Take a little B6 after to take care of prolactin. Anything else is unrelated to the actual act IMO. Staying out late, drinking, changes in routine (missing meals, eating differently etc) that surround your sex life are more likely to impact you than the loss of a bit of semen/chi/whatever you want to call it

narouz

As far as I know Peat doesn't go in for the whole abstinence thing.
As found in some Eastern religions/philosophies,
some mentioned above.
In fact, more broadly, Peat doesn't seem to put much stock in
the widespread religious/philosophical notions promoting purification through self-denial
or purification through fasting or sweating or running....

For some reason I was drawn to
the idea, outlined above, about male orgasm and loss of semen
as a loss of energy--
a loss of creative or spiritual energy.
I believe I got that from Taoism.

But I haven't found any comparable notion in PeatWorld....

OP
N

NotSoAlpha

Glitche, I am not a fool. I have considered all things, before isolating orgasm as the number one vitality killer. I will look into B6.

Narouz, I think the Taoists might be onto something. However, for me it's not about self-denial for "purity" but for enhanced energy, drive, mental sharpness. Abstaining from orgasm has a way stronger effect on my well-being than diet or sleep patterns. This is why I am surprise that Peat has not talked about it.

There is a mainstream idea that sex is good for you and cannot be bad for you. Well, this is clearly wrong from my point of view.

Daimyo

gummybear said:
So you are saying you think it's unacceptable if a woman don't want to swallow your semen?

Technically it is acceptable - one time, on the beginning. Girls, especially the ones who did not had such a experience, are not accustomed to the taste. It is acquired taste, as for example olives or red, dry wine. I do not talk with them before as it would kill the mood.

Usually they spit the first time. Then I explain to them that thing about Chi energy, nutrients in the semen, and the fact, that I feel as she is rejecting me on some level, not accepting me completely. I also feel more loved if she swallows. I tell it all to them.

Most of them understand it and accept it. The actually like it, because they know, by doing that they can make me more happy.

10-20% don't accept and that's fine - I know I have a girl that is not compatible with me (and I am not compatible with her). We are free to find people we will be happy.

Daimyo

NotSoAlpha said:
Glitche, I am not a fool. I have considered all things, before isolating orgasm as the number one vitality killer. I will look into B6.

There is a mainstream idea that sex is good for you and cannot be bad for you. Well, this is clearly wrong from my point of view.

Just to let you know... Taoists masters can separate ejaculation from orgasm. You can have a lot of orgasms, but not ejaculate (I wouldn't count it as an contraceptive method though). It's tantric sex an all that ***t. I am not saying about my experience as I don't have this skill... Something you might be interested in, as it must sucks to feel bad after sex for 2-3 days.

HDD

"People have always suspected that sexual desire was part of the highest human functioning. The expectancy process in the most uniquely human part of the brain is as essential for good sex as it is for good art or good science. Adequate nutrition, including vitamin E, is extremely important for the full functioning of this system."

from "Nutrition for Women"

narouz

I was listening today to the August KMUD interview.
Peat was asked why women who had many kids, much nursing, etc,
seldom got breast cancer.
He replied something to the effect
that what is working keeps on working.
That the cells shared the purposiveness, the "organization"
with the mother.

So...returning to sex, denial, the Tantra, etc...
His answer would suggest to me that he would be more in the camp
of activating/using one's organ/functions/sexual energy, etc....

By the way, on ejaculation:
I believe, at the higher levels of Tantric sex practice,
the adept practitioners learn to somehow ejaculate inward. :shock:
Thus sending that creative impulse up the chakras.
It always sounded kinda scary to me.

pboy

he thinks its awesome

honestly though, its a complex topic that depends on time and place, and situation around you, and your personality type

its good exercise, but I guess its like any other exertion, it can deplete you
my personal opinion is that its healthiest to engage with a partner...for guys, masturbating is generally a waste unless its like...an absolute must for sanity sake or health or some reason
it takes like 2-3 days of good nutrition to full build up semen, so that should be an indicator of how valuable an essence it is....it gets reabsorped if not used, and recycled. The same fluids that make semen are those that make cerebral spine fluid, and nervous lubrication, spinal lubrication, joint lubrication...so you don't want to waste it
daimyos got a lot of good points, but even so...there is so much that is situational, and personal, and based on partner(s)
I think too much sex with multiple people, or indiscriminate sex, non worthy sex, is psychologically damaging or burdening, let alone time and energy burdening
I think condoms are horrible and a disgrace, if you have to use it...reconsider the person, or situation, or whatever...that's how I roll. That throws out 99% of girls, but its all good for me...if they require a condom, they aren't worth it...and probably not up to par with what im going for anyways
Overall, in a healthy way, its almost certainly highly beneficial and potentially necessary for some people, at least on occasion

Gl;itch.e

pboy said:
I think condoms are horrible and a disgrace, if you have to use it...reconsider the person, or situation, or whatever...that's how I roll. That throws out 99% of girls, but its all good for me...if they require a condom, they aren't worth it...and probably not up to par with what im going for anyways
I think that overlooks a point or two.

Im currently seeing a amazing woman, but we have to use condoms because she is not on any birth control. Knowing what we know about the dangers of estrogen and especially synthetic hormones I wouldnt feel good about asking her to use it. She is basically of the same mindset as me and that is why she avoids it.

While it would make for more enjoyable sex without them Im prepared to deal with it.

Daimyo

@Gl;itch.e

I guess your girl is already measuring her temperature? Next step is to ask her to do it in the morning (at the same time), every day, before she will get up. If she's healthy she can detect temperature when she is fertile, and when not. I am not that interested to know all the details, but you guys know that the level of estrogen and progesterone varies during menstrual cycle and that influence woman's body temperature.
I was using this method with my ex gf, for 1,5 year. With good results.

The biggest disadvantage of this method, is that when she is fertile, you can't cum in her *****.
Or you can use condom only on those days.

Obviously you need a girl you can trust. Or you can joke how bad the fate of single mothers in our society. She will get the message ;)

natedawggh

First I think you should probably meditate on your feelings about sex. You and many of the people who responded to this post have a lot of control issues when it comes to intimacy, and you are probably redirecting a lot of emotional problems into sex and intimacy and confusing the two. Also, I think its incredibly unacceptable to treat men or women as objects of sexual satisfaction, without considering the other person as an individual who is as much entitled to their standards as you are, and this forum is not really the place to have discussions on these kinds of topics.

As for Ray Peat, he doesn't say much about sex because there are not really any issues with sex in relation to hormone balance and general health, and none of these ideas put forth by other responders have any basis in science or medicine.

Physiologically there is a small increase in prolactin post orgasm, but its completely natural and is really insignificant compared with the nightly rise in prolactin in a health-compromised individual. Because you are experiencing post-orgams problems is not at all relevant to the experiences of other people. Most do not have the particular issue that you are discussing, and while it could very well be health-related, it would not at all be sex-related, but probably something to do with your diet/history/current health status, as a healthy person does not experience a deficit of energy for such a protracted time after orgasm. Also, the state a person is in post-orgasm is meant to be a pair-bonding moment of vulnerability, and many people with issues surrounding sex mistake this vulnerability for guilt or shame, which it is not.

Increasing your personal health will lead to an elimination of this, if it is physiological. Vitamin E can greatly reduce prolactin and increases healthy hormones, along with other substances that are Peat friendly, including a healthy diet. If you are on an SSRI the increases serotonin could be majorly screwing with your health. Be warned, however, that becoming healthier will lead to an increased sex drive, so if you want to avoid a healthy sex drive, you probably won't want to improve your health.