Wheat Bran Reduces Estrogen

LucyL

The old timers like to feed wheat to their dogs as the main carbohydrate because it was thought to put better muscle on them than rice or oats or corn. I'm sure it was fed as "whole wheat". Of course wheat was a different plant 100 years ago...

Peata

I'm going to try this.

My estrogen has been high (I can tell from pre-menstrual symptoms the last few days. This is despite Progest E. I tend to use approx. 300 - 400 mg. per day all month, but since my period was due to start, I reduced to about half that over the last several days. That's still a lot of Progest E. But the symptoms are the worse that I've had in a very long time: swollen, painful breasts, bloat & weight gain, some anxiety, liver or gallbladder discomfort at times, etc. Ironically the acne isn't too bad.

I wonder if it's because I've increased my regular coffee intake (and using dark roast). Lots of coffee always did aggravate my fibrocystic breasts.

Wheat bran might not be Peatish, but pretty much everything else in my diet will be. Plus I am not allergic or sensitive to wheat or gluten.

I'm rather desperate to turn things around. I've been in literal pain. I've used some aspirin to help lower the breast pain.

I won't do blood work, but I'll go by symptoms whether adding wheat bran helps.

I'll try to get at least 15 g. wheat bran fiber daily, and at least 30 g. total fiber daily.

Will probably use wheat bran itself to add to things, but also some wheat bran-based cereals if I feel like it. I'll have coffee around that time to hopefully decrease iron if I do use the cereals. I'll stop using Progest E for this experiment, and I'll keep track of things and report back.

Anything else I need or overlooked to do this?

LucyL

Peata said:
I'll stop using Progest E for this experiment, and I'll keep track of things and report back.

Anything else I need or overlooked to do this?

I would suggest not stopping the progest E for the first couple months. I'm sure you're very careful with timing of progest E etc, but if you take it too early in the cycle, it can cause breast pain. The tricky part is (according to Katherine Dalton) ovulation occurs 14 days before the onset of the cycle, so just counting from the start of the previous cycle may not be the right timing as cycles aren't always the same length. From my own experience, when I got symptoms using progest E it wasn't until I read Daltons' book that I understood why - my timing may have been off even though I was counting from the start of the previous cycle.

All this to suggest that modifying one factor at a time will give better insight into the cause :).

Peata

I've lost my notes, but as far as I can remember, in my case, when I took it the same high amount all through the cycle nonstop, I didn't have breast pain. I stopped using it in July except when I felt it was needed (like if acne came up) but it soon became clear I had to have it all month long again, so I started back in September October 1. So that would have been before ovulation, so I don't know. Like I said I've taken it nonstop in high amounts without problem. This breast pain feels to me like the kind I always got from too much coffee (caffeine?). But then really it's hard to know for sure because there have been times I had breast pain when only drinking tea which has less caffeine. :?:

SaltGirl

Wouldn't most fibers scoop estrogen and therefore reduce the load? The important part is to find the fiber you can tolerate well and eat.

SaltGirl said:
Wouldn't most fibers scoop estrogen and therefore reduce the load? The important part is to find the fiber you can tolerate well and eat.

I think bran is the only completely unfermentable fiber, sturdier than carrot. I don't know what the gluten content would be.

pboy

I cant recommend it based on my experience...fiber isn't very necessary when you have a fast, consistently fed metabolism...the gut moves anything through and liver and kidneys detox a lot out of the urine. Fiber is hardly necessary in that case. Its a burden for me at this point...plus wheat bran is kind of rough, and reduces intestinal calcium

Peata

So far so good. Stuff goes through me too fast anyway, maybe the fiber will have an opposite (and welcome) effect for me.

I have not seen an estrogen lowering effect from vegetable fiber. If that was going to happen, it would have a couple years ago when I ate low fat and almost raw -mostly raw veggies. I still had huge estrogen issues. Haven't seen much from oats or corn either.

Today... I had 21 bite-size mini Wheat (devils) + 3/4 c. bran flakes mixed, and milk. First time I've had milk in a long time (i use other dairy). Held me two hours, through my weight-lifting and grocery shopping. Later, I had .25 c. unprocessed wheat bran stirred into plain Greek Yogurt with sugar and strawberry jam stirred in. The bran gave it a coconut flake texture. I won't use so much at once next time -it made the yogurt weird. I ate more foods than this, but that was about getting in the wheat bran. Oh, I thought the wheat bran was pretty cheap. Maybe it's fallen out of fad favor these days.

So in one day, I've probably doubled my fiber intake.

I might bake bran muffins tomorrow.

lindsay

Peata - I've been contemplating trying this since Kasra posted the study on Peatarian.
On a side note, I've found vitamin E has helped greatly with estrogen dominance. Digestion is another issue I want to work on, but the vitamin E applied topically to problem spots and capsules taken orally really do help and much better than aspirin too. You might want to give that a try - it's a safe alternative.

Peata

lindsay said:
Peata - I've been contemplating trying this since Kasra posted the study on Peatarian.
On a side note, I've found vitamin E has helped greatly with estrogen dominance. Digestion is another issue I want to work on, but the vitamin E applied topically to problem spots and capsules taken orally really do help and much better than aspirin too. You might want to give that a try - it's a safe alternative.

So far I've stuck with it the 30 + g. fiber with at least half of that wheat bran. I decided to take Lucy's advice and continue with Progest E.

I can't tell anything yet. I still get diarrhea but, and forgive the TMI, it's less watery, but that's the only difference. My breast pain pretty much went away but that could be because I just finished my period, so I'm in the less estrogen dominant phase of my cycle.

As far as vitamin E, I should be getting loads of it in Progest E. I'm not sure if too much vitamin E gave me issues with my tendons cracking and popping or what.

lindsay

Peata, that's all very interesting (and don't apologize for TMI!) I can't see myself eating more than one bowl full per day of the shredded wheat, but yesterday I noticed that in the evening, I had a great bowel movement (now I should apologize for TMI) - I had shredded wheat for breakfast and it seems it worked to sweep the estrogen out of the system the way the carrot is suppose to. Only time will tell if it was the shredded wheat, but I figure I will give it a whirl for a few days.

Also, I'm not sure you get much vitamin E in the progest e - It's hard to find how much is in the little bottle. But I feel like vitamin E on it's own works really well. Even just 400 IU per day. I take K2, so I'm not worried about it's blood thinning effects, but it definitely is superior to aspirin, IMO.

lindsay said:
Peata, that's all very interesting (and don't apologize for TMI!) I can't see myself eating more than one bowl full per day of the shredded wheat, but yesterday I noticed that in the evening, I had a great bowel movement (now I should apologize for TMI) - I had shredded wheat for breakfast and it seems it worked to sweep the estrogen out of the system the way the carrot is suppose to. Only time will tell if it was the shredded wheat, but I figure I will give it a whirl for a few days.

Also, I'm not sure you get much vitamin E in the progest e - It's hard to find how much is in the little bottle. But I feel like vitamin E on it's own works really well. Even just 400 IU per day. I take K2, so I'm not worried about it's blood thinning effects, but it definitely is superior to aspirin, IMO.

I think K2 might share some benefits of aspirin as well, blocking prostaglandin production.

lindsay

Such_Saturation said:
I think K2 might share some benefits of aspirin as well, blocking prostaglandin production.

K2 has made a world of difference in my overall health. My teeth feel great now (which is a good indication of how it works) and in general, I think all the fat soluble vitamins are so important. And I even don't have a gallbladder, but I feel the effects of them.

BingDing

LucyL said:
The old timers like to feed wheat to their dogs as the main carbohydrate because it was thought to put better muscle on them than rice or oats or corn. I'm sure it was fed as "whole wheat". Of course wheat was a different plant 100 years ago...

That's a pretty intriguing post, LucyL. Please tell us the back story, would you?

LucyL

BingDing said:
LucyL said:

That's a pretty intriguing post, LucyL. Please tell us the back story, would you?

The short story is I read it in an old dog husbandry book. It's a book that is available online. I'll look for the link and post it when I find it.

BingDing

A quick, easy way to reduce estrogen is quite enticing, but I would say be cautious. Wheat germ agglutinin is a lectin, which is a protein that binds strongly to sugars, particularly on the walls of the endotheliol cells of the small intestine. It has been blamed for leaky gut syndrome by itself, and is one of the worst anti nutrients of plants.

It preferentially binds with N-acetyl-D-glucosamine, which can be bought as a supplement. Using N-acetyl-D-glucosamine with wheat bran is probably a decent way to protect yourself from damage, on the theory that the lectin will bind to the dietary sugar instead of the cell walls, and be excreted.

As far as I can tell, no one knows how much wheat germ agglutinin is in the bran, so I may be overreacting. It's your call.

References are here, and here. Google will turn up more, I'm sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals