Nutritional Difference Between Blood And Bile

johns74

What's the difference in composition between blood and bile?

Phrased differently:

What nutrients should one consume to replenish the body after a blood donation?

What nutrients should one consume to replenish the body after using a strong bile acid sequestrant (substance that binds to bile and excretes it), such as frequent use of activated charcoal?

tara

A very superficial wiki lookup found water, cholesterol, fatty acids, lecithin, taurine, glycine, amongt others used in bile synthesis. Blood cholesterol can apparently be noticably lowered by bile sequestrants. So if one had low cholesterol, one might want to take measures to increase it, and I guess if taurine and glycine are suboptimal one might want to make sure to get more of them.
Also:
"Approximately 600 mg of bile salts are synthesized daily to replace bile acids lost in the feces. The rate-limiting step is the addition of a hydroxyl group on position 7 of the steroid nucleus by the enzyme cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase. This enzyme is down-regulated by cholic acid, up-regulated by cholesterol and is inhibited by the actions of the ileal hormone FGF15/19."
not that i can understand this, but that it is considered rate limiting may mean it's important.

I guess one might also want to attend to making sure fat soluble vitamins are adequately supplied, perhaps transdermally, in case their intestinal absorption is reduced?

Could well be other things.

OP
J

johns74

Regarding bile, taurine and glycine seem like a big deal because they're also used in the brain and heart.